Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

We haven't got the Visa yet. My mate was looking into that today.

Probably hire a car. Like I said its rough plans ATM. We thought about buying. But that would be hard yeah?
If you PM me I can give you a heads-up on the visa (you will need a B1/B2), and buying a car as an option to renting. You can also see my earlier posts on this US sub-forum re a B1/B2 visa. If you plan to be in the US starting April you will need to get cracking on a B1/B2visa asap. O/wise you will be stuck with the usual 3 month tourist visa and ESTA registration.

If you PM me I can give you a heads-up on the visa (you will need a B1/B2), and buying a car as an option to renting. You can also see my earlier posts on this US sub-forum re a B1/B2 visa. If you plan to be in the US starting April you will need to get cracking on a B1/B2visa asap. O/wise you will be stuck with the usual 3 month tourist visa and ESTA registration.

Heh - my bad - you said 2016, not 2015 - so plenty of time to get your visa organized!

Yep that time we were there was brutal. -30 in the sun....the wind was ******* brutal

It's something you have to experience.

When you are there, you ******* hate every minute of it as its cold as * but as soon as you are home, you say...when can I go back.

It's something you have to experience.

When you are there, you ******* hate every minute of it as its cold as **** but as soon as you are home, you say...when can I go back.
I loved all of it. After being there for a month, I was desperate for home...but now I'm so hanging to go back it's not funny. Greatest city.

We walked from our place to dominos during the polar vortex in shorts...1km, my legs were blue. They've never seen that silly s**t before :)

I loved all of it. After being there for a month, I was desperate for home...but now I'm so hanging to go back it's not funny. Greatest city.

We walked from our place to dominos during the polar vortex in shorts...1km, my legs were blue. They've never seen that silly s**t before :)

yeah, i loved it but hated the cold.

I had a long sleved shirt on, a hoody, a spray jacket and beanie and my hoody over the top of that and was still cold.

I had tee, hoodie, massive ski jacket from C21...didn't feel a thing. I get way too hot, but it's great not getting hot with 4 layers and gloves.

Last time we stayed with relatives in Staten Island, and ever since they post awesome NY Pics every bloody day...always saying "when are you coming back?...come whenever you want". I get so jealous.

Last week was the Kanye Roc City concert in Flatiron, Super Bowl and other stuff. I'll be trying to get back at the end of the year if I can get some annual leave

I had tee, hoodie, massive ski jacket from C21...didn't feel a thing. I get way too hot, but it's great not getting hot with 4 layers and gloves.

Last time we stayed with relatives in Staten Island, and ever since they post awesome NY Pics every bloody day...always saying "when are you coming back?...come whenever you want". I get so jealous.

Last week was the Kanye Roc City concert in Flatiron, Super Bowl and other stuff. I'll be trying to get back at the end of the year if I can get some annual leave

I'm heading back in April 2016. Counting down the days already.

Good time. Hopefully we will be back in either November 15 or Feb 16.

Might be able to swing a work trip hopefully too, So I'll take some days ;)

Much cheaper as well.

Traditionally we head over at christmas and new year period and that peak season. Will save a stack of money on the flights and accommodation.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Just back from USA and first it was the Super Bowl then a couple of days in Vegas (hired a Ferrari for 6 hours) and finally onto Boston staying with friends - was there for 2 weeks where the temperature didn't get above 0C and had a snowstorm one weekend (went snowboarding at Loon Mountain in New Hampshire) and the following weekend it was Blizzard Neptune. Great to see so much snow and how the locals deal with it.

about to head off to America in 13 days for our 5 week honeymoon!

got all our tours and events booked in and ready to go:
Boston v Philly boston
New York Rangers v Anaheim @ Maddison Square Garden
New York food tour (fat daves food tour)
Aladdin on broadway
48 Hour hop on hop off NYC bus tour (done NYC before but missed a few things last time)
Disneyworld (Orlando)
Universal Studios (Orlando)
Seaworld / Discovery Cove (Orlando)
Grand Canyon Helicopter tour
Criss Angel show in vegas

