Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Thurlow gone you would have to assume we will draft a ruckman, probably in the rookie draft.
Yup most clubs have 3 or 4 (maybe more) at the moment we've only got 2. We'd be daft not to get at least 1 more as coverage (we can't stick Daniher, etc. in the ruck permanently due our lack of key forward depth as well.

With Thurlow gone you would have to assume we will draft a ruckman, probably in the rookie draft.

Yep, would say we're likely to go like for like on the rookie list, another ruck to chop out Belch and Giles (maybe Tagliabue, maybe someone younger like Sean McLaren), another young tall and then Jake Long in place of CD.

Yep, would say we're likely to go like for like on the rookie list, another ruck to chop out Belch and Giles (maybe Tagliabue, maybe someone younger like Sean McLaren), another young tall and then Jake Long in place of CD.
But don't we have to delist or demote a contracted player as well? That will fill our rookie quota I thought.

Seems to be some doubt here as to whether we have to delist anyone,

the club has said the list is final so I can only assume that Ambrose will be kept on the rookie list and we will have 2 live picks at the draft,
is this possible, we only have to make 3 changes to the list correct, not have 3 picks at the draft...and Ambrose can stay a rookie correct?

But don't we have to delist or demote a contracted player as well? That will fill our rookie quota I thought.
Depends if we demote them and Steinberg is staying then we'll only be using 2 of the 4 picks we'd have available in the RD (which will likely be on a ruckman as well as Jake Long). Which might indicate the club may get another KPF via the national draft. Then if we're just completely delisting a contracted play (Pears or Browne would seem the obvious candidates), then that'll free up the extra spot we need to upgrade Ambrose and we'll wind up using the 3 rookie picks on Long, a ruckman and either a KPP (preferably a KPF) or a mid/small.

Could be at the expense of Steiny given he's the only player at the club who doesn't have a deal for next year.

If it was up to me I'd just delist Pears outright to be honest

Seems to be some doubt here as to whether we have to delist anyone,

the club has said the list is final so I can only assume that Ambrose will be kept on the rookie list and we will have 2 live picks at the draft,
is this possible, we only have to make 3 changes to the list correct, not have 3 picks at the draft...and Ambrose can stay a rookie correct?
But the club were saying that we'd definitely be upgrading Ambrose with #62, and using #17 and #20 as our live selections. Doesn't make any sense that we still have one player to delist and we'll be using either #107 or #125 on McKenna with the other being used on Long.
For mine Pears will be paid out and delisted with his spot on the list going to Ambrose. Which means our draft hypothetically looks like:
#17: De Goey
#20: Cockatoo
#62: Ambrose (rookie upgrade).
#71: PASS (to be used in RD on best available KPP/mid/ruck).
#89: PASS (to be used in RD on best available KPP/mid/ruck).
#107: PASS (to be used in RD to draft McKenna as a Cat-B rookie).
#125: PASS (to be used in RD to draft Long as a F/S rookie).

Need to make three changes to the senior list, including rookie upgrades.

This is the unclear part, we have already made 3 changes to the list,

can anyone show me where it says we must have 3 draft picks, or is it just 3 changes to the list?

Also can anyone show where the club has assured Ambrose will be elevated,

He can still be given a better contract on the rookie list..

Club has said list is final so I can't see any other way it can happen..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can anyone show me where it says we must have 3 draft picks, or is it just 3 changes to the list?

Trades and free agents don't count. It used to be three additions through the draft, then the rules changed to include rookie elevations.

Also can anyone show where the club has assured Ambrose will be elevated,

He can still be given a better contract on the rookie list..

Club has said list is final so I can't see any other way it can happen..
We must take at least 3 live picks into the draft (even if like for us 1 of those is used on a rookie upgrade).
As far as list changes it means at least 3 people must be delisted in order to accomodate the draftees (the 3 list changes does not include players obtained via trade and/or free agency).
Ambrose can only be on the standard rookie contract (there's no leeway in that I don't think).
Our only option is delist a contracted player and either pay them out or place them on the rookie list (personally whoever I believe that will mean either Steinberg stays and one of Pears/Browne/O'Brien/Kavanagh, etc. gets delisted or Steinberg gets delisted and we demote one of those guys to free up the spot or else as you say Ambrose will have to stay on the rookie list.

Strange. I keep hearing Bellchambers' foot is totally fubar. Seems the Dons aren't in the market for Ruckman insurance. What did you think of Thurlow?

Were others surprised he got the chop?
Can pull in a contested mark once a month, but that's about it

This would have all been a lot simpler if you just let Winderlich go to Richmond :D

It's a minimum of three list changes of the senior list in order for a club to take the minimum 3 selections at the draft. Right now there's 38 players on the senior list before the draft. Using #17 + #19 on draftees plus #62 on Ambrose and that would mean 41 players, which is too many.

The simplest example of this, this year is 'what is trade week?' Fremantle:
3 out (Gumby, Kepler retired and Simpson delisted), so they go in with 3 selections at the National Draft.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-10-25/ambrose-set-for-elevation

The club has said today's delistings are the final for 2014, so it must be minimum 3 senior changes INCLUDING rookie upgrades. If so, 17, 20, ambrose
Look at the incomings and outgoings:
INCOMING:
Pick #17
Pick #20
Pick #62 (Ambrose upgrade)
Pick #71 (Rookie Pick)
Pick #89 (Rookie Pick)
Pick #107 (Conor McKenna, Cat-B Rookie Pick)
Pick #125 (Jake Long, F/S Rookie Pick)
Adam Cooney
Jonathon Giles
James Gwilt
OUTGOING:
Leroy Jetta
Kyle Hardingham
Patrick Ryder
Dylan Van Unen
Sean Gregory
Fraser Thurlow
Johnny Rayner (Cat-B Rookie)
Cory Dell'Olio

So unless a contracted player is demoted/delisted or it turns out that Gwilt is actually on the rookie list then we can't upgrade Ambrose plain and simple in which case we'll have one spot free on the rookie list and only two free on the senior list (which can't happen as we must use 3 picks in the national draft).

Has Steiny been offered another contract yet?

Yes. Hasn't committed yet. Should be news in the next day or so though.

And damn, now I'll never get that signed Fraser Thurlow guernsey :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back