Trigg replacement? who will it be

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMHO our problems are much greater than personnel. It is about the culture of the AFC. Since 1997/98 we developed an attitude that we only need to remain competitive and we will eventually win more flags. Contrast this with the total overhauls that occurred at Geelong and Hawthorn. We need someone who is willing to take a long term approach to all things at the AFC. If that means winning 8 games this year in order to win 14 games next year then so be it.

It starts with the CEO and Board backing the coach to take a longer term approach. It includes building the best group of coaches available, not the best group of coaches that have played for Adelaide (or Geelong). It means accepting criticism from within when things are not working rather than moving the dissidents along. Most of all it means being as open and transparent as possible.

Many of the clubs who have made disastrous coaching appointments have chosen the guy who tells them what they want to hear (" just a little finetuning and we our top four material"). The same applies to appointing a CEO. We need someone who will lead the change process not someone who accepts the status quo.

Last edited:
IMHO our problems are much greater than personnel. It is about the culture of the AFC. Since 1997/98 we developed an altitude that we only need to remain competitive and we will eventually win more flags. Contrast this with the total overhauls that occurred at Geelong and Hawthorn. We need someone who is willing to take a long term approach to all things at the AFC. If that means winning 8 games this year in order to win 14 games next year then so be it.

Ir starts with the CEO and Board backing the coach to take a longer term approach. It includes building the best group of coaches available, not the best group of coaches that have played for Adelaide (or Geelong). It means accepting criticism from within when things are not working rather than moving the dissidents along. Most of all it means being as open and transparent as possible.

Many of the clubs who have made disastrous coaching appointments have chosen the guy who tells them what they want to hear (yeah, just a little finetuning and we our top four material). The same applies to appointing a CEO

Keep calm and let Roo complete his work

I would love to get someone from outside the club but there does seem to be a real lack of CEO talent in the industry. The same names seem to be getting recycled at other clubs.

I bet we promote from within and I reckon it will be David Noble. Not sure what he would be like as a CEO but I think he is doing a very good job in the role of a list manager along with 20 other roles he is filling at the moment.

Greg Swan would be great but is likely to end up elsewhere

Need to test whether Brian Cook would have the passion for the role

Haysman IMO is a little under-rated and would do a fine job

Noble the best if the internal candidates

But it's just dawned on me, it's coming from within. Think about it, Carlton just poached our dodgy CEO. Is the talent pool so low?
that's a good point actually... either Carlton have spectacularly and catastrophically over-estimated the abilities of our ex-CEO, or its absolutely barren out there.

or its both?

We're about to do a CEO search at my job - it's tough. You probably DO want to look within SA first, but perhaps outside the football industry.

Jamie Cox?

Has Noble got any CEO credentials at all? I mean I know Smart hasn't, but has Noble? If we are just looking for a football person I'd prefer Neil Balme. We shouldn't go with anybody who has been a party to our dismal last half decade. No one deserves a promotion so no one should get one. Need fresh blood.

Andrew Catterall?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a bit of a robbing peter to pay paul situation isn't it? If we make Noble the CEO, then they need to find a new football head?
Look if I'm a footy person and my job is watching players, identifying draft choices, organising trades, flying around the country marshalling teams of scouts - great.

Then someone says hey - do you want to sit in an office, think up income streams, meet with corporates , go lengthy board meetings - oh s**t where do I sign:rolleyes:

I for one really don't want Roo running the club.

Should he fail, he would be run out of town. I don't want a legend of the club to have that happen

Has Noble got any CEO credentials at all? I mean I know Smart hasn't, but has Noble? If we are just looking for a football person I'd prefer Neil Balme. We shouldn't go with anybody who has been a party to our dismal last half decade. No one deserves a promotion so no one should get one. Need fresh blood.
As I said in other thread, AFC sent noble over to Harvard to do an MBA and have had him getting a taste of every role in the footy department....

Exactly my thoughts. It actually seems as of noble is one of our best football assets, let's keep it that way. Keep him doing the on field related roles that he seems to do so well and get a real business person for CEO.

You can guarantee Swann will end up in Queensland, the AFL will make it happen. Smart stuffed his chances earlier in the year, Cooke will retire after Geelong. Haysman is an interesting choice, he doesn't quite get enough credit for the job his did, laid the groundwork for KT and Kochie.

Whoever it is needs to be a highly successful, motivated and innovative businessperson. Love of the club is handy but it need not be a prerequisite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back