Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the update captain obvious… muppet.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Reaction GIF

So all the talk in the past season was McKay leaving - don’t worry we have Logue there , he does his knee
Ok McKay is gone and Logue is out for a while - we bring in 2-3 unproven kpd and Chom is sent back to help out but we have corr to coach them out there

If we didn’t have bad luck we’d have no luck at all

So all the talk in the past season was McKay leaving - don’t worry we have Logue there , he does his knee
Ok McKay is gone and Logue is out for a while - we bring in 2-3 unproven kpd and Chom is sent back to help out but we have corr to coach them out there

If we didn’t have bad luck we’d have no luck at all
Thank you Albert King

The fact he’s Captain.

Also, if he returns to form then he’s absolutely valuable.

He's a hugely capable shutdown defender in mid and small forwards

One of the few blokes in the comp who gets the job done on Toby Greene more often than not.

Agree on Clarksons fwiw. I don't see the footy brain of Sicily in Comben, but it can't hurt to try. And imo he needs to play 18+ games in a year sometime soon or he might just call it quits out of frustration

No need for personality clash stuff to get any more bandwidth where you and I concerned imo, water undef the bridge.

Hard to tell re footy brain on Comben. He seemed to lead to ghe right spots as a forward.

He's a great size and aggressive at the contested, I reckon we Clarko sees his ceiling (God I hope so) as Jarryd Roughead when he played CHB.

Agree on Clarksons fwiw. I don't see the footy brain of Sicily in Comben, but it can't hurt to try. And imo he needs to play 18+ games in a year sometime soon or he might just call it quits out of frustration

Just peeling this part off - I do see the footy brain there with Comben. It may be more what I've heard him say rather than what I've seen him do but he understands and can explain complex tactical plans which is something we all appreciate was beyond Ben McKay for instance.

Just got back from training - Bloody hot but the boys were cracking in.
Few notes

Jai and Bull love to get the rigs out

Chom one of the first out. Just doing run throughs and some agility work on the ankle. Participated in the majority of the session.

Can confirm the TT was there but was purely doing walking laps with Curtis Taylor for about 45 minutes. CT mentioned a slight niggle in his back but should be back soon. Just on TT, didn't realise how big he actually is in person. Hope he can get over whatever is niggle is soon.

Rehab group consisted of LDU, Arch, Lmac, Fish, Geroge and Griff. All of those boys did some separate drills, mainly just light kicking with LDU and Lmac doing constant laps with increased and decreased intensity. George, Fish and Arch were doing them later one. Probably going for a good hour it seemed.
Griff was just doing constant runs with agility work.

Everything Sheez does is all class, kicking off both feet, one touch player, evasiveness. Highly doubt we will see any second year blues from him.

After warm ups the broke into groups of around 10 and did some 5 v5 drills in confined spaces. Aim seemed to be to draw a player before giving off and then breaking clear for a shot on goal. Bull was really vocal in the group I was watching. Sheez couldnt be touched. Warlord is a killer.

2 on 1 kick to kick from 50 into the goal square. Chom was marking everything against Biggie and Goater while in the opposite group, Sheez was getting the better of Colby and Hards.

They did some wrestling drills after this, one person having to protect the ball and the other trying to get it off them. Jai goes very hard here and you can tell his fitness is at another level, was up against Powell and after a break, Powell was bent over catching his breath, Jai was ready to go again. Really does lead from the front in everything he does. Warlord was another who impressed me here. Just does everything with intensity.

Next up was some match sim. Short 5 minute burst. No real centre square work as it was just kick one way or another to start it off, or it would be from a boundary throw in. Jai was great around stoppages, stood out the most imo.
Ford cracks me up, really nice user and composed, him and Paul Curtis collided head on in a 50 / 50, both were fine, Ford must not have liked something as ran a good 15 meters just to go give Curtis a big him and shoulder.

Scott just doesnt not stop running, absolute freak in that regard, especially in the heat. Ball use was generally good.

Dylan Stephens was really nice in match sim, finished off a could of nice link up plays with goals on the run from about 45. Something I feel the team has lacked in for quite a while. Didnt realise who he was until he kicked the second.

Chom played about 10 minutes of match sim, can confirm played down back and looked fantastic. One on Ones, tick. Reading the play, leaving his man for a big intercept that lead to a goal to Paul Curtis.
Pink also defended really well and his ball use wasnt any worse than one Ben Mckay. Short kicks all found there mark.

Corr - Can confirm what looked like a really bad ankle, happened right in front of me. Couldnt put any weight and was telling the trainers is was really bad. Lets see what comes out from that. Hopefully not as bad as first impressions but didn't look good.

Colby - Boy of boy does he look classy. Played down back and used the ball perfectly. Great give and goes, always looking to link up. Might be one sided but damn if that side isnt exquisite.

Dursma - Didnt see a huge amount but will be a big boy in a couple of years, what he did do was classy though, very one touch, especially when marking.

