Toast Vale Robert Flower (1955 - 2014, 272 games, Captain, HoF member, Legend)

Remove this Banner Ad

Shattered to hear the news this morning. One of the true greats of our game. As an opposition supporter you just couldn't hate this bloke. He will always be remembered as one of, if not the greatest winger of all time.

My heartfelt condolences to his family, the supporters and the Melbourne Football Club.

RIP Robbie. What a sad day. Easily in my top 5 greatest footballers I've ever seen.

A gentleman, utterly respected by all players, supporters & footy fans alike. Deservedly in Melbournes team of the century as he is one of the all time great players I ever saw play the game.

Sorry for your loss.

My condolences to his family and friends. Always rated him as one of the best Melbourne players I had seen in my lifetime.

Vale.

Cheers for the memories Robbie.

Great player & great clubman.

It sucks to loose the good ones but I it happens to us all sooner or later, unfortunately this time too soon. :(

I hope all you Dees supporters can just think of the good things this bloke did for your club & celebrate the man & his life.

For the guys that had the chance to watch Flower - how come Flower didn't win more club B&Fs? He only won 1 B&F. Playing in a club that had a weak 33% winning percentage, surely he could have won more if he was as great as he is reputed to be.

(p.s. I started supporting the Dees in 1988, so just missed out).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always admired his loyalty. Vale Robbie.

This is a jumper my dad had when he used to regularly head to the G to watch the Dees play in the 80s (he doesn't go much anymore because he lives interstate). He was at the '87 prelim and can recall it vividly. The jumper is well loved and has been worn for many kicks of the footy, both by my dad and me.

The number on the back was, of course, 2. It has since worn off but the jumper remains one of my most prized possessions.

A very sad day, very sad news.
I was lucky to meet Tulip on a number of occasions through work many years ago and through an ex Melbourne player (#21) I used to work with.
Robbie was an absolute gentleman and always made you feel welcome. He also had a great sense of humour.
A great man on the ground and just as great off the ground.

RIP.

I hope that one day we win a premiership in my lifetime, and the 2,31 and 11 Jumpers are draped infront of the players
What an incredibly special moment that would be

Unfortunately it doesnt feel like its a reality...

Last edited:
RIP Robbie. I remember the great duels he had with Micky Turner. One game at the MCG where Turner kicked a great running goal to try to lift Geelong, at the resulting centre bounce Flower tried to emulate him to change the momentum back. Didn't quite do it, but didn't matter in the end. From memory Melbourne started like a house on fire, Kelvin Templeton kicked a couple of goals early and then got injured and went off in the 1st quarter, but Melbourne still ended up winning (which was an upset from memory).

For the guys that had the chance to watch Flower - how come Flower didn't win more club B&Fs? He only won 1 B&F. Playing in a club that had a weak 33% winning percentage, surely he could have won more if he was as great as he is reputed to be.

(p.s. I started supporting the Dees in 1988, so just missed out).

Because B&F awards can be manipulated to give a result to suit a purpose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back