Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

This surely has to be a popular opinion but people at my local club have made it sound like an unpopular opinion.

When a bowler bowls a wide or a no ball, there are people in my club who'll say something like

"it's alright mate, you now get another ball at him now"

Implying that bowling and wide or no ball is okay as it now gives you an extra delivery to get him out.

This is wrong as you still have the same number of balls to bowl (6 good balls) as the wide ball is a wasted delivery.

This surely has to be a popular opinion but people at my local club have made it sound like an unpopular opinion.

When a bowler bowls a wide or a no ball, there are people in my club who'll say something like

Implying that bowling and wide or no ball is okay as it now gives you an extra delivery to get him out.

This is wrong as you still have the same number of balls to bowl (6 good balls) as the wide ball is a wasted delivery.
It's called positive reinforcement, rather than focus on the negative, you turn it into a positive.

It's called positive reinforcement, rather than focus on the negative, you turn it into a positive.
I get that. These however are guys who play 1sts or 2nds cricket.

Surely they can't be that stupid as to believe that nonsense.

Maybe I just think too logically:)

I tend to use it in this situation: when the bowler is bowling to a tail ender, and we have plenty of runs to play with. Bowler bowls one wide of off stump, umpire deliberates before calling it a wide. If he hadn't called it a wide, it would be a wasted delivery, but as it is, you can bowl it again.

I get that. These however are guys who play 1sts or 2nds cricket.

Surely they can't be that stupid as to believe that nonsense.

Maybe I just think too logically:)
Glass half empty - glass half full - it's that simple. Cricket is such a mental game if you look on the empty side the game will defeat you. If a kid gets down on himself about bowling the wide or no ball he stops focussing on the next one. I play a lot with kids nowadays, I'll say it regularly. Got at least two wickets off the seventh ball last weekend.

Glass half empty - glass half full - it's that simple. Cricket is such a mental game if you look on the empty side the game will defeat you. If a kid gets down on himself about bowling the wide or no ball he stops focussing on the next one. I play a lot with kids nowadays, I'll say it regularly. Got at least two wickets off the seventh ball last weekend.
Tbf the youngest in our team is 18 and the oldest 26. Just don't see how that nonsense works.

Fwiw I am a bowler and do understand positive reinforcement but when I bowl (a rare extra) I don't stand there and think "you beauty an extra ball at him!"

Tbf the youngest in our team is 18 and the oldest 26. Just don't see how that nonsense works.

Fwiw I am a bowler and do understand positive reinforcement but when I bowl (a rare extra) I don't stand there and think "you beauty an extra ball at him!"

So? If the team digs into the player for bowling an extra it is going to have a negative effect on the team.

So? If the team digs into the player for bowling an extra it is going to have a negative effect on the team.
I would say no. Quite often there are comments like "c'mon you know where to bowl it" or "c'mon no legside rubbish, one side of the wicket" can't recall too many instances where that has had an adverse effect on the bowler. Usually just makes him concentrate harder on getting it right the next time.

Good call. Playing cricket there's nothing more frustrating then the opening bowlers wasting the new ball and adding to the opposition's total early on when the batters aren't set, then shrugging it off as not that big of a deal or that they are 'warming in to their spell'. Should be at the batsman from ball one.

Think you're taking it a bit literally.

Just another light hearted way of saying "bowl it at the stumps" without being negative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also seem to remember Lee being the recipient of a lot more drop catches than our other bowlers but that may have just been selective memory. Probably not too far off the mark - tends to happen for the express bowlers.

Dizzy is one of the most unluckiest bowlers I've seen play, i don't ever remember watching a bowler nearly get a wicket so many times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back