Code:
B:    Brad Nicholls     Phil McGarry     Paul Snare
HB:   Craig Crowley     Peter Johnston   John Glynn
C:    Stuart Glascott   [U]Darren Carlson[/U]   Phillip Philcox
HF:   Ray Sarcevic      Gary Dempsey     Chris Van Wyk
F:    Chris Stacey      Brett Thompson   [b]Gordon  Coventry[/b]
R:    Peter Riewoldt    Zane Taylor      Jason Cotter
I:    Gavan McGuane     Paul Drever
I don't know who this Brett Thompson is, but if he forced Nuts to the pocket, he must've been good!

Re: Darren Carlson (1987 - 1990)

I don't know who this Brett Thompson is, but if he forced Nuts to the pocket, he must've been good!

I was about to say... knew he had a long career but that is ****ing ridiculous!!!

Also leads to another trivia question: what side/s were Gary Dempsey & Gordon Coventry named together in.

Also I'll take some credit for getting ole' saggie bags Glascott as a Southport wingman!!!

Re: Darren Carlson (1987 - 1990)

I was about to say... knew he had a long career but that is ****ing ridiculous!!!

Also leads to another trivia question: what side/s were Gary Dempsey & Gordon Coventry named together in.

Also I'll take some credit for getting ole' saggie bags Glascott as a Southport wingman!!!

They played for Southport Sharks I think, sometime in the 80s.

Which former Fitzroy player was Nick Stevens' grandfather?

He was a ruckman, who also played at centre half back. He played between 50 and 100 games.

OK, if you're hoping for the questions to get easier, you are out of luck.

Who am I? I was the son of a former Fitzroy captain. I played in the 50s as a centre half back. My first season was hampered by bouts of jaundice, and my second season by a knee injury. I played for three years, after which I got a teaching job in Wangaratta and left Fitzroy.

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread:eek:, but in case there is, which former player designed this logo?

2h717o7.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are not alone Grim;)....just never know the answer to the questions, but I check the thread in case I do know it....one day maybe:eek:

Yeah, questions are quite hard, MacMum. I have been researching Fitzroy's history in the 1950s, and have tried to put forth a few of the more interesting aspects, but I realise few, if any, will know much about that period in time.

Jamie Cooper ?

Not him. He is much more well known.

The answers to all four questions are from players who played in 1954.

2nd question - three parts:

a. What year was the Fitzroy club song invented?
b. What song was it based on?
c. Who came up with it?

a) 1955
b) Le Marseillaise
c) Bill Stephen & Ken Ross devised it between them on the trip home from a footy trip to Brisbane (ironically).

I admit I had to look it up as I knew I'd read this before but couldn't remember the exact details.

Correct Brain of Morbius, although it seems there are some differing accounts on the finer details. This is Bill Stephen's account, from 1968:

"In 1952 we were going to Perth by train for the end of season trip. We did not have a club song and I suggested we make one up."

"I knew of the Marseillaise - it's a striking tune - and half a dozen of us got together and put our own words to it."

Here is the reference that Brain of Morbius may have been referring to:

The Brisbane Bears actually had their own song, but wisely embraced the former Fitzroy club song (with a couple of minor changes) when the clubs merged in 1996. Fitzroy had a song written for them by poet Norm Byron after winning the 1944 premiership, but on a trip back from Brisbane in 1955, a group of players, including Bill Stephen and Ken Ross, came up with the words, set to La Marseillaise, that remain virtually intact today.

Gordon Rattray?

He was a coach as well, wasn't he? Perhaps thinking outside the square a bit KFS, so I should clarify that all three retirements were as a player.

Maybe Rattray did, but it's not the answer I had in mind. Bert Clay was the premiership ruckman in 1944, and Alan Gale was number 1 ruckman throughout the sixties. This player was the numero uno for a brief period between the two, but spent most of his time as a deputy.

He's not what I would consider a well-known name but he did play over a hundred games. When he came back from retirement in the late 50s it inspired Norm Johnstone to do the same thing, but Norm's comeback was less successful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back