Unequal stadium deals and the impact of massive spending increases by the Rich Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

True and Sydney in their early days. While Collingwood has never been cheats, Eddie is pretty much foaming at the mouth in relation to this entire issue. May have a rush of blood to his head.

Don't be surprised that in any financial cap for off field expenditure, that Sydney will be given a higher allowance than all other clubs. This isn't cheating, but a sanctioned advantage by the AFL.

Don't be surprised that in any financial cap for off field expenditure, that Sydney will be given a higher allowance than all other clubs. This isn't cheating, but a sanctioned advantage by the AFL.

That's how they deal with Sydneys massive salary cap cheating. Just make it legal.

Did the same for Carltank. Since they would not stop cheating, they allowed them to pay Judd legally outside the salary cap.

But those game boys. We are such bad arse cheats. :oops:

...and now the political maneuvering:

Etihad clubs forget that stadium needs to make a profit
GREG DENHAM
THE AUSTRALIAN
FEBRUARY 15, 2014 12:00AM

IS the barrage of criticism from the AFL clubs that base themselves at Etihad Stadium the greatest myth in the AFL?
The much-maligned Melbourne Docklands venue has been slammed by its tenant clubs, namely the Western Bulldogs, St Kilda and North Melbourne, for being too greedy...

This is a fallacy. He is deliberately misinterpreting the situation for his own purposes.
The clubs don't care about the amount of profit the leaseholders are making - the clubs are simply getting less than the other clubs. This can be measured on a per capita basis for crowds or by more esoteric metrics. The clubs just want a level playing field. The club's bottom line is what they are highlighting, not the leaseholders bottom line.

Most clubs are reasonable enough to accept that the stadium needs to make a profit, or else there will be no stadium to play in.

How about writing about the issues that the clubs are discussing, instead of your politically motivated stance, Greg!

...and now the political maneuvering:

Etihad clubs forget that stadium needs to make a profit
GREG DENHAM
THE AUSTRALIAN
FEBRUARY 15, 2014 12:00AM

IS the barrage of criticism from the AFL clubs that base themselves at Etihad Stadium the greatest myth in the AFL?
The much-maligned Melbourne Docklands venue has been slammed by its tenant clubs, namely the Western Bulldogs, St Kilda and North Melbourne, for being too greedy...

This is a fallacy. He is deliberately misinterpreting the situation for his own purposes.
The clubs don't care about the amount of profit the leaseholders are making - the clubs are simply getting less than the other clubs. This can be measured on a per capita basis for crowds or by more esoteric metrics. The clubs just want a level playing field. The club's bottom line is what they are highlighting, not the leaseholders bottom line.

Most clubs are reasonable enough to accept that the stadium needs to make a profit, or else there will be no stadium to play in.

How about writing about the issues that the clubs are discussing, instead of your politically motivated stance, Greg!

I'd like to see some transparency about what other organisations charge.
ie touring bands , Soccer, Rugby.
I think we'd find that it is mainly the AFL clubs being screwed.

I think you'd find that a normal football game at Etihad would earn Stadium Management more from "the catering" than the clubs would get from ticket sales.

The fact is that gate takings is a poor way to measure how much a club should be earning in a national contest.
For starters there are plenty of die hard supporters on this forum that don't get to many games. ( ie living interstate or overseas ). That's not to say that they don't contribute to the overall success and popularity of the AFL.

Here's my question: show me one dollar the AFL gets, outside of people watching the 18 teams kick a ball. Now explain to me why they treat giving money to those 18 teams like it's a flipping charity. Without St Kilda (and the other 17 clubs), they'd not make a cent. It's not THEIR money - it's money made off of the Saints playing.

Don't strut around like you're some kind of magnanimous sugar-daddy with empty pockets, Vlad. It makes you look like a pimp keeping his hookers under his thumb. It's therefore demeaning to the clubs and to yourself.

SHOW US THE MONEY.

So what do we all want? For us to have a better deal at Etihad OR for us to play home games at the G.

So what do we all want? For us to have a better deal at Etihad OR for us to play home games at the G.
Definitely option A. We have spent a fortune for Etihad. When we are so close to the end (potentially, with the AFL being able to just buy out the stadium), I don't want to throw it away so Essendon, North, etc can reap the financial benefits of our money. Otherwise, it's like paying off most of your home, and with the last few repayments to go, renegging on your mortgage and having it taken from you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For us to play 4 - 5 (maybe 6 - 7) home games a year in Frankston or surrounds in our own 25-35k seat stadium. With the remainder at the MCG. The AFL to do this for us as compensation for us paying off Etihad for them.

We should be following the Gellong model, creating strong ties with the local community and the South Gippsland & Mornington Peninsula country areas.

On a purely selfish viewpoint I want Etihad as well. Co's I live about 25min away :thumbsu:
Plus when the team is up and about the atmosphere inside is electric. The roar from the crowd when Troy Schwarze kicked that last minute goal on the run to put us in front of the all powerfull Lions in 2004 was amazing. The roof not only keeps weather out but its great for keeping the sound in:)

For us to play 4 - 5 (maybe 6 - 7) home games a year in Frankston or surrounds in our own 25-35k seat stadium. With the remainder at the MCG. The AFL to do this for us as compensation for us paying off Etihad for them.

We should be following the Gellong model, creating strong ties with the local community and the South Gippsland & Mornington Peninsula country areas.
The Cararra Stadium cost $144 million. Who would pay to have a similar stadium at Frankston, for use 4-5 times a year?

The Cararra Stadium cost $144 million. Who would pay to have a similar stadium at Frankston, for use 4-5 times a year?
Exactly.
Linton street or Seaford will never be rebuilt or developed to an AFL standard and I doubt the AFL will ever build another stadium in Vic.
Its the MCG or Etihad for the Saints future.

Why not put $144m into moorabbin??? What was the capacity there? Realistically we would only need around 35-40k, play 1 or 2 home games at etihad or a blockbuster (if we are top vs collingwood) at the G. But realistically this will never ever happen, UNLESS, I court Gina Reinhardt and take half.....

Why not put $144m into moorabbin??? What was the capacity there? Realistically we would only need around 35-40k, play 1 or 2 home games at etihad or a blockbuster (if we are top vs collingwood) at the G. But realistically this will never ever happen, UNLESS, I court Gina Reinhardt and take half.....

It would pay for itself in just 30 years or so.

$144m wouldn't solve the inevitable congestion and traffic issues

$144m wouldn't solve the inevitable congestion and traffic issues

Haha even the G has congestion and traffic issues.
Mind you the $144K ( carerra ) is only 24000 people. Go for 50 and its a lot more.

Best place to build a stadium for Traffic would have to be Seaford. Get them to remodel the Eastlink ramps.

If we ever got our own stadium there is no way it would be anything more than 20k seating to start with. I think it would be in Frankston and the Local/State/Federal gov would be pork barreling paying for the majority of it.

Play most of our home games v interstate teams there and have "BATTLE OF THE BAY" special game against Geelong and alternate that between our ground and Simonds every year.

Of course none of this will happen if the AFL buy Etihad and the deal we get from that is as good as we hope it will be.

I heard today Dunstall said that GC have a stadium attendance break even number of 7000.
Does anyone know what our break even attendance number is and I would be really interested to see
the figures from other clubs, anyone know where i can find this info?
It is over 30k i think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back