Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Leaving for America in 2 weeks. Been a couple times before, but this will be the first time by myself (22, M).

Pretty simple format, I'm in L.A. for a week staying at USA Hostels. Might try and get to a Lakers/Clippers game. Maybe a baseball game. A day at Santa Monica, love that place. Would like the hike up to the Hollywood sign. I wouldn't mind going back to Disneyland either, but as far as I can tell it's going to be difficult to get all the way out to Anaheim?
Then doing the 4-week Grand Southern Contiki tour.
Followed by a week in New York, and 4 nights in Boston before flying out for Europe.

Any tips, must do's, big or small, would love to hear it.

Go to Piano Bar on Selma and Wilcox, around the corner from the Hostel. Hottest bartender in the world.

Eat as much BBQ as you can, particulary in Dallas, Memphis and NC. And get a Dat Dog in New Orleans

Haha just chucked it into google maps, genuinely around the corner. Daresay that'll be visited. I'm sure you'll be wanting me to ask if she remembers Richo is God no doubt..

Yeah I figure Texas and down South is just going to be BBQ after BBQ food.

When in NY make sure you try the burgers at Shake shack, best burgers anywhere
Miami is ok, the beaches are cool, but it is over rated
Harry Potter world at Universal studios is pretty cool and I'm not a Harry Potter fan at all. The HP ride which is like a 4d coaster type thing is the best ride I have ever been on (and I've been to a lot of theme parks). Plus get a double pass to both parks at universal studios so you can go to Simpsons world
Which one?
There's the Hogwarts/Hogsmead in Islands of Adventure and Diagon Alley in Universal Studios.

There's a 3 (and/or 4D) ride in both (one in Hogwarts, one in Gringotts) - I thought the Hogwarts one was really good, but thought the Gringotts one was shite.

The dual carriageway dragon challenge rollar coaster outside Hogwarts was really good!

theres plenty of tour buses that go from la/hollywood to anaheim. can get there via public transport as well but thats probably a bit too inconvenient

but go to magic mountain instead

Do Contiki no longer depart from Anaheim for the GS?

Nah would've been ideal if they did, but leaves from Downtown L.A. and goes straight to Vegas the first night.

theres plenty of tour buses that go from la/hollywood to anaheim. can get there via public transport as well but thats probably a bit too inconvenient

but go to magic mountain instead

Yeah I've looked it up and they offer a shuttle to Disneyland that takes about 60-90mins they say.

They do also offer a shuttle to Magic Mountain - I was leaning more towards DL, what makes you say MM?

Nah would've been ideal if they did, but leaves from Downtown L.A. and goes straight to Vegas the first night.

Yeah I've looked it up and they offer a shuttle to Disneyland that takes about 60-90mins they say.

They do also offer a shuttle to Magic Mountain - I was leaning more towards DL, what makes you say MM?

Get the earliest bus you can. The drive from Hollywood to Anaheim is very frustrating. Takes forever and time of day doesn't really matter.

When I did the GS in '03 and the Wild Western in '05 they departed from hotels in Anaheim, so made it easy to check out Disneyland. I wonder when they shifted to Downtown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its better:p

It really depends what you want. Magic Mountain is the best rollercoaster park in the area by a long way. Disneyland is Disneyland.

Some great tips here, thanks all.

Heading off in Dec to Hawaii and the West Coast. Have done a bit of reading on here, some great stuff on SF, Vegas and LA so was just seeing if anyone had some other tips on other places on our list.
Looking like going to
Vancouver
Portland
Seattle
SLC
Aspen
As well as a couple of NP's, Grand Canyon almost locked in, and would love to get to Yosemite, possibly Death Valley - Banff has also popped up as a possibility so if anyone has any recommendations on that/Calgary
Also an extra q on LA, we're looking at spending ~4 nights there. Santa Monica has come up a lot, however is it a good place to stay and base ourselves out of if we want to see what LA has to offer (Universal, Hollywood, NBA, NHL)
Also thinking of using the Amtrak trains to get from place to place, anyone have experiences with this?

