Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why not someone who won't cost an arm, a leg and both ass cheeks?

I don't actually have any concrete suggestions (apart from get Angus Litherland) I'm just saying that the 3rd tall defender position is probably one you can afford to cheat a little on and not spend big coin. Gwilt was free and he works well enough

If we are going to move on chapman, winderlich, Dempsey, pears, fletcher and possibly trade Melksham and Carlisle whilst also cutting some youngsters then we're looking at about 10 list changes and a fair bit of salary cap room free. Should be bringing in 3 players thru free agency or trading and going to the drafts with about 7 picks. Given the debacle of ruck this year there's no reason not to bring another ruckman and have McKernan played more forward. That would be 3.5 ruckmen if you consider McKernan a part timer.

When assessing the state of a list I guess it's easy to overlook a glaringly obvious indicator. The form of the 2's.

History is littered with reserves premiers going on to have snr success as a group.

People say we need a full rebuild, we dont, our twos are playing well and are in the bracket with the hawk 2s. Dogs 2s pies 2s, lists that we know are on the up or contending.

Then look at the foot of the vfl table, Carlton..... That's an entire list of s**t that needs total rebuild. We are nowhere near their category.

When assessing the state of a list I guess it's easy to overlook a glaringly obvious indicator. The form of the 2's.

History is littered with reserves premiers going on to have snr success as a group.

People say we need a full rebuild, we dont, our twos are playing well and are in the bracket with the hawk 2s. Dogs 2s pies 2s, lists that we know are on the up or contending.

Then look at the foot of the vfl table, Carlton..... That's an entire list of s**t that needs total rebuild. We are nowhere near their category.

Only thing is with our twos, generally this year from what I've observed having seen a handful of VFL games, our non-AFL listed players are our better players.

After watching last nights game I'm not extremely worried about our list. I thought there was a lot to like, Fantasia will be a really good player one day we need to persist with him, Gleeson is a good defender who'll get better with age and I enjoy the way he takes on the game. McKenna still has a lot to learn but I think we should keep him on and McKernan deserves a contract extension I think he'd be great as a permanent forward he can take a big grab. O'Brien will become a good player in time as well, he finds the ball a lot and slowly slowly he'll learn to use it better. With Myers, Watson, Bellchambers and Colyer all still to return I honestly just think if we cut a bit of the excess baggage (players that aren't performing) and bring in a handful of young guys with some promise we'll return to playing top 8 footy in no time.

Only thing is with our twos, generally this year from what I've observed having seen a handful of VFL games, our non-AFL listed players are our better players.

I guess there's a bit of that, and a bit of our group of under appreciated kids who were frozen out of the ones when we were still trying. Nob, kav, smack and co were dominant for a while there

After watching last nights game I'm not extremely worried about our list. I thought there was a lot to like, Fantasia will be a really good player one day we need to persist with him, Gleeson is a good defender who'll get better with age and I enjoy the way he takes on the game. McKenna still has a lot to learn but I think we should keep him on and McKernan deserves a contract extension I think he'd be great as a permanent forward he can take a big grab. O'Brien will become a good player in time as well, he finds the ball a lot and slowly slowly he'll learn to use it better. With Myers, Watson, Bellchambers and Colyer all still to return I honestly just think if we cut a bit of the excess baggage (players that aren't performing) and bring in a handful of young guys with some promise we'll return to playing top 8 footy in no time.

McKenna & Edwards could answer a lot of questions on our goalscoring as we haven't had good small forwards for over a decade.
They need another season though. Fantasia & Colyer add to that mix and can play through the middle.

2016, I'm thinking we line up as:
Bags Hooker Carlisle
Hibberd Hurley Goddard
Colyer Myers Zaka
Edwards Daniher Fantasia
McKenna Bellchambers Langford
Giles/McKernan Watson Heppell
Laverde Merrett Stanton Gleeson

McKenna & Edwards could answer a lot of questions on our goalscoring as we haven't had good small forwards for over a decade.
They need another season though. Fantasia & Colyer add to that mix and can play through the middle.

Bags Hooker Carlisle
Hibberd Hurley Goddard
Colyer Myers Zaka
Edwards Daniher Fantasia

That looks like a solid line up. Add to that mix whoever we draft, Parish/Francis/Curnow and I think we look alright especially that defence.. we won't concede a hell of a lot with Carlisle, Hooker and Hurley back there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

List wise our biggest requirements are a new senior coach (tick) and a new list manager.

Our list needs to be viewed objectively with no biases or reputations.

Rest will flow from there.

Do you think Woosha would be good for us? I definitely think we need a coach from outside of past Essendon players. Someone who doesn't feel as if they owe any loyalty to the current players and can make harsh decisions on those who aren't performing.

We've got a good mix of mid level talent we just need to improve our top end. Getting as many high first rounders as possible and nailing these picks is crucial. Would be great if we could land two top 10-12ish picks this year.

We've got a good mix of mid level talent we just need to improve our top end. Getting as many high first rounders as possible and nailing these picks is crucial. Would be great if we could land two top 10-12ish picks this year.
Bags, Hibberd, Hooker, Hurley, Carlisle is probably up there as the best defence in the league. All 5 are capable of AA-level footy and they're a great unit together. When we broke that up with Hooker/Carlisle upfront and Steinberg/Gwilt coming in, the heavy losses rained in.

