Toast Travis Varcoe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

could he be about to turn it on again?
Looking like he's not that far away from finding his late 2011 form where he was averaging 19 disposals and 1.3 goals per game. Just looks like he's starting to find that swagger and boy! If he can get there and we have Caddy, Christensen back upto speed heading into finals, we are completely different team.

Looking like he's not that far away from finding his late 2011 form where he was averaging 19 disposals and 1.3 goals per game. Just looks like he's starting to find that swagger and boy! If he can get there and we have Caddy, Christensen back upto speed heading into finals, we are completely different team.
Just missing Stokesy who, when fit, will complete the Fab Four! (maybe Hartman can fill in for Stokesy, meanwhile?)

welcome back!!!

Go Catters

Did I have too many reds on Friday or was he cringeworthy in the first half?
I still don't like how he doesn't seem to want to take possession.

Even in that bloody good play above he seems completely hesitant to take the ball. Yes he was under pressure.

Bloody amazing he got up so quick.

I'll admit, I can be pretty irrational about Varcoe sometimes. And my feelings change depending on outside circumstances rather than the man himself, which can feel pretty silly.

I like Varcoe when he's the cherry on the cake.
When he has to be the cake (because of injuries etc), he drives me mad!

*When we have a reasonably fit list and he disappears for patches, but bobs up with a couple of silky goal-resulting moves when it matters, I'm very happy he's in the team.

*When we have an injury-hit or down-on-form list and he disappears for patches, I find myself thinking 'he's in his prime and over 100 games and we barely have two of those to rub together so he bloody well should step up!'

*When he is the one who is injury-hit and down-on-form, and disappears for patches and bobs up to turn the ball over to the opposition and actually starts hurting us rather than just not helping us, I want him out of the team.

That last category has only happened once. Now I swing between the first two (where I want him in being who he is or want him in being who he isn't).

*When we have an injury-hit or down-on-form list and he disappears for patches, I find myself thinking 'he's in his prime and over 100 games and we barely have two of those to rub together so he bloody well should step up!'

he also entered the league when small forwards were a permanent commodity in the game. Could spend his first 3-4 years crumbing at the feet of our talls but the game evolved and it meant small forwards then had to become part-time midfielders but some of these blokes aren't blessed with the ability to run all day long. I would hate to think how Stephen Milne, Nathan Brown, Daniel Motlop, Jeff Farmer or Paul Medhurst would go in today's game because how many of those would be able to rotate through midfield but also have their usual composure in front of goals after doing extra work further up the ground?

When Scotty came along, we saw Varcoe become a much more 'rounded' footballer and while he may not be as productive as some, he's still learning on a weekly basis and like Stevie Johnson, we have to take the bad with the good at times.

LOL...How long has it taken? Let's wait another year before he shows up again shall we.
Having said that, he is improving gradually. Just worth a game at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit left-field, but Michael O'Loughlin on AFL Gameday said Travis Varcoe and Adam Goodes are his uncles?

Bit left-field, but Michael O'Loughlin on AFL Gameday said Travis Varcoe and Adam Goodes are his uncles?
Everyones an uncle in indigenous circles.
My partner has about a million cousins that I don't think she's even related to :)

Interesting reading back through his thread (originally posted as a "Toast"). Had 3 kicks today with 1 ineffective and 1 clanger. 8 handballs for a total of 11 possessions. Seems like he just skirts packs waiting for the easy ball and his pace is well below what it was. Impact *way* below. What do we do with him?

Interesting reading back through his thread (originally posted as a "Toast"). Had 3 kicks today with 1 ineffective and 1 clanger. 8 handballs for a total of 11 possessions. Seems like he just skirts packs waiting for the easy ball and his pace is well below what it was. Impact *way* below. What do we do with him?

Why are people so unkind?
After all, he's totalled a massive 20 effective disposals in the last 3 games. Total. And so what if that includes hospital handpasses and 3-metre dink handpasses.
That's 20 more effective disposals than Shroder, Brown, Walker, Stringer and Sheringham combined in those 3 games, and 18 more than Thurlow, and yet people want to replace him with one of those blokes.
I ask you.:cry:

Check the game stats deluded ones!....equal 18th disposals and 20th game points, AFL.com.

It should be a roast!....and he should be toast! :D That speed is something to behold (the yarran chase down)

Last edited:
Check the game stats deluded ones!....equal 18th disposals and 20th game points, AFL.com.

It should be a roast!....and he should be toast! :D That speed is something to behold (the yarran chase down)
I thought the Yarran chase was pathetic and although he has done some good things this year his recent form as been patchy, his game against Carlton was very poor. Some coaches would drop a player purely for that pathetic chase but I am convinced he should be dropped on form. Given Bews and Thurlow both have a bit of pace I don't see a problem and I can't imagine those young guys playing for a spot giving up a chase so easily as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back