Left Hawaii and Fiji pretty empty so we have some time to relax. We have Pearl Harbour in Hawaii before which was amazing, any other suggestions for things to do while there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Portland, Oregon- Portland is such a vibrant city. There were at least 4 festivals going on the weekend I was there including an International beer festival which was great. A plethora of food, including the famous food trucks which line the streets. A vegetarian's paradise, but plenty of options for all tastes. Would love to live there one day
I loved Portland as well, Under-rated city

Left Hawaii and Fiji pretty empty so we have some time to relax. We have Pearl Harbour in Hawaii before which was amazing, any other suggestions for things to do while there?

http://www.polynesia.com

This (IMO) is a much and will take a full day out of your itinerary. You can get a luxury bus to pick you up or drive yourself.

You can also pick from a traditional Polynesia menu or a typical American buffet. The tour and show was brilliant.

got all our tours and events booked in and ready to go:
Boston v Philly boston
New York Rangers v Anaheim @ Maddison Square Garden
New York food tour (fat daves food tour)
Aladdin on broadway
48 Hour hop on hop off NYC bus tour (done NYC before but missed a few things last time)
Disneyworld (Orlando)
Universal Studios (Orlando)
Seaworld / Discovery Cove (Orlando)
Grand Canyon Helicopter tour
Criss Angel show in vegas

Skip SeaWorld in Orlando, it is crap. I spent maybe three hours there and left. Discovery Cove is pretty cool though and is nice and relaxing. The lazy river that goes under the waterfalls and through the bird enclosure is pretty bloody cool.

I suggest going to Busch Gardens I Tampa (look it up). You catch the bus from SeaWorld and it takes you out there and picks you up at closing time. The theme park is a mixture of Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Zoo with some of the most amazing rides.
270396_10151218419278008_144364289_n.jpg

580671_10151218422888008_699890268_n.jpg

150213_10151218419018008_1045687342_n.jpg

321090_10151218434848008_128882481_n.jpg

My wife and I have 3 nights in Anaheim as last leg of 50 days in USA (Calif, Vegas, Nashville, Memphis, NO, Boston, NY, tour of Eastern Canada etc).
Any suggestions on hotels there? (mid-market types preferably)

Sounds brilliant.

In Hawaii you just have to do the hike to Diamond Head - view from the top is amazing (not too hard on the body getting there either).

Also, something much less known is Manoa Falls - also quite close to Waikiki, and well worth the effort.

Otherwise, just hanging on the beach is the way to go.

Sure you will have a fantastic time.....

Sounds brilliant.

In Hawaii you just have to do the hike to Diamond Head - view from the top is amazing (not too hard on the body getting there either).

Also, something much less known is Manoa Falls - also quite close to Waikiki, and well worth the effort.

Otherwise, just hanging on the beach is the way to go.

Sure you will have a fantastic time.....
Have to agree the views are fantastic

But the best part was laughing at all the Japanese women walking up the trek with their high heels on :D

I went to Canada/USA in August 2012, will be going back there in September/October this year. I did the Grand Northern Contiki tour last time, self guiding this time around with the ball & chain. Going to a few of the same places I went on Contiki (San Fran, Toronto, Chicago, New York, Las Vegas) but a lot of other places too. If anyone else has been to any of them & can give some recommendations that would be awesome! Basic itinerary:

