Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If used correctly the europa league could be very beneficial for us come the end of the season. Which when I say used correctly I mean show it the respect it deserves eg. none and use it to blood youngsters and give game time to our back up players so when asked to fill in for PL games they're not as rusty.

I for one dont understand this superiority complex we have the Europa League.

It's a genuine chance at a trophy. A European trophy. We're not chance of the champions league and even if we scrape thought the group, there's only 2 more games anyway.

It's a trophy, and a very attainable one at that. It's that same arrogance and sense of entitlement Arsenal fans had when we drew Monaco last season.

I know I'm in the minority, but we should have the ambition to gun for every trophy on offer.

It's a genuine chance at a trophy. A European trophy. We're not chance of the champions league and even if we scrape thought the group, there's only 2 more games anyway.

It's a trophy, and a very attainable one at that. It's that same arrogance and sense of entitlement Arsenal fans had when we drew Monaco last season.

I know I'm in the minority, but we should have the ambition to gun for every trophy on offer.
It is a Premier League wide arrogance.

Hard to take it seriously when the FA doesn't help english sides that compete in it (fixture scheduling). Also is hard to respect a competition with so many teams and rounds.

It is a Premier League wide arrogance.
While you're correct, I actually agree with Glenferry here.

Trophies are trophies. They make fans cheer, managers smile and players want to play for your club.

While I'd still prefer to try make it thru to the UCL knock out rounds on principle, if we get sent to Europa, we should have a red hot crack at winning it.

I think this also its not that i disrespect the trophy I just don't think we have the squad to compete on 2 fronts...

It's because when you want to be part of the big teams you want to be seen as having their ambitions - Real Madrid and Bayern wouldn't be seen dead in the Europa Legaue.

People don't want to accept that we are among the 2nd rung of European teams.

If you're in the Europa League, the chances of winning the PL are severely limited.

Thursday nights / Sunday afternoons = no thanks

It's because when you want to be part of the big teams you want to be seen as having their ambitions - Real Madrid and Bayern wouldn't be seen dead in the Europa Legaue.

If we count top rung as those that can win the UCL, there are 4-5 top rung teams at most. I don't think any of us consider us amongst those teams. Both Bayern and RM would not be seen in the Europa League. We're not at their level. But they're bad examples too. Both dominate in leagues that have 1-3 power clubs, and every one else.

Are we top dozen? Probably. Top 15? Definately. Are we top rung? Probably not. Are we heading that way? Yes. Guys like Alexis don't play for teams that aren't top rung or close to it.

And referring to him, gunning to win everything we can keeps players like that happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we count top rung as those that can win the UCL, there are 4-5 top rung teams at most. I don't think any of us consider us amongst those teams. Both Bayern and RM would not be seen in the Europa League. We're not at their level. But they're bad examples too. Both dominate in leagues that have 1-3 power clubs, and every one else.

Are we top dozen? Probably. Top 15? Definately. Are we top rung? Probably not. Are we heading that way? Yes. Guys like Alexis don't play for teams that aren't top rung or close to it.

And referring to him, gunning to win everything we can keeps players like that happy.

We'd probably rank about the no 10 mark in Europe IMO

I think this also its not that i disrespect the trophy I just don't think we have the squad to compete on 2 fronts...

We really should be competing on a number of fronts. It shouldn't just be one or the other.

Arsenal have the resources available to generate a squad capable of challenging for the title as well as a European campaign as well as a Cup.

And this is the point that I believe some Arsenal fans don't want to admit.

The Europa League is probably our current level in Europe. Just because we qualify for the champions league every season, doesn't mean we're a genuine chance to win it. Small fish in a big pond. It's the opposite in the Europa League.

The truth hurts sometimes.

If you're in the Europa League, the chances of winning the PL are severely limited.

Thursday nights / Sunday afternoons = no thanks

Hodgey already covered that, but I find this whole Thursday night football thing to be overblown. No difference from playing on a Wednesday night in Europe then back to England for a Saturday league game.

Ahh Wojiech. That was unique. I do wonder if he'll ever play for Arsenal again.

Same with Sanogo. Both should be sold next summer IMO.

We really should be competing on a number of fronts. It shouldn't just be one or the other.

Arsenal have the resources available to generate a squad capable of challenging for the title as well as a European campaign as well as a Cup.

And this is the point that I believe some Arsenal fans don't want to admit.

The Europa League is probably our current level in Europe. Just because we qualify for the champions league every season, doesn't mean we're a genuine chance to win it. Small fish in a big pond. It's the opposite in the Europa League.

The truth hurts sometimes.

Hodgey already covered that, but I find this whole Thursday night football thing to be overblown. No difference from playing on a Wednesday night in Europe then back to England for a Saturday league game.

I agree with everything you said.

Woj is actually a decent keeper can just be arrogant and inconsistent, Sanogo was just banter signing.

His decline was pretty rapid. Had a good season a few years ago, joint golden glove winner I recall.

Just far too cavalier and arrogant, not having any real competition for his spot fueled his arrogance further.

Coq will be at least 12 weeks, according to Wenger. A slight increase from his one month prognosis yesterday.

Lots of new signings to come in the coming months. Ramsey is back, Ox next. Walcott, Welbeck, Coq, Wilshere, Rosicky, Arteta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back