• Definitely not Janus

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Definitely Janus

Votes: 23 62.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol I'll elaborate on this in a bit. This is my post to remind myself to do it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Ok Power Girl so we had a doctors appointment for a few cold/flu symptoms. The doctor prescribed some antihistamines, during so he went on big of a tangent about the old days. Antihistamines only came in a drowsy variety, and parents would abuse them to put their babies to sleep, on planes or while travelling etc, and how this would cause blood pressure problems and other issues as the child develops, and how it's good now that there's non drowsy varieties.

Anyway, so we leave the doctors, walk in a weird sorta silence back to the car. After a bit in the car, I say "is it wrong that the drowsy medicine didn't sound so bad to me?" and she says "I was thinking that the whole time, I was hoping he would ask us if we want a drowsy one". Bit of a funny moment where I was feeling like an awful person/parent, then discovered that she was thinking the same thing, on the same page.

We would not have abused them, honest. Just when really needed. Once a week or so.

Has your partner looked at her diet? Something may be reacitng with your daughter. Look at everything and try cancelling certain foods out. I'm just thinking because she loves the boob still.
My daughter was on the boob/formula and now oat milk for the best part of a year and sleeps well. She had stomach issues when she was on the boob.

I think she has too much sugar in her diet, but trying. The missus has bad Crohns disease so really struggles to absorb nutrients properly. Despite us saying this to all the midwifes and such people in the lead up, we were strongly encouraged to solely breastfeed for as long as possible. I think we have long passed the point of return to try a different method.

Do you have a set night time routine? Once she gets to sleep does she sleep through or does she wake erratically? Have you tried co-sleeping?

I was going to ask whether she was on the spectrum or not but didn't want to be rude.

That's the thing. We get in to routines, but it feels like after a week or so she see's them coming and adjusts. We have a bad night, think nothing of it, it happens, push on tomorrow, but then it turns in to two nights, three nights, four. Bang, routine lost. Back to the start. Back to abandoning the routine in favour of whatever works as we are exhausted.

She has almost always slept erratically, since birth. Can count the nights I remember sleeping through on one hand. We have co-slept since two weeks old or so, probably sooner as she had a stint co-sleeping in the maternity ward. She was a night feeder, just drank for hours and hours at night. Going back further, even in the womb we noticed she was way more active at night. Bouncing off the walls in there.

I feel like I hijacked the thread to whinge all day, but I feel a little better, even if nothing changes. Thanks everyone.

Ok Power Girl so we had a doctors appointment for a few cold/flu symptoms. The doctor prescribed some antihistamines, during so he went on big of a tangent about the old days. Antihistamines only came in a drowsy variety, and parents would abuse them to put their babies to sleep, on planes or while travelling etc, and how this would cause blood pressure problems and other issues as the child develops, and how it's good now that there's non drowsy varieties.

Anyway, so we leave the doctors, walk in a weird sorta silence back to the car. After a bit in the car, I say "is it wrong that the drowsy medicine didn't sound so bad to me?" and she says "I was thinking that the whole time, I was hoping he would ask us if we want a drowsy one". Bit of a funny moment where I was feeling like an awful person/parent, then discovered that she was thinking the same thing, on the same page.

We would not have abused them, honest. Just when really needed. Once a week or so.

I think she has too much sugar in her diet, but trying. The missus has bad Crohns disease so really struggles to absorb nutrients properly. Despite us saying this to all the midwifes and such people in the lead up, we were strongly encouraged to solely breastfeed for as long as possible. I think we have long passed the point of return to try a different method.

That's the thing. We get in to routines, but it feels like after a week or so she see's them coming and adjusts. We have a bad night, think nothing of it, it happens, push on tomorrow, but then it turns in to two nights, three nights, four. Bang, routine lost. Back to the start. Back to abandoning the routine in favour of whatever works as we are exhausted.

She has almost always slept erratically, since birth. Can count the nights I remember sleeping through on one hand. We have co-slept since two weeks old or so, probably sooner as she had a stint co-sleeping in the maternity ward. She was a night feeder, just drank for hours and hours at night. Going back further, even in the womb we noticed she was way more active at night. Bouncing off the walls in there.

I feel like I hijacked the thread to whinge all day, but I feel a little better, even if nothing changes. Thanks everyone.
Don’t feel like that. Being a parent is hard work in general, but being a parent of a child that has difficult sleeping is a form of torture. It sounds like you and your partner are on the same page, which is positive. It may be worthwhile getting a referral to a child psychologist to help, their is a slight chance that your child may have some issues with sensory processing and intervening early is important. As for breast feeding, my first experience was a nightmare and I ended up with severe post natal depression due to being made to feel like a failure as a mother by the midwives / child health nurses when we decided to formula feed after 8 weeks of hell. Thankfully the second time round breast feeding was much easier, thankfully each child is different.

