Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We must demote/delist 1 more player. We will upgrade Ambrose, locked in, we have no choice but to pick another (3rd) player in the draft.
There is zero leeway in this.
Given the language on the EFC article, it sounds like it will be demote rather than delist. But I'm not sure those articles come from an official source... so could be delist.

Yes. Hasn't committed yet. Should be news in the next day or so though.

And damn, now I'll never get that signed Fraser Thurlow guernsey :(

Could I interest you in a Conor Mckenna one?

You bring the jumper, I carry my own Texta these days..

We must demote/delist 1 more player. We will upgrade Ambrose, locked in, we have no choice but to pick another (3rd) player in the draft.
There is zero leeway in this.
Given the language on the EFC article, it sounds like it will be demote rather than delist. But I'm not sure those articles come from an official source... so could be delist.

I agree, except I think it has to be a delisting, we can't just drop a player to the rookie list can we?
I thought we had to delist and then re draft in the rookie draft, leaving the chance other clubs could chime in, the way that article is worded is not right, surely there must be one more delisting??

I agree, except I think it has to be a delisting, we can't just drop a player to the rookie list can we?
I thought we had to delist and then re draft in the rookie draft, leaving the chance other clubs could chime in, the way that article is worded is not right, surely there must be one more delisting??
Gentlemans agreement not to touch them is in play.

Yup and if its Steinberg then we have to demote someone, would look a lot better for us to just delist a contracted player that we'd probably wind up delisting next year anyway (i.e. Browne, Pears, Kav, O'Brien, etc.). My preference would probably be Pears but that's just because with Gwilt on the list I really can see a place for him anymore.

Strange. I keep hearing Bellchambers' foot is totally fubar. Seems the Dons aren't in the market for Ruckman insurance. What did you think of Thurlow?

Were others surprised he got the chop?
A little. Even though he was barely VFL standard he was only 21 so there was scope to improve if his attitude was right (it may not have been though). You'd think the club has their eye on a decent ruck prospect to replace him with though given our ruck depth now consists of Giles.

Presumably Pears or some other fringe player gets demoted so we can make 3 changes in the draft.

Not surprised Thurlow was delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Senior list:
Aylett , Kurt - Hopefully re-signs, maybe a 2-3 year deal?
Baguley, Mark - Should re-sign, has become an important part of our backline.
Bellchambers, Tom - Should re-sign unless offered big bucks from one or a few of the minnows.
Browne, Alex
- Trade/delist, honestly can't see him being on the list in 2016 unless he forces his way into the 22.
Carlisle, Jake - Will be offered huge money, but hopefully he re-signs (5-6 year deal would surely be on the table).
Colyer, Travis - If you'd asked me at the beginning of the year I'dve said delist but now I don't know, re-sign?
Chapman, Paul - 1 year deal or retire.

Dalgleish, Lauchlan- Really liked what he's shown so far re-sign for 2-3 years.
Dempsey, Courtenay - Would like him to re-sign but is it fair to keep him down here away from his kids any longer?
Fantasia, Orazio - Should re-sign he and Z.Merrett should form a dangerous forward combo in the next year years. 2-3 year deal.

Fletcher, Dustin - The evergreen Fletch, I reckon he'll retire but we've been saying that for the last 5+ years!
Gwilt, James- Pretty sure he's contracted till 2016, otherwise 1 year deal or delist.
Hams, Will - Should re-sign, 2-4 years? Hird loves him and has said he should see plenty of senior action in 2015.
Heppell, Dyson - As with Carlisle he is a must re-sign, future skipper and possibly Brownlow Medallist. Another 5+ year deal here.
Kavanagh, Elliott - Trade/delist, if he's not given opportunity in 2015 I can't see him hanging around any longer.
Melksham, Jake - Will probably be nothing more than a fringe player in 2015 and beyond unless he recaptures his 2013 form, would you re-sign, delist or trade?
Merrett, Jackson - Was impressive early year, would think we'll re-sign both the Merrett brothers for 3 years or so maybe more.

Merrett, Zachary - Was impressive all year. Was stiff not to poll better in the Rising Star (didn't he get more votes in the Brownlow than Lewy Taylor?). Re-sign.

O'Brien, Nicholas - Same as per Kav, opportunity to play in a role he's comfortable in or its trade/delist for him.
Pears, Tayte - Its a sad story but we won't get the opportunity IMO and will either be traded to a club in need of a key defender (St Kilda?, Freo?) are he'll be delisted we all remember he begged not to be traded a few years ago, we'll let him go this time IMO.
Stanton, Brent - Will probably re-sign but I wouldn't mind seeing him traded to be honest his form has taken a nose dive in the last year and a bit and could find himself as a fringe player in 2015.

lWinderlich, Jason - 2015 will be his last I think, don't think his body Although playing him off half-back again might prolong his career?
Those are all the guys coming out of contract at the end of next year according to Duckworth although I'm pretty sure Gwilt is on a 2 year deal. My thoughts on what could happen with each are in bolded italics.

The more of Lonie's highlights I see the more I'd like us to get him, unfortunately though I think #20 is too high for him and if Steinberg stays we won't be picking him up in the rookie draft due to the need for talls (unless the club is planning on going tall with one or both picks in the ND).

Those are all the guys coming out of contract at the end of next year according to Duckworth although I'm pretty sure Gwilt is on a 2 year deal. My thoughts on what could happen with each are in bolded italics.
It was said in the article where he signed with us he was signing on for 1 year

Hams 2-4 year deal? Aylett 2-3 years? Jesus. Thank god you're not in charge!

there's not really a sensible reason for the "3 list changes" rule anymore. (if there ever was)

The only reason I can think of, whether it is right or wrong, and I suspect it is probably right, is that you don't want a situation where 20 to 30 players are getting drafted a few years in a row.

The pathway for progression from underage to elite underage and onto professional AFL is comfortably the best in Australia.

AFL looses very few players to other sports because it gets players into the system so early. You don't want to be seen to shut those players out of the system because of the squeeze on list spots.

Having watched a mate, I'd say is better with the ball at his feet than anyone who is currently playing for Australia, flounder in the VPL for years falling out with second rate amateur coaches (when he is not trying to make it overseas without the contacts) while the VIS was getting cluttered with hacks I would have no doubt advising anyone who asked to choose AFL over soccer for a career because if you're good and want to work you'll make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back