VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

They dont seem to have issues calling the frees for Werribee

No effect on the outcome - we're not good enough - but call them equally.

GO Catters

So we have atkins Bowes and Bruhn all available (hopefully) to come back in next week with one out (Danger).

From vfl only really seems like Conway could also push for a change next week (given 5 day break after). That would be up to 4 changes which is more than enough given 2-0.

Tried hard but did very little. Not sure Werribee lost a marking contest in our 50 tbh.
We wait another week for the bashing down of the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn’t watch the first 3 qtrs. Any feedback on Wiltshire. Stats low?

Also Willis got 2 goals but not many posessions?

Foster and Neale a quiet but assume that was driven by not many opportunities?

I didn’t watch the first 3 qtrs. Any feedback on Wiltshire. Stats low?

Also Willis got 2 goals but not many posessions?

Foster and Neale a quiet but assume that was driven by not many opportunities?
Wiltshire did a couple of smart things early but he looked knackered in the second half. Willis played the first half on ball and had once nice clearance but otherwise was very quiet, his two goals were well taken but came from pretty egregious turnovers. Neale spent some time in the ruck and tried hard but he and Foster were well beaten forward.

My only real interest is Neale. How’d he go?
I thought that he was very ordinary today.
He kicked one goal that was a gimme from a pass 15 meters out.

No one including Conway? Concerning if that’s the case
Conway for sure at AFL level in bursts, has all the tools and could be a genuine game changer for us once he develops. But for all the doubters I would hate for Rhys to go down for any length of time this season.

I get that Werribee are good. And I did only watch the last quarter. But it really looked like men against boys out there, in both stature and in style of play.

They basically moved the ball with ease down the ground while we struggled for every few metres gained. Absolutely slaughtered us in the air, both moving the ball through uncontested situations and also monstering us whenever any longer kicks were employed.

Conway aside, I would have to agree with those that have said nobody in that team is remotely close to being ready to play seniors at this point. Unless you're going back to Jedda, I guess.

Still, the midfield injuries are really hurting this Bankers line-up as well. When the 'depth' mids are running around in the ones, there really isn't much left to anchor the middle of the ground in the twos. So if we don't get better availability in there over the course of the season, I can't see us getting close to the better VFL sides again this year. Which does hurt development as well, of course.

#notalottolike
#cavalryrequired

I went to the game.
Conway took a big contested mark in the first 1/4. So he can take contested marks. He will need time to build an AFL ready body.
Neal's only goal was a gimme near the goal square. But it must be said that the over-handballing ball movement from Geelong is not conducive to a forwards success. So while he moves well for a player of his size he did not find much of the ball.
The Cats struggled to find avenues to goal.

Knevitt is a good mark over head but struggled today. Blame the late plane trip back if you like.
Geelong constantly sell their team mates into pressure with handball to players already under pressure.
The only positive for me was to see Willis get through the game unscathed. He had one very nice clearance early in the game and ended up with 2 goals.

Although it is just the first round, and we were playing last season's runners up, I did not see any players that looked like they could be remotely considered for AFL selection in the near future.
Phoenix Foster looks out of his depth on the field. He is a big kid but found it difficult to get anything like a clean possession.

I think that Lucas replaced Parfitt on the VFL list.

Geelong 7:8:50 defeated by Werribee 16:7:103

Goals: 2 to Willis & Murray , 1 to Bradtke, Neal, Knevitt.

I get that Werribee are good. And I did only watch the last quarter. But it really looked like men against boys out there, in both stature and in style of play.

They basically moved the ball with ease down the ground while we struggled for every few metres gained. Absolutely slaughtered us in the air, both moving the ball through uncontested situations and also monstering us whenever any longer kicks were employed.

Conway aside, I would have to agree with those that have said nobody in that team is remotely close to being ready to play seniors at this point. Unless you're going back to Jedda, I guess.

Still, the midfield injuries are really hurting this Bankers line-up as well. When the 'depth' mids are running around in the ones, there really isn't much left to anchor the middle of the ground in the twos. So if we don't get better availability in there over the course of the season, I can't see us getting close to the better VFL sides again this year. Which does hurt development as well, of course.

#notalottolike
#cavalryrequired
But that's because it is men against boys, right? Look at the top 10 disposal winners - they're physically mature guys who have played a decent amount of VFL footy (in a few cases 80+ games). We only have a handful of guys who fit that description (Hardie, Jeka, VDH, Herbert, Capiron) and they were probably out best - doesn't help that four of them are defenders.

But that's because it is men against boys, right? Look at the top 10 disposal winners - they're physically mature guys who have played a decent amount of VFL footy (in a few cases 80+ games). We only have a handful of guys who fit that description (Hardie, Jeka, VDH, Herbert, Capiron) and they were probably out best - doesn't help that four of them are defenders.
Absolutely. I'm not saying it's surprising. Just pointing out how noticeable it is.

I did not see any players that looked like they could be remotely considered for AFL selection in the near future.

Hardie got a lot of the ball. Might be worth giving him a sub spot; he would have been more effective than Knevitt last night, given that we didn't have any injuries during the match. Or would Hardie need to be elevated off the Rookie list first?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back