VFL VFL RD 12 v Casey. Sunday June 11 1:05 @ Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

Really good win against a side that has always seemed to pummel us when we play at their home ground.
Kreuger, if he can stay fit, is everything we’ve been crying out for in a key forward for the last decade. A big aerial presence, pack splitter and booming kick. If he maintains form and fitness then questions will be asked about how we can fit him in to the senior team.
Steene is the other who really impressed me today. He has an excellent aerial game, and as a ruck/forward there’s a lot to work with there. Definitely has a promising future.

Yes I recall. But I have not heard anyone raving about him in recent weeks.
Probably because he didn’t play last week because he was the travelling emergency.

Great win after giving up a big start to last year’s VFL Premiers.

Freddie Krueger showed what he’s capable of up forward with numerous contested marks, 5.1 (and one OOF). Very impressive!

Our other talls played well too, with Begg and Steene our 4th and 5th highest disposal winners. Eye catching performances from Bianco and Ruscoe too. Macrae and Allan solid contributors. Carmichael a bit quiet.

(Was McInnes held over for tomorrow’s AFL game, or is he injured?)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Really hard to show it in the VFL.

Think he will be a perfect MCG player
Can I ask why you think that speed is hard to show at VFL level?
I'd argue the opposite. Players with genuine speed should be able to exploit it even more against part time athletes if they know when and where to run.
Not a crack at you or Ed, just curious as to why you think this.

Yes I recall. But I have not heard anyone raving about him in recent weeks.
He has been quieter in recent times. He didn't play at all last week, being an emergency for the senior team, and getting a trip back home to Perth thrown in. About a month ago he missed a game with Covid, and wasn't as prominent as usual in the next couple of games. He's still not in the sort of form he was in earlier in the year, but I think the club would be well aware they have a real talent on their hands. With the senior team doing so well he might be running out of time to break into it this year, but I think he's shown he's of AFL quality, and think he should be a good long-term player for us.

Probably because he didn’t play last week because he was the travelling emergency.
By 'recent weeks' I was thinking of more than two. In any case, I wasn't writing him off. I just would have expected that with all the early season hype, he might have been mentioned among names in contention for a senior spot when injuries were decimating our regular players. Didn't he get covid at some stage and fail to recapture his early season form upon return?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has been quieter in recent times. He didn't play at all last week, being an emergency for the senior team, and getting a trip back home to Perth thrown in. About a month ago he missed a game with Covid, and wasn't as prominent as usual in the next couple of games. He's still not in the sort of form he was in earlier in the year, but I think the club would be well aware they have a real talent on their hands. With the senior team doing so well he might be running out of time to break into it this year, but I think he's shown he's of AFL quality, and think he should be a good long-term player for us.
You must have pre-empted my next post which occurred around the same time as yours.

Can I ask why you think that speed is hard to show at VFL level?
I'd argue the opposite. Players with genuine speed should be able to exploit it even more against part time athletes if they know when and where to run.
Not a crack at you or Ed, just curious as to why you think this.
To me the thing is that he doesn't yet know when and where to run

Really good win against a side that has always seemed to pummel us when we play at their home ground.
Kreuger, if he can stay fit, is everything we’ve been crying out for in a key forward for the last decade. A big aerial presence, pack splitter and booming kick. If he maintains form and fitness then questions will be asked about how we can fit him in to the senior team.
Steene is the other who really impressed me today. He has an excellent aerial game, and as a ruck/forward there’s a lot to work with there. Definitely has a promising future.

Kreuger everything we've been crying out for the last decade?

I thought the same of Ben Reid.

K did play well though from the glimpses I saw. Respect his kamikaze attack on whatever is nearby -- ball, pack, air, goalposts, trees, his own body....

Agree but disagree, we have enough options for Ruck/forward, Freddy needs to be just a forward. Going forward our 2 rucks Cox/Cameron with Begg and Steene to slot in as needed. Freddy a stay at home forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back