Don’t sweat it. This board has saved the sanity of more then one poster (myself included) at very trying times. Vent anytime you need to.

It's not whinging. You guys need some help that it sounds like you haven't been getting.

I think a large part of the system still opts for a one size fits all approach to raising babies, I don't think anyone genuinely isn't interested in helping, but you know. We got told lots of stats about sleep habits and what not, and our girl falls way outside that. That happens.

I just wonder why we are still being encouraged to try methods that probably work for babies either inside or just a little bit outside those limits. It makes us feel crap.

Don’t feel like that. Being a parent is hard work in general, but being a parent of a child that has difficult sleeping is a form of torture. It sounds like you and your partner are on the same page, which is positive. It may be worthwhile getting a referral to a child psychologist to help, their is a slight chance that your child may have some issues with sensory processing and intervening early is important. As for breast feeding, my first experience was a nightmare and I ended up with severe post natal depression due to being made to feel like a failure as a mother by the midwives / child health nurses when we decided to formula feed after 8 weeks of hell. Thankfully the second time round breast feeding was much easier, thankfully each child is different.

It's a vicious circle. Whilst child raising can be hard at the best of times, it feels taboo to feel that for oneself, it's harder than it is for most. Than it should be. You vent to some others and you get the 'yeah, that's having kids'.

No, I don't think that's always just what it is. Go back to playing PS4 all day or still maintaining an active social life because your baby isn't too much work for your 65 year old parents to handle. Have some humility to say maybe your road is a little smoother. Sometimes that is all we need to hear.

I think a large part of the system still opts for a one size fits all approach to raising babies, I don't think anyone genuinely isn't interested in helping, but you know. We got told lots of stats about sleep habits and what not, and our girl falls way outside that. That happens.

I just wonder why we are still being encouraged to try methods that probably work for babies either inside or just a little bit outside those limits. It makes us feel crap.

Yeah, i dunno, from what you have described the sleep issues sound like a symptom rather than a cause. I think changing your approach or routine is only going to do so much without getting to the root cause. Don't just keep struggling along without finding someone that can diagnose the problem. 2 years is long enough.

Yeah, i dunno, from what you have described the sleep issues sound like a symptom rather than a cause. I think changing your approach or routine is only going to do so much without getting to the root cause. Don't just keep struggling along without finding someone that can diagnose the problem. 2 years is long enough.

That's where the pandemic and borders have hurt that, being where we are, but that opens up another can of worms of issues I have about the way our modern society treats regional centres that provided their states and country with great wealth during lean times, that were virtually depression and war proof, and still are, but soon as the lean times come around the other way, governing bodies do their best to make them unlivable and force people to urban centers via withdrawal of services.

The Broken Hill hospital was demolished in the 90s and rebuilt with a modern facility at the time, but one with only a 20 year lifespan attached to it and made to serve the worst possible case population drop predictions to under ten thousand people. 20 years later the population would still be double that and services are spread far too thin. Makes you feel like a secondary class of person.

Back on track though, we are working on it. Just can't get to our family and child mental health worker more frequently than once a month.

Last edited:

Not so. Our youngest breastfed until 2 then we moved her onto a product called Pediasure. She was none too pleased but in the end she gave in and within two weeks she'd forgotten what breasts were. Never give up trying something that can make your life easier.

Not so. Our youngest breastfed until 2 then we moved her onto a product called Pediasure. She was none too pleased but in the end she gave in and within two weeks she'd forgotten what breasts were. Never give up trying something that can make your life easier.

God I hope so.

It's a small thing but I feel the impact on us with not having my partner always be needed so heavily and me being able to help more with feeding would be huge. Even if the sleep pattern doesn't change, it will still be a big improvement.

Damn toddler just hates change though. She's eagle eyed, that's for sure. Even just changing furniture around when she's out. She'll point at it and be like 'wtf is this???'.

God I hope so.

It's a small thing but I feel the impact on us with not having my partner always be needed so heavily and me being able to help more with feeding would be huge. Even if the sleep pattern doesn't change, it will still be a big improvement.

Damn toddler just hates change though. She's eagle eyed, that's for sure. Even just changing furniture around when she's out. She'll point at it and be like 'wtf is this???'.

What's her taste in music like?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It feels like a lonely endless journey but even reaching out here for all the unwanted advice you will at least know that most of us have trodden that scary lonely path and we are here for you even if we can’t make it better.

Has 20 pages of this thread disappeared?

We start talking about the spirit world, some of us disparagingly, I may have even opened a door that was 'blown shut by wind'... coincidence? I think not.

We start talking about the spirit world, some of us disparagingly, I may have even opened a door that was 'blown shut by wind'... coincidence? I think not.

... or it could be that the Elspeth Saga brought the ire of the mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back