VFL VFL RD 12 v Casey. Sunday June 11 1:05 @ Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't matter if there were ulterior motivations. If a senior 23 player hurts himself in the warmup, Allan's elevated into the 23. They'd have to trust in him and his form to take that sort of liberty.
Doesn't take a heap of trust to have someone as back up sub against the worst team in the league.

Bianco - 23 disposals (20 kicks), 9 marks.
Ruscoe - 22 disposals (10 kicks) 7 marks
Macrae -20 disposals. 4 tackles. 8 clearances
Steene - 19 disposals. 6 tackles. 5 clearances. 19 hitouts, 1 goal. 4 marks
Draper - 17 disposals. 5 clearances. 6 tackles
Begg - 17 disposals. 7 clearances. 5 tackes. 27 hitouts
Allan - 17 disposals. 4 clearances. 5 tackles
Kelly - 16 disposals. 10 marks. 1 goal
Ryan - 14 disposals. 5 marks
Krueger - 14 disposals. 5 goals.
Carmichael - 14 disposals. 4 tackles
Wilson - 9 disposals. 2 goals
Murley - 8 disposals

I'm quietly happy to see Draper get a run of games into his body. Will likely still be a project for another couple of years but getting some continuity in his football is a starting point at least.
His brother looks a possible top 5 pick next year

He was quieter today. Just the 13 disposals and 5 marks, but got better in second half.
Ruscoe, Krueger, Bianco, Steene and Begg, the best of the AFL listed players...

I’d go so far as to say it was the worst game I’ve seen Ryan play. Was poor in his contested defensive stuff, and his ball use and decision making were ordinary. A high % of his 8 kicks were playing on from a kick-in and can’t recall any leading to strong offensive movement up field. Note to Ryan, if you’re playing on from a kick-in and choose to run out on to you’re non-existent left foot, don’t wait so long to straighten onto your right before kicking it.

Also think Ruscoe’s game is being over-rated by some. Had some really good periods throughout the game but just continually undermined that with really poor decision making and/or execution.

I think Macrae’s game isn’t getting enough acknowledgement, and against quality opposition. Had him in my top 5 today. I thought he, Draper and Hustwaite got on top in the clearances after the Dees initial onslaught and that was the difference after 1/4 time.

Acknowledging Ryan is a 1st year player and, i think, underage for his draft year (?), I haven't seen much if any real attributes that suggest afl or afl trajectory in the short to medium term.

For mine, to-date, he looks very poor overhead, lacks body strength, struggles in 1v1 contests, possessions (mostly kicks) are short/sideways 20m low impact, provides little run & carry and running gait appears a tad knocked knee'd'.

Clearly he has time on his side and hopefully with another summer in the gym and more experience in the system, there'll be noticeable improvements in a number of those areas ..but he's a long way off the next level.

Acknowledging Ryan is a 1st year player and, i think, underage for his draft year (?), I haven't seen much if any real attributes that suggest afl or afl trajectory in the short to medium term.

For mine, to-date, he looks very poor overhead, lacks body strength, struggles in 1v1 contests, possessions (mostly kicks) are short/sideways 20m low impact, provides little run & carry and running gait appears a tad knocked knee'd'.

Clearly he has time on his side and hopefully with another summer in the gym and more experience in the system, there'll be noticeable improvements in a number of those areas ..but he's a long way off the next level.
I thought he’s shown really good signs in his first year and he’s the one I am least worried about. Has a few things he needs to work on and add to his game, but I am quite confident he’s going to be in our future plans along with Allan.

I thought he’s shown really good signs in his first year and he’s the one I am least worried about. Has a few things he needs to work on and add to his game, but I am quite confident he’s going to be in our future plans along with Allan.
I've watched most of the last 6 weeks of vfl but less of the first 6 weeks so perhaps his early season form was more impressive. Not unexpected for a 1st year kid to get tired as the season progresses if that's a reason for drop-off in output / performance

My thoughts too. We picked up three really good prospects in Allan, Ryan and Steene.

Yep, this. Thought he had a down day yesterday but apart from some early season disposal issues, I thought he'd been the most consistent of the 3 kids we took in the 2022 ND. Love his 1v1, normally a strength, love his overhead marking.

Hopefully a haircut in his not too distant future. Not a fan of the mullet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also think Ruscoe’s game is being over-rated by some. Had some really good periods throughout the game but just continually undermined that with really poor decision making and/or execution.
This is all I've ever seen from Ruscoe.

He's definitely moved way down the depth chart this year.

I've watched most of the last 6 weeks of vfl but less of the first 6 weeks so perhaps his early season form was more impressive. Not unexpected for a 1st year kid to get tired as the season progresses if that's a reason for drop-off in output / performance
He was injured for a good month or so and has been a little inconsistent since he’s come back but to be fair the whole team has been pretty inconsistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back