Los Angeles
- 3/4 days, only went through LAX so will be getting my first sights of LA. Doing a Hollywood tour, Universal Studios & taking a trip to Santa Monica & hopefully not getting mugged would be a bonus.
San Francisco - Really just going for Alcatraz again, also going to do some things I didn't get to do last time like cycle across the Golden Gate bridge
Vancouver - Seeing a bit of the other side of Canada (only did Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto), will be staying here with an old workmate of my girlfriend so I'm sure we will get to see some cool stuff the locals know about. Planning to do the seawall bike route as well for some fresh air, scenery & not to be totally lazy
Banff/Jasper - Heading there for some spectacular sight seeing, hopefully some mountain biking (pending travel insurance lol) & kayaking a few of the lakes in the area. Would ideally go during winter though
Toronto - Loved it when I went last time for no real explanation, just seemed like a place I'd really like to live. Maybe because it's a major city but it's not full on hectic..or didn't seem it to me anyway. Will be going to the Niagara falls again as well
Chicago - Another place I loved but didn't get to see enough of (because it's so damn big). Deep dish pizza again for sure! Did Navy Pier, went up the Hancock tower & watched a ball game at Wrigley Field last time there
New York City - Was only there for 3 days until the tour started, managed to get sick on the 2nd day which wrote off the plans of seeing Central Park considering I couldn't walk more than 50m without having to sit down & keep everything internal. Did a red bus tour, seen Times Square etc. Planning on going on a trip to Staten Island/Statue of Liberty (only seen it from near the WTC site, want to see it closer up), doing a tour of the WTC site & the new tower which was only ~50% of the height it is now when I was there. Was basically a construction zone when we went there but couldn't get tickets for the memorial so I'd like to see it in more detail
Boston - Another place I went to, didn't want to go again but my gf is a big Celtics fan & she also likes the Bruins. With any luck with timing they will have a home game when we are there, we will just miss out on the start of the regular season though but hopefully they would have a practice game. Will need luck for a Bruins game too, the NHL season will have just started when we get there.
Washington D.C - Not locked in yet but may be included. No idea what to do apart from the usual see the White House, memorials etc
Miami & Orlando - The gf wants to go to Harry Potter world (shoot me) & Disneyland etc, so going to do that & probably the Kennedy Space Centre as well. Not overly keen on Miami itself because most people I've spoken to have said it's pretty over-rated & a bit dodgy, but everyone's different really. Going there for only a night or two because we are going on a 3/4 day cruise to see the Bahamas.
Bahamas - Beach, drinks, not sure what else. Maybe try some scuba diving or something hopefully
Houston - Wanted to include Texas somewhere, probably going to settle on Houston. I would just like to eat something the size of my head.
Las Vegas - I'd be happy to go here & only here, but will only be there for 8/9 days. Best mates sister lives there so will get to see her for the first time in ages & hopefully do some more cool stuff. Didn't go to the gun store like I was planning last time, this time is definite. Will also do Exotics Racing again but there is another one you can hire similar cars but drive through Red Rock Canyon, may try the different one but need to look into it more. Will take another trip out to the Grand Canyon, I've told the missus we are going hiking so she better step the fitness up so I don't leave her behind :)

Will be grabbing mostly internal flights, but wouldn't mind driving at the very least Vegas back to LA before the flight home. Wouldn't mind a bit of road tripping, likely be a lot easier to drive between Miami & Orlando as well I guess when you weigh up between costs, time & potential delays. If anyone has been there during a similar time and/or have recommendations, go for it! Cheers :)

I went to Canada/USA in August 2012, will be going back there in September/October this year. I did the Grand Northern Contiki tour last time, self guiding this time around with the ball & chain. Going to a few of the same places I went on Contiki (San Fran, Toronto, Chicago, New York, Las Vegas) but a lot of other places too. If anyone else has been to any of them & can give some recommendations that would be awesome! Basic itinerary:

