TV shows

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Leon Davis is getting on with things shooting birds out of trees.
I'm not sure why I laughed, but he looks nothing like him. If you watched last week, you would have seen a dead i dick shooting tin cans out of a tree, dude has talent and just wants to be left the * alone.

I think you are wrong. They were very sympathetically presented. I found it kind of humbling seeing the difficulties they faced on a daily basis. Some of the people, like Ashley's wife, were incredibly resilient and supportive in outrageous circumstances. It was criticised after episode 1 but I wonder how people regarded it after episode 3? Well done SBS.
I admit to not wanting to even watch the show based on its advance publicity.
So I didn't.
May catch up on SBS on demand if I'm really really really stuck for something to do.

Struggle street - OMFG.

Anyone else watching this.
Watching it? I lived it in Thomastown for ten yrs!!!

So as to your other thread, no to Thomo but yes to bayside suburbs.

Some interesting comments on last night's show here: http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...er-than-offended/story-fn8yvfst-1227354094127. Best reality TV I have seen.
So...just another reality show that uses clever editing to manipulate the viewers emotions.
So we started last night, by the comments section, showing a pregnant woman smoking bongs.
Outrage!
Then we moved to a person fighting to break the restraints if his circumstances.
Wonderful! Uplifting! Good on him!
So, why did the editors choose to show these incidents in that order?
Golden rule of TV. Leave the audience feeling good.
Manipulation on a commercial TV scale.

So...just another reality show that uses clever editing to manipulate the viewers emotions.
So we started last night, by the comments section, showing a pregnant woman smoking bongs.
Outrage!
Then we moved to a person fighting to break the restraints if his circumstances.

Yes, they should show it in the order they film it in because that's completely logical and their goal is not to engage the viewer at all.

Are you actually serious LOL.

Outrage!
If you didn't watch it you can't comment. It was very moving. I have no interest in reading the opinions of people relying on hearsay. The link I supplied does not do justice to the show. Unfortunately the morning after there was little else available.

I was pointed to the review and specifically the comments section by an earlier post.
Bard, how do you know what order the filming was done? Did they point it out? Was there a time mark on the video?
I doubt it. But prepared to be shocked if they offered this evidence to the viewer.
What I do find fascinating is the defence of the show by a lot of posters when it is clear they have followed normal TV protocol to engage and manipulate the viewer.
You do know you've all been manipulated in the hunt for sensationist ratings don't you?
Maybe not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was pointed to the review and specifically the comments section by an earlier post.
Bard, how do you know what order the filming was done? Did they point it out? Was there a time mark on the video?
I doubt it. But prepared to be shocked if they offered this evidence to the viewer.
What I do find fascinating is the defence of the show by a lot of posters when it is clear they have followed normal TV protocol to engage and manipulate the viewer.
You do know you've all been manipulated in the hunt for sensationist ratings don't you?
Maybe not.
i don't think my thoughts of the program and its contents have been manipulated at all. I made connections between what I saw in the show and families that I grew up around. Unfortunately, what I saw was all too familiar. Whether normal TV protocols were followed or not, families with the same dynamic and issues depicted in the show exist and regardless of why they are in that situation, it's sad.

I'm not doubting the these people exist, and in far to many numbers.
I do question the purpose of the program.
Even the participants are not happy with their portrayal. I wonder what they thought they were signing up for? Or what they were promised would be the outcome.
Maybe it's just more of the Americanisation of our nation. Everyone wants their 15 minutes.
I see SBS got just about their highest ever ratings. That's what fart ads can do for you in Australia 2015.
Sad.

I'm not doubting the these people exist, and in far to many numbers.
I do question the purpose of the program.
Even the participants are not happy with their portrayal. I wonder what they thought they were signing up for? Or what they were promised would be the outcome.
Maybe it's just more of the Americanisation of our nation. Everyone wants their 15 minutes.
I see SBS got just about their highest ever ratings. That's what fart ads can do for you in Australia 2015.
Sad.
The fart was removed from the show.

And the ad.
But the publicity had been generated, which was the point of using it in the ad to start with.
Anyhooooooo.......this thread started as a look at our glorious 1990
Premiership being on the 90's show currently on 9.
How it got so far off track I'm not sure.
Let's just say we will all agree to disagree on the SBS show and close this one down.
Actually I don't think I ever really knew the subject of this thread. I figured it must be devoted to TV shows we are currently watching. I wondered why it wasn't in Magpies Nest rather than in the football forum! I still reckon you should watch the show on iview or whatever its called online.

SBS on demand.
I don't think I need to see it. And yes I've made an opinion based on the publicity surrounding it.
Same as 99% of people made the decision to watch it based on the publicity.
Seriously, is there anyone who can put their hand up and say they even knew it existed before "fartgate"?
It generated serious media and social media publicity.

As I stated before, this thread was created as an immediate heads up about our glorious 1990 Premiership being broadcast to the masses one more time.
I only saw fartgate after watching the first episode. No matter what you believe from the promotion the final 2 episodes packed a powerful message. Please credit me with having more intelligence than to watch a show because of a fart.

I only saw fartgate after watching the first episode. No matter what you believe from the promotion the final 2 episodes packed a powerful message. Please credit me with having more intelligence than to watch a show because of a fart.
I'm not denigrating you.
While you may not have seen fartgate, how did you come across the show?
This is SBS after all. Let's face it, not many people would know its weekly schedule.
While fartgate may not have been your direct path into the show, and I'm sure for most it wasn't, the resulting publicity certainly focused both free media and social media on the program and its premise.
You may be one if the few who picked up in this show from watching SBS daily.
Not that there's anything wrong with that!

I'm not denigrating you.
While you may not have seen fartgate, how did you come across the show?
This is SBS after all. Let's face it, not many people would know its weekly schedule.
While fartgate may not have been your direct path into the show, and I'm sure for most it wasn't, the resulting publicity certainly focused both free media and social media on the program and its premise.
You may be one if the few who picked up in this show from watching SBS daily.
Not that there's anything wrong with that!
I like SBS. I watch their 6.30pm news cos I want to know about world issues rather than local stuff. I didn't know there was a fart in the show till after episode 1. Didn't approve of that in the promo and was glad that SBS removed it from the episode. And we have been kicked out of the thread for diverting it from the 1990 win. Never mind. I saw it at the time. Is there a better fight in AFL footy than the brawl at quarter time?!

Just to make it absolutely clear TheGreatGrundy, if I did anything to denigrate you or put you down in any way I would like to publicly apologise.
Was never my intention.
Good to see your an SBS aficionado, there isn't many of you. But if the network is to survive under this Government then there needs to be more of you.
Because Struggle Street is SBS's future if there isn't.

Just to make it absolutely clear TheGreatGrundy, if I did anything to denigrate you or put you down in any way I would like to publicly apologise.
Was never my intention.
Good to see your an SBS aficionado, there isn't many of you. But if the network is to survive under this Government then there needs to be more of you.
Because Struggle Street is SBS's future if there isn't.
No need for an apology. There was nothing to which I could take offence. It was no more than a spirited discussion about a TV show which I still reckon you should watch. The promo probably did the program an injustice, particularly the fart.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back