Some great tips here, thanks all.

Heading off in Dec to Hawaii and the West Coast. Have done a bit of reading on here, some great stuff on SF, Vegas and LA so was just seeing if anyone had some other tips on other places on our list.
Looking like going to
Vancouver
Portland
Seattle
SLC
Aspen
As well as a couple of NP's, Grand Canyon almost locked in, and would love to get to Yosemite, possibly Death Valley - Banff has also popped up as a possibility so if anyone has any recommendations on that/Calgary
Also an extra q on LA, we're looking at spending ~4 nights there. Santa Monica has come up a lot, however is it a good place to stay and base ourselves out of if we want to see what LA has to offer (Universal, Hollywood, NBA, NHL)
Also thinking of using the Amtrak trains to get from place to place, anyone have experiences with this?

Vancouver - go up to Grouse Mountain and Capilano Suspension Bridge. It is on the North side of the Harbour. Try and get up to Whistler which is about 2 hours north of Vancouver. It is a ski resort where they had the skiing events in the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Banff - scenery is unreal. Do the gondola up Sulphur Mountain.

Calgary - we were only there one night so I can't really comment on the city.

I would recommend driving from Banff to Lake Louise and then onto the Athabasca Glacier. Well worth the drive.

We are looking at staying in Santa Monica in November this year. The accommodation is heaps expensive. I guess it depends on what type of accommodation you are looking for.

You will need a car if you are staying in Santa Monica as it could take an hour to get into LA depending on the traffic.

We are looking at staying in Santa Monica in November this year. The accommodation is heaps expensive. I guess it depends on what type of accommodation you are looking for.

You will need a car if you are staying in Santa Monica as it could take an hour to get into LA depending on the traffic.

Airbnb it. There are many good places around the area taking in Marina Del Rey.

Loved the drive on highway #1 through to Malibu and nearby valleys. Zuma beach is super cool with some great restaurants on, or nearby the beaches.

If I have my 90 day esta visa but intend to stay longer (I know the visa is current for 24 months) can I stay 90 days then leave to a neighbouring country weather it be Mexico, Canada, the Bahamas or Cuba the. Return to the states and the 90 days reset?

Some awesome awesome photo's in here guys!! Going in October finally after years of putting it off because of work and other things but finally booked and looking at possibly doing a snow season in Canada afterwards.

NCAA football tickets? Stub hub or somewhere else for people who have been?

Some awesome awesome photo's in here guys!! Going in October finally after years of putting it off because of work and other things but finally booked and looking at possibly doing a snow season in Canada afterwards.

NCAA football tickets? Stub hub or somewhere else for people who have been?
Contact the school directly.
I got front row tickets to Boise State-Ole miss and Boise State-Connecticut by getting in contact really early. Then I got a free ticket through a local I ws staying with in Boise for Boise State- Louisiana-Lafayette.

Stubhubbed for Atlanta-New Orleans though. Works both ways.

I just find, there's less demand for college, and you can get it at retail price and get good seats straight from the schools involved.
NFL? Just do the best you can do, stubhub is probs the way for that.

Contact the school directly.
I got front row tickets to Boise State-Ole miss and Boise State-Connecticut by getting in contact really early. Then I got a free ticket through a local I ws staying with in Boise for Boise State- Louisiana-Lafayette.

Stubhubbed for Atlanta-New Orleans though. Works both ways.

Thanks mate! I'll definitely try that

Great read

San Francisco is a must visit for anyone heading over
New York very impressive , heaps to do . If you don't like crowds give it a miss. Had 5 days there felt it was plenty but it also was during the big freeze last year , warmest day we had was -3. So impacted the trip a little
Los Angeles - ok but wouldn't rush back
Las Vegas - 2 days was enough for me not really into gaming but still a worthwhile experience
Washington - was a surprise , really enjoyed it . Highly recommend for a few days
Boston - Loved it

Hopefully be doing a car trip across the southern states in the next 18 months from San Diego to Miami . Cant Wait

Remove this Banner Ad

Back