Society/Culture "Triggering" and whose responsibility is it

Remove this Banner Ad

So I can totally get why trigger warnings for some topics are a good idea
Trigger - or content - warnings have been found to be ineffective at best, and at worst, they actually prime the reader/listener to have a reaction before the actual content in question is even displayed to them, making them often worse for the person than being ambushed by it. Those warnings are one of those all-too-common things that people do because they want to do right (or be seen to be doing right) but are actually making things worse.

Trigger - or content - warnings have been found to be ineffective at best, and at worst, they actually prime the reader/listener to have a reaction before the actual content in question is even displayed to them, making them often worse for the person than being ambushed by it. Those warnings are one of those all-too-common things that people do because they want to do right (or be seen to be doing right) but are actually making things worse.
How are they being ambushed by it when they're being warned lol

How are they being ambushed by it when they're being warned lol
Because until the warning was given, there wasn't a thought given to said thing.

For example, pretend you are deathly afraid of spiders. Until I said 'Watch out - this thing has spiders', you weren't thinking about spiders. But now you are, and now you are primed for (or possibly even have) a panic.

Because until the warning was given, there wasn't a thought given to said thing.

For example, pretend you are deathly afraid of spiders. Until I said 'Watch out - this thing has spiders', you weren't thinking about spiders. But now you are, and now you are primed for (or possibly even have) a panic.
So give a warning so people have a choice not to continue the story/video = too triggering
No warning and letting people read/watch without warning = too triggering

Yeah, I can't see any issues with this /s

So give a warning so people have a choice not to continue the story/video = too triggering

It is what it is. You can't protect people from everything.

For the record, the standard warnings on tv and movies etc in relation to their rating is perfectly fine, and a good thing.

Don't think about Pink Elephants.

Don't do it. Nah uh.

Definitely don't think about Pink Elephants.

fbe9598722a0003430a088001db3cfa0.jpg

Sums it up about the whole thing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For you, perhaps.

This wholly dismissive attitude seems to emanate from people who go rank on socials if they see, for instance, a person of the "wrong" gender or age or ethnicity or sexual orientation getting some sort of praise or recognition or reward for their speech or actions.

Or even just standing up for themselves.

I also think it's an imperfect solution to a problem.

See, trigger warnings are a crutch for those who are not ready/haven't dealt with an issue and will end up getting triggered by something. While trigger warnings can cause increased anxiety, someone putting on some art/whatever does not know the complexities of what has happened throughout the course of each of their audience's life. You don't know what they might need help with, and you can't spend the time with each and every person who might be at different stages of healing. You also can't really help them completely; you mightn't be qualified to do so.

A person who has a broken leg requires crutches to keep them from walking on the broken bone, and once they've healed adequately the crutches aren't necessary. Seeing someone else wearing crutches might cause that person to remember what having a broken leg is like, but that does not entail that you have a broken leg again. Could the same not be true of a trigger warning?

I knew a woman who was the victim of some serious abuse as a child. She became an artist and some of her art was aimed at dealing with her abuse. She used to post trigger warnings when she was promoting her art and on the door of her shows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew a woman who was the victim of some serious abuse as a child. She became an artist and some of her art was aimed at dealing with her abuse. She used to post trigger warnings when she was promoting her art and on the door of her shows.
probably a more meaningful/ informed use of a trigger warning (informed by her own lived experience)

I also think it's an imperfect solution to a problem.
Definitely.

But the best solution is more accessible, quality mental health care. As always, that's about money.

The worst thing is, if you are someone who modifies your behaviour eg voting and campaigning based on what your side has told you the other side is like, you are gone.

I’m many cases ( let’s use ‘leftards’ here but it applied both ways. )

Most of what has been pinned to leftardry does not in fact exist. But witness MAGA. They hate a construct so much they will overlook the clear signs that trump is a poor choice

probably a more meaningful/ informed use of a trigger warning (informed by her own lived experience)
Yeah, exactly.

I've got PTSD. It gets triggered by some images from Palestine and Ukraine or other warzones past and present. I've never been to war, the PTSD is from other stuff and that particular element of it that gets triggered is due to seeing kids who've lost their parents. (Or anything with kids like parents losing their children to bombing campaigns etc etc but that's kind of less triggering and more due to the associations.) I wouldn't expect trigger warnings for any news reports I see from that part of the world.

I wouldn't compare the events I've experienced to cause me trauma to hers or other people's either. For me they were nowhere near as horrific experiences. Not even horrific just intense most of the time. More something that came afterward as I processed the events and experiences and their implications. or sat down and caught my breath. There are degrees of trauma and intensity of reaction to events.

The worst thing is, if you are someone who modifies your behaviour eg voting and campaigning based on what your side has told you the other side is like, you are gone.

I’m many cases ( let’s use ‘leftards’ here but it applied both ways. )

Most of what has been pinned to leftardry does not in fact exist. But witness MAGA. They hate a construct so much they will overlook the clear signs that trump is a poor choice
This doesn't make much sense. How is it related to the topic?

Fair enough if you have lived through some sort of traumatic experience.
I absolutely don't give a s**t if you are triggered on behalf of what someone else may or may not be triggered by.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back