Los Angeles
- 3/4 days, only went through LAX so will be getting my first sights of LA. Doing a Hollywood tour, Universal Studios & taking a trip to Santa Monica & hopefully not getting mugged would be a bonus.
San Francisco - Really just going for Alcatraz again, also going to do some things I didn't get to do last time like cycle across the Golden Gate bridge
Vancouver - Seeing a bit of the other side of Canada (only did Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto), will be staying here with an old workmate of my girlfriend so I'm sure we will get to see some cool stuff the locals know about. Planning to do the seawall bike route as well for some fresh air, scenery & not to be totally lazy
Banff/Jasper - Heading there for some spectacular sight seeing, hopefully some mountain biking (pending travel insurance lol) & kayaking a few of the lakes in the area. Would ideally go during winter though
Toronto - Loved it when I went last time for no real explanation, just seemed like a place I'd really like to live. Maybe because it's a major city but it's not full on hectic..or didn't seem it to me anyway. Will be going to the Niagara falls again as well
Chicago - Another place I loved but didn't get to see enough of (because it's so damn big). Deep dish pizza again for sure! Did Navy Pier, went up the Hancock tower & watched a ball game at Wrigley Field last time there
New York City - Was only there for 3 days until the tour started, managed to get sick on the 2nd day which wrote off the plans of seeing Central Park considering I couldn't walk more than 50m without having to sit down & keep everything internal. Did a red bus tour, seen Times Square etc. Planning on going on a trip to Staten Island/Statue of Liberty (only seen it from near the WTC site, want to see it closer up), doing a tour of the WTC site & the new tower which was only ~50% of the height it is now when I was there. Was basically a construction zone when we went there but couldn't get tickets for the memorial so I'd like to see it in more detail
Boston - Another place I went to, didn't want to go again but my gf is a big Celtics fan & she also likes the Bruins. With any luck with timing they will have a home game when we are there, we will just miss out on the start of the regular season though but hopefully they would have a practice game. Will need luck for a Bruins game too, the NHL season will have just started when we get there.
Washington D.C - Not locked in yet but may be included. No idea what to do apart from the usual see the White House, memorials etc
Miami & Orlando - The gf wants to go to Harry Potter world (shoot me) & Disneyland etc, so going to do that & probably the Kennedy Space Centre as well. Not overly keen on Miami itself because most people I've spoken to have said it's pretty over-rated & a bit dodgy, but everyone's different really. Going there for only a night or two because we are going on a 3/4 day cruise to see the Bahamas.
Bahamas - Beach, drinks, not sure what else. Maybe try some scuba diving or something hopefully
Houston - Wanted to include Texas somewhere, probably going to settle on Houston. I would just like to eat something the size of my head.
Las Vegas - I'd be happy to go here & only here, but will only be there for 8/9 days. Best mates sister lives there so will get to see her for the first time in ages & hopefully do some more cool stuff. Didn't go to the gun store like I was planning last time, this time is definite. Will also do Exotics Racing again but there is another one you can hire similar cars but drive through Red Rock Canyon, may try the different one but need to look into it more. Will take another trip out to the Grand Canyon, I've told the missus we are going hiking so she better step the fitness up so I don't leave her behind :)

Will be grabbing mostly internal flights, but wouldn't mind driving at the very least Vegas back to LA before the flight home. Wouldn't mind a bit of road tripping, likely be a lot easier to drive between Miami & Orlando as well I guess when you weigh up between costs, time & potential delays. If anyone has been there during a similar time and/or have recommendations, go for it! Cheers :)
When in NY make sure you try the burgers at Shake shack, best burgers anywhere
Miami is ok, the beaches are cool, but it is over rated
Harry Potter world at Universal studios is pretty cool and I'm not a Harry Potter fan at all. The HP ride which is like a 4d coaster type thing is the best ride I have ever been on (and I've been to a lot of theme parks). Plus get a double pass to both parks at universal studios so you can go to Simpsons world

Los Angeles

Also check out the Griffith Park Observatory. You can hike up or ride/drive the road, we hiked up after a big night on the piss and any hint of a hangover I had was gone by the time we got to the top. It gets very steep towards the top.

Chicago -
Hopefully you are there when the Blackhawks are playing. Head to the Billy Goat Tavern, right near the UC, before the game for a beer (or many) and a cheezborger
Central Park
I walked the entire length of Central Park from top to bottom by myself and it was so peaceful. Awesome view of the sun setting over the city as I was on the top end of the lake and it was amazing. Won't forget it. Recommend walking prior to dusk.

Top of the Rock too for great views of NYC. Sunset is the best time
Wanted to include Texas somewhere,
Have you thought about Austin? You'll be able to see a UT Longhorns game and tailgate with the locals and its really something that has to be seen to be believed. And of course that famous Texas BBQ - Franklins, Salt Lick, Louie Millers
Golden Gate bridge
Definately do this.
When in NY make sure you try the burgers at Shake shack, best burgers anywhere
Definately. Although I would recommend the one under the Brooklyn Bridge rather than the ones in Manhattan. Bugger all people in the Brooklyn one as opposed to long queues 50m out the door in the Manhattan

Get to In and Out Burger

Usually not a fan of fast food burgers but had one of these and they are brilliant.

I wish I knew they were good last time I was there, that's on the to do list as well!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back