Heppell, Watson and Goddard are A grade mids, with support from decent B grade mids in Stanton & Myers. Add to that the quality of Merrett and Colyer coming through and what Laverde has shown in a handful of games.
Zaka should be in that group. His last 2 years have been disappointing.

Our top end is pretty good. And some of the kids are pretty good.
We lack edge in the tall forwards and ruck. We desperately need to land a FF to allow Daniher to play CHF.

The only way I can see that happening is losing Carlisle.
Its a hard call on Jake in terms of what i want to happen.

Land a pick between 8-19 depending on where he goes to go with 4.
Thats 2 very good kids - esp if we can land Hartley/Brown to come in for Carlisle's spot
But we lose a very good defender in Carlisle.

Parish & Curnow vs Parish & Carlisle or Curnow & Carlisle?

Its a hard call on Jake in terms of what i want to happen.

Land a pick between 8-19 depending on where he goes to go with 4.
Thats 2 very good kids - esp if we can land Hartley/Brown to come in for Carlisle's spot
But we lose a very good defender in Carlisle.

Parish & Curnow vs Parish & Carlisle or Curnow & Carlisle?

Parish and Curnow IMO... 2 needs. I think with hooker we're able to have him go into the spot carlisles playing now and do just as good/even better.

Actually I duno.. carlisle obviously the more proven talent but I think we need to give something up to get the best of both (good young mid and forward)

Bags Hooker Carlisle
Hibberd Hurley Goddard
Colyer Myers Zaka
Edwards Daniher Fantasia
Bags, Hibberd, Hooker, Hurley, Carlisle is probably up there as the best defence in the league. All 5 are capable of AA-level footy and they're a great unit together. When we broke that up with Hooker/Carlisle upfront and Steinberg/Gwilt coming in, the heavy losses rained in.

Heppell, Watson and Goddard are A grade mids, with support from decent B grade mids in Stanton & Myers. Add to that the quality of Merrett and Colyer coming through and what Laverde has shown in a handful of games.

We lack edge in the tall forwards and ruck. We desperately need to land a FF to allow Daniher to play CHF.

No run from defence. Too slow.

Goddard not A grade.

None of the small forwards have shown enough to suggest they'll definitely be AFL.

Only hope is if guys like Zerret and Laverde become top 20 mids in comp.

Parish and Curnow IMO... 2 needs. I think with hooker we're able to have him go into the spot carlisles playing now and do just as good/even better.

Actually I duno.. carlisle obviously the more proven talent but I think we need to give something up to get the best of both (good young mid and forward)
We aren't exactly short of young midfield talent
Gleeson, Colyer, Zaka, Laverde, Merrett's, NOB, Edwards, Fantasia, Kavanagh.

I could handle us going for the best KPF with our first pick. Esp since we will have a good second rd pick, and there are some gems (albeit in need of polishing) to be had in the 2nd and 3rd this year. I think Lovell, Partington, Snelling, Brind, Milera, Hibberd and Gresham all add to that depth.
Surprised Ainsworth as a small fwd hasn't had a lot of mention either.

No run from defence. Too slow.

Goddard not A grade.

None of the small forwards have shown enough to suggest they'll definitely be AFL.

Only hope is if guys like Zerret and Laverde become top 20 mids in comp.
harsh on Goddard. He's been off his game a bit, but is still class.
Not wrong on our small forwards. Too few games in them to date.

We aren't exactly short of young midfield talent
Gleeson, Colyer, Zaka, Laverde, Merrett's, NOB, Edwards, Fantasia, Kavanagh.

I could handle us going for the best KPF with our first pick. Esp since we will have a good second rd pick, and there are some gems (albeit in need of polishing) to be had in the 2nd and 3rd this year. I think Lovell, Partington, Snelling, Brind, Milera, Hibberd and Gresham all add to that depth.
Surprised Ainsworth as a small fwd hasn't had a lot of mention either.

Thats because Ainsworth isnt eligible to be drafted this year. He's like Berry, both stars who will be high picks next year

Gleesons not a mid, Zakas hasn't done much in the last few years for various reasons, zach is a star, nob... he'll be alright with more talent around him, will never be a leader, edwards is a forward and fantasia is going along ok too. Kav probs wont even be on the list next year.

Watson, goddard, stanton all on the outer in a few years too... Mid has been a problem with us as much as forward IMO

Agree with a lot of what you're saying but with Watson, Goddard and Stanton getting on we need to brace for the future. In a few years time we will only have Heppell as a legitimate top end talent in the midfield, the rest will be good or very good but we need top class mids to compete with the best (especially those who can contribute on the scoreboard).

If we could land a Parish and a top 10-12 KPF in this draft we would be well on or way in my opinion.

Agree with a lot of what you're saying but with Watson, Goddard and Stanton getting on we need to brace for the future. In a few years time we will only have Heppell as a legitimate top end talent in the midfield, the rest will be good or very good but we need top class mids to compete with the best (especially those who can contribute on the scoreboard).

If we could land a Parish and a top 10-12 KPF in this draft we would be well on or way in my opinion.

I agree but I think zach has shown enough o say he'll be in the top end of talent. Won't be a middle of the pack player IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back