Last notes. Team seem very vocal, really tell each other where to go. Also not afraid to give each other advice or constructive criticism on the spot. To me that's a sign of a good team. Hopefully it all clicks.

Would have love to have provided more insight but some players I just didnt recognize, play happening on the other side of the field or players in different numbers.

Promising signs.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Interesting stuff mate, appreciate it.

So Colby at HBF eh. Was Fisher playing in defence too?

(I wonder how the job sharing arrangement will work, when there’s also Sheezel. How do Hardeman, Bergman and Goater get a look in)

Interesting stuff mate, appreciate it.

So Colby at HBF eh. Was Fisher playing in defence too?

(I wonder how the job sharing arrangement will work, when there’s also Sheezel. How do Hardeman, Bergman and Goater get a look in)
Fish was with the rehab group today so just doing run throughs and laps for the most of it.

Yeah its an interesting one, personally I would prefer Sheez up the ground into the forward mid role. It might just be that currently he is the best option down back until someone else steps up and he can be released.

The thought of Sheez and Colby linking up off half back is pretty enticing though.

Couple of points on the others you mentioned.

Hardeman - Couple of double clutches and fumbles today, also a couple of kicks the had a bit of helicopter about them. On today I dont think he is playing in the 1s to start with. But adding to that, he certainly has the modern attributes you look for in a half back.

Bergman - Just so clean. Should be in the starting 22. Doesnt miss targets. Think today I saw him take the wrong target once, and that still was to a 50/50 and went out of bounds.

Goater - Not a defenders a hole im afraid. He got burnt by stevo a couple of times in earlier drills on the lead. He was harsh on himself to. Match practice looked better but was playing more a defensive winger role than purely defense. I think with him he is a bit to reactive as a backman. Would love to see him just play on instinct and attack. Then I think we see more of the first game he played in 2022 or the last game against GC this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fish was with the rehab group today so just doing run throughs and laps for the most of it.

Yeah its an interesting one, personally I would prefer Sheez up the ground into the forward mid role. It might just be that currently he is the best option down back until someone else steps up and he can be released.

The thought of Sheez and Colby linking up off half back is pretty enticing though.

Couple of points on the others you mentioned.

Hardeman - Couple of double clutches and fumbles today, also a couple of kicks the had a bit of helicopter about them. On today I dont think he is playing in the 1s to start with. But adding to that, he certainly has the modern attributes you look for in a half back.

Bergman - Just so clean. Should be in the starting 22. Doesnt miss targets. Think today I saw him take the wrong target once, and that still was to a 50/50 and went out of bounds.

Goater - Not a defenders a hole im afraid. He got burnt by stevo a couple of times in earlier drills on the lead. He was harsh on himself to. Match practice looked better but was playing more a defensive winger role than purely defense. I think with him he is a bit to reactive as a backman. Would love to see him just play on instinct and attack. Then I think we see more of the first game he played in 2022 or the last game against GC this year.
Nice. Three last questions from me:

Were Drury, Hansen Jnr and/or Maley showing any signs of being up to standard during match sim?

Who was facing off in the ruck contests, and how did they look?

Also, just on that - CCJ. Is he back to doing full contact stuff?

Nice. Three last questions from me:

Were Drury, Hansen Jnr and/or Maley showing any signs of being up to standard?

Who was facing off in the ruck contests, and how did they look?

Also, just on that - CCJ. Is he back to doing full contact stuff?
Drury did some early drills, beautiful kick of the footy, was doing laps a little later on. Didn't see him in match sim.
Hansen Jr was out there, unfortunately didn't get involved much but did get himself into some good positions

The didnt have any center square action that I but around the ground it was Maley and Xeri. Maley is a good size lad, will be interesting to watch him developed.

CCJ - Didnt notice him much except for taking 1 nice contested mark in match sim.

Drury did some early drills, beautiful kick of the footy, was doing laps a little later on. Didn't see him in match sim.
Hansen Jr was out there, unfortunately didn't get involved much but did get himself into some good positions

The didnt have any center square action that I but around the ground it was Maley and Xeri. Maley is a good size lad, will be interesting to watch him developed.

CCJ - Didnt notice him much except for taking 1 nice contested mark in match sim.
Cheers buddy. Appreciate it.

Each pre-season I provide my thoughts on each player in jumper number order. Reckon my thoughts might be a bit different to some especially with the BFWBC.

Let’s go.

1. Hugh

Now that Cunners has gone he is our most experienced inside mid. Can’t see him starting in Rd 1 but is likely to get a gig as the battering on the bodies of the younger mids takes effect. His versatility is his best asset. Not a world beater but good depth and cover for the young mids as the season wears on.
Oh thats why this page grew during my work day.

He was this year (and not a great one based on on-field deeds). Will he be again next year?

in what position?

I have no idea but I would love to see one of the two made captain outright , probablt Jy. LDU vice.

Lukes leadership on the ground will be more important this year than ever so I think we just let him play and be an on ground leader down back. Lockdown defender, give him a job weekly. Pressure defender and a leader to keep structures in a new inexperienced backline - crucially important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back