Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

As for the Chili Peppers, they're kind of s**t too. I think they're way, way more interesting as people than they are as musicians. That HBO show Kiedis was going to make sounded pretty good and I'd probably enjoy it, but musically they just suck. I don't really like their fans either.
Flea and Frusciante are both very good musicians. Chad Smith is a good drummer that can lock into a groove, but I wouldn't say he's a very good musician. As a drummer pretty good though. Kiedis is just an untalented idiot that brings the whole group down.

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers are like The Hangover trilogy.

Proof that people are stupid enough to pay for the exact same thing over and over and over.

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers are like The Hangover trilogy.

Proof that people are stupid enough to pay for the exact same thing over and over and over.
I'm not a huge RHCP fan, but to say it's the exact same thing over and over is a very strange thing to say.

Out of interest what are some of your favourite bands?

Right now I guess an unpopular opinion is that vocals are overused or ruining songs and that personally the best pieces of music are vocal free.

My whole life I have been a vocal person when it comes to music. I love lyrics, poetry, literature...whatever. But recently I've been listening to a lot of instrumental music like post rock, jazz, anything. And I'm starting to feel, although I don't want to, that the vocals coming in are just self indulgent distractions to the song.

I'm not a huge RHCP fan, but to say it's the exact same thing over and over is a very strange thing to say.

Out of interest what are some of your favourite bands?

RHCP have been very rinse and repeat to my ears. Mothers Milk got my ears interested, BSSM was a better produced version of that and everything after that just blends into the same thing for me.

My favourite bands are irrelevant to this discussion but happy to discuss in another thread.

From my chart-experience of them, it seems RHCP have become way more invested in solidifying themselves as a pop band. It's changed a fair bit.

An opinion: Vampire Weekend will be the best band of the 2010s in the way Radiohead owned that Bends-to-Thief period. People'll end up looking at MVOTC as saying something pretty universal. How it wasn't fawned over a lot more is probably because they're a pretty hatable band on face value. But they'll end up becoming a pretty meaningful band, whatever the LPIV sounds like.

I think RHCP are very talented musicians individually and enjoyed Flea playing with The Mars Volta. But I don't enjoy them as a band.

As for Vampire Weekend, I am prepared to give them another listen but I always thought they were extremely meaningless. But I have only listened to the debut album.

I think RHCP are very talented musicians individually and enjoyed Flea playing with The Mars Volta. But I don't enjoy them as a band.

As for Vampire Weekend, I am prepared to give them another listen but I always thought they were extremely meaningless. But I have only listened to the debut album.

Yeh, they are all pretty decent individually (aside from Kiedis) but they just write boring tunes. Californication was probably their best album because there was actually a pretty big focus on writing interesting, cohesive and lyrically prominent songs.

Vampire Weekend are good but don't have a huge ceiling - They're the Jared McVeigh of Music. Their songs are meaningful though; or they're meaningful to certain demographics. I find myself finding little nuances that I like and can relate to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh, they are all pretty decent individually (aside from Kiedis) but they just write boring tunes. Californication was probably their best album because there was actually a pretty big focus on writing interesting, cohesive and lyrically prominent songs.

Vampire Weekend are good but don't have a huge ceiling - They're the Jared McVeigh of Music. Their songs are meaningful though; or they're meaningful to certain demographics. I find myself finding little nuances that I like and can relate to.
Good points made.

I think the way they managed to go in a way more orchestral or traditional way, and make songs like Everlasting Arms and Obvious Bicycle and of course Hannah Hunt just showed to me they are capable of stepping it up and doing new things. I think Rostam is a bit overrated but he's still a smart musician, and Ezra's a little too well read in all these spectrums and it can make interesting sounds and lyrics. That's probably their best attribute.

I think the first album resonates a lot, it's all pretty wordy and songs like The Kids... are a bit murky in their meaning, but they're always about relatable things. Contra I like and appreciate but it's not personal to me, really. This last one though is a really cool look at thinking about mortality and time and worthlessness.

From my chart-experience of them, it seems RHCP have become way more invested in solidifying themselves as a pop band. It's changed a fair bit.

THeir early stuff was great. The stuff they've released over the last 15 years is modern dad rock.

Yeah Robyn is certainly a curious one, great post. I remember when she broke through back in the mid-late 90s she looked like the full package, then she had those recent albums that went under the radar internationally. Certainly a star in some parts of the world, but never really became that international star she deserved to be.

Janelle Monae should also be dominating the charts, but everyone in the know seems to think that I guess, and has for years.

I'm interested in where they go next. S/T sounds entirely different to MVOTC and they hinted at the change throughout Contra. I know Ezra has said they considered the three records to be a sort of trilogy, so it will be fun to see what their next record produces. I've got total faith in them.

Unpopular opinion: The Beach Boys best record (Pet Sounds) is better than anything The Beatles put out, but the Beatles were more consistent and are consequently more revered.

The way that guys like Trent Reznor and Josh Homme verbally abuse members of their audience who upset them isn't tough or badass, it just makes them look like downright dickheads.
Ughh it makes me cringe, it's such a prick thing to do. They're going to get the audience wooing for them and booing some dick in the crowd. It's just an ego boost and some schoolyard trip in ego. I hate it too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back