Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nominating isn't a formal agreement - it's just saying "Make it happen or I'll walk to the draft". If a player did it while contracted they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
Ryder did it and was contracted for two further years....
I was happy we got Langford and Laverde in the draft (we were biggest winners out of the draft last year for mine, at least in terms of guys that slid), don't get me wrong but Ryder, his manager and Port totally screwed us over in terms of what they were willing to pay Ryder (which I'm happy with now because he's not exactly having a great year, and because its totally screwed their salary cap management at least for this coming off-season, depending on who they cut and bring in).

Ryder did it and was contracted for two further years....
I was happy we got Langford and Laverde in the draft (we were biggest winners out of the draft last year for mine, at least in terms of guys that slid), don't get me wrong but Ryder, his manager and Port totally screwed us over in terms of what they were willing to pay Ryder (which I'm happy with now because he's not exactly having a great year, and because its totally screwed their salary cap management at least for this coming off-season, depending on who they cut and bring in).
Well yeah. Legally I mean. It can still go pear-shaped. :(

Well yeah. Legally I mean. It can still go pear-shaped. :(
Too true, if the circumstances were different we wouldn't have looked (externally; i.e. to the media and opposition clubs and supporters) like we were being outlandish by asking for their first and a quality player in return.

I think next year's going to be exciting for us, will be brining a lot of talented youth into the side for the first time in forever.

Rule 1. Don't talk about fight club
thatsthejoke.jpg

Would Port consider our second round pick for a Sam Gray.Could be a really could footballer if given a decent run at it.Still only 23 yrs old.

Would Port consider our second round pick for a Sam Gray.Could be a really could footballer if given a decent run at it.Still only 23 yrs old.

Getting a decent run at it now. So, no. Not sure how you'd value him as a 2nd rounder though.

He caught my eye last week against Hawthorn, played a great game in the midfield up against some big names. ready made midfielder.

A 2nd rounder is too generous though, especially for someone who's uncontracted, this is where we need to take advantage of our early position in the PSD for once.

So it seems that:

- Windy, Fletch and (we now know certainly) Chapman are gone
- Pears is gone
- Aylett and Steinberg will likely be delisted

Which is of course, 4 off the senior list and 2 off the rookie. That leaves Kavanagh, Browne, Dalgleish, Hams, NOB, Dempsey and Melksham as the other guys to be decided on. I exclude Bags, Buckets, Gwilt, Stanton and Bellch because the club probably wants to keep them.

Of them it seems:
- Kavanagh will be let go (given our midfield is depleted and he can't get a game despite good form in the vfl)
- NOB will in all likelihood be re-signed
- Hams will be delisted

So what happens to the rest? If I had my way:
- Browne would be re-signed on a 1 year deal
- I would move Melksham on for whatever we can get
- Dalgleish is the hardest one to decide on imo, given he has nice attributes that we need, but outside of his great start to the year, he has been in the most part pretty woeful in the vfl. Imo he really has to be a hbf to have an effect on the game, given he's not a natural reader of the play and that's where he seems to see it best. Further up on the wing he gets lost. It's 50-50, but I would just gradually lean toward giving him one more year, since injury knocked him around and I think we'll lose Bellch.
- Dempsey needs to show more form up forward to win another contract. Similar efforts to his one against GC and he's in.

Yours sincerely,

Adrian Dodoro.

P.s. Keep this on the downlow dudes. Worsfold's been on my arse about being too public.

Too early to make calls on the Kav, Browne, Hams cohort given we don't have a coach. Whoever gets the job might do what Hird did (which I think is always the right way to go) and give everyone a genuine go before making a big cull.

Unless we can cement a coach very quickly (like pre grand final quickly) I get the feeling that we might play it a bit conservative

Too early to make calls on the Kav, Browne, Hams cohort given we don't have a coach. Whoever gets the job might do what Hird did (which I think is always the right way to go) and give everyone a genuine go before making a big cull.

Unless we can cement a coach very quickly (like pre grand final quickly) I get the feeling that we might play it a bit conservative
Considering the Grand Final is a good 4-5 weeks off, there is a definite possibility we'll have a new coach by then. If we follow the same process that Carlton apparently did (which I think took about 4 weeks didn't it?), we should have a new coach I'd say at the latest a week after the Grand Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it were up to me, we'd have a far better idea of what Kav and Browne are capable of because we would have played them ahead of guys like Dempsey and O'brien from a third of the way into the season. If we played Kav as an inside mid for just half a dozen games, we'd know whether he is too small (though I don't believe he is) to do the job.

All I'm saying re. Kav is that he seems to be on the way out, because they are just about refusing to pick him since the saints game. I would like to be wrong on this, because i have a horrible feeling he'll be picked up as a rookie somewhere else and be a Miles type.

National draft is 27 November so first list lodgements will need to be done prior to draft day.

Pre Season and rookie drafts a week later on 3rd December.

3 months away still.

As it stands, we could delist senior list guys AFTER the ND and just have more rookie selections if not multiple PSD picks and place players onto the senior list.

Delistings may depend who we can secure as free agents or thru trading. For example if we get Leuenberger or similar then this makes Bellchambers expendable. If we were to get Plowman and/or Mackie then guys like Pears/Gwilt could be gone.

Seedsman is on the outer at Collingwood - could see him fitting in well off half back with his speed. We need some line breakers.

I was just about to bring up Plowman. I wouldn't mind if we were keeping in contact with his manager and sussing out all options. We need to bring in some talls (drafting and trading) and he's certainly got the attributes. It's just a question of whether he can put them to use to full effect in an AFL environment.

I was just about to bring up Plowman. I wouldn't mind if we were keeping in contact with his manager and sussing out all options. We need to bring in some talls (drafting and trading) and he's certainly got the attributes. It's just a question of whether he can put them to use to full effect in an AFL environment.
Pick 4 & Norf's first from Carlisle for Treloar and Plowman? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back