U18 Champs U18 Champs Round 2 - South Australia v Vic Metro (June 11, 0945am)

Remove this Banner Ad

VM system running in waves, very much a polished and well oiled machine.

Ashcroft a massive quarter, was everywhere.

Smillie a huge man, bit of Tom Green about the way he goes about it. Powerful.

Draper trying his **** off for SA. Only mid at the level

Luca Slade cracking in as well, but they are really lacking support in the midfield.

I was surprised Windsor did not feature in bf phantom draft.
displays elite speed and running patterns.
strong kick and understands wing role.

If you want a good gut running wingman Ala Ed Langdon , then Tarkyn O’Leary might be a reasonable option with mid to late selection

Logan Morris playing across half back for VM which is a bit interesting.

So far a lot of the under agers are having an impact.
Under agers dominated. I’m thinking recruiters may have wanted to see Morris down back, he was ok but looked a little lost at times. The backman for metro were hardly put under any pressure.

VM system running in waves, very much a polished and well oiled machine.

Ashcroft a massive quarter, was everywhere.

Smillie a huge man, bit of Tom Green about the way he goes about it. Powerful.

Draper trying his **** off for SA. Only mid at the level
Really don’t understand why metro play so many bottom agers, yes, they are guns but surely there are top agers that deserve an opportunity in their draft year. Guess what? The bottom agers are predominately Sandy and Oakleigh lads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really don’t understand why metro play so many bottom agers, yes, they are guns but surely there are top agers that deserve an opportunity in their draft year. Guess what? The bottom agers are predominately Sandy and Oakleigh lads.
They are playing because they are better than the top age players and are more likely to be drafted. I understand giving this year talent more exposure but they shouldn’t get token selection either, bottom agers getting to show their wares is good for their development aswell it’s happened for years at the champs with many players like Harley Reid last year announcing themselves ahead of time.

They are playing because they are better than the top age players and are more likely to be drafted. I understand giving this year talent more exposure but they shouldn’t get token selection either, bottom agers getting to show their wares is good for their development aswell it’s happened for years at the champs with many players like Harley Reid last year announcing themselves ahead of time.
How many bottom agers were in the Vic Metro team last year?

Similarly, how many bottom agers were in the Vic Country team last year.

I'm starting the revise my understanding of the depth of this years draft class. Especially with the number on likely academy and father son selections.

Finally, where do project Smillie playing at AFL level?

Well that doesn’t say much about our so called talent league.

Agree
you want the best playing against the best
no point playing mediocre top agers
trading future selections also means you need to see bottom age talent against the best.

I'm starting the revise my understanding of the depth of this years draft class. Especially with the number on likely academy and father son selections.

Mate I can’t be ****ed going back over all those teams to get an exact number 😂 Reckon he will be a mid who rotates forward but can easily play down back aswell

Mate I can’t be ****ed going back over all those teams to get an exact number 😂 Reckon he will be a mid who rotates forward but can easily play down back aswell
That's fair enough. Off the top of my head, I only remember Watson and Reid playing in the Vic teams as bottom agers.

I understand what you are saying, but I think the Vic Metro coaches/selectors have a responsbility to expose this years draftable players, rather than worry solely about results. Surely the number of under age players playing needs to be regulated? They will get their opportunity next year as the majority of this years group had to wait for last year.

Recruiters in club land would have seen the quality under age players go around, there are no mysteries anymore. Club recruiters need to see the players they could be selecting that year against the best same aged players. Everyone knows some draft years a stronger in different areas than others, but to play so many under aged players defeats why the championships continue IMHO.

Last edited:
time for SA to play Tyler Welsh, Phoenix Hargrave, Benny Barrett and Lucas Camporeale, the depth of talent is not there for this years draft.

the 4 best mids were all for next year in this game, Sid Draper, Jagga Smith, Josh Smillie and Levi Ashcroft...... and thats without Tom Gross

last year bottom agers were (there may be more?)

VM - Caddy, Watson, Philactides, Logan Morris
VC - Duursma, H.Reid, A.Reid
SA - Tattoli, Moir, Delean, Holt
WA - Hardeman, Tholstrup, Edwards
Allies - McKercher, Cleary, Walters, E.Read, Rogers, Sanders

every year underagers dominate.........., talent is like a pyramid, even 15 year olds at the top of the pyramid are better than 18 year olds at the bottom of their draft years pyramid.......

I understand what you are saying, but I think the Vic Metro coaches/selectors have a responsbility to expose this years draftable players, rather than worry solely about results. Surely the number of under age players playing needs to be regulated? They will get their opportunity next year as the majority of this years group had to wait for last year.

Recruiters in club land would have seen the quality under age players go around, there are no mysteries anymore. Club recruiters need to see the players they could be selecting that year against the best same aged players. Everyone knows some draft years a stronger in different areas than others, but to play so many under aged players defeats why the championships continue IMHO.
To think they are not all exposed is a bit wrong, do you think selectors have not seen them play in the Coates league? They are all exposed immensely these days and are watched week in week out. The champs are for the best under 18 players. It’s not the 17 year old championships.
It happens around the world and you just don’t realise it, wildcard playoffs in the tennis grand slams, golf majors etc. If the younger kids are killing it at their age groups and are better than some kids older than them then they should get the chance to pit themselves against the above age group to see how they rank, and recruiters love that and encourage that, it helps them see what’s coming, and help them strategise their draft/future draft plans etc.
It would be a very sterile option to only allow players to play against their own age group as you will never know if certain players can step up, you may be good against your own crop and rated highly, but if that crop is no good your rating is false, whereas if your crop is no good but the crop above you is rated better and you can step up against them and play well you know your worth and so do the recruiters.
Also, the metro/country selectors are kind of influenced slightly by club recruitment teams who push to see certain players.
All that being said, if someone is going well enough or is talented enough to get a game, they will be picked.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back