VFL VFL Round 15 v Frankston. Sunday July 2nd. 12pm @ Kinetic Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. If all they wanted from Ginni was to kick goals, they'd have him permanently in the forward pocket. We all know he can kick goals. But he needs more than that to break into the AFL side.

“We all know he can kick goals”

That’s just not true. In 2022 he kicked goals, but things have changed. opposition defenders play him differently and he isn’t getting free kicks anymore, and now he’s going at 1 goal a game, which isn’t even close to being enough for a low pressure forward like him.

He needs to kick goals and provide good pressure to make it, there’s no way around it. Doing one but not the other isn’t enough.

Jack has played 4 vfl games now for a return of 4 goals, if he doesn’t step up he’ll find himself out of the system.

That’s just not true. In 2022 he kicked goals, but things have changed. opposition defenders play him differently and he isn’t getting free kicks anymore, and now he’s going at 1 goal a game, which isn’t even close to being enough for a low pressure forward like him.

He needs to kick goals and provide good pressure to make it, there’s no way around it. Doing one but not the other isn’t enough.

Jack has played 4 vfl games now for a return of 4 goals, if he doesn’t step up he’ll find himself out of the system.
He got 10 goals last year from free kicks. So they weren't all from frees. And he absolutely does know how to kick goals.

He's down on form & confidence. Our coach is a development coach and he's asked Jack to work on different aspects of his game. And that's what he's doing. He expects more from all our forwards than just kicking goals.

It's painfully obvious that you're a Ginni doubter and jump at any opportunity to doubt his ability to work on other aspects of his game.

Thankfully Fly knows what he's doing. We have plenty of players currently playing in our AFL side who had their doubters. Fly gets the best out of players. And he'll get the best out of Ginni.

If you choose to believe otherwise, that's your perogative.

I know he did but unlike kink who had the same muscular frame but the talent to go with it Terry never did either here or at the tigers after us.
He was reportedly undisciplined. He was in line for a senior recall just prior to finals in 1990 but was caught at a night club when players were under curfew. Had a fight with a team mate etc. Had talent but lacked the real work ethic. We redrafted him in 93 or 94 but don't remember hom playing a game

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He isn’t getting free kicks anymore. Lmao he hasn’t been getting free kicks since round 5 last year but still kicked 40. You’re acting like dumb oppo supporters who were under this illusion last year that Ginni only got goals from frees.
He’s having a down year, as often happens to young players. He’ll come back better next year, assuming he has more brains than his predecessor Stephenson and has more than half a brain cell.

He isn’t getting free kicks anymore. Lmao he hasn’t been getting free kicks since round 5 last year but still kicked 40. You’re acting like dumb oppo supporters who were under this illusion last year that Ginni only got goals from frees.
He’s having a down year, as often happens to young players. He’ll come back better next year, assuming he has more brains than his predecessor Stephenson and has more than half a brain cell.

After round 5 last year he got 22 free kicks, the vast majority of those in the forward 50 and a large amount of those leading to shots on goal/goals.

In 2023 he's gotten... 2 free kicks. If you can't see the difference there then you're acting like a dumb biased supporter.

Clearly the game has changed for Jack after 2022, and he'll need to adapt or he'll be replaced, that's the brutal nature of AFL footy.

I didn't think he'd return to AFL within the next couple of weeks. But he's working on what Fly has asked of him.

I agree with you there, and l would love to see him back at senior level, but from what he showed last year with a 40 goal season, l really thought he would’ve taken another step this year, and be one of the premier small forwards in the competition, but has gone backwards this year at a rapid rate, and l just wonder if the indiscretion and pressure of expectation has had a negative effect on him this season.
I'm sure he is working on his game, and trying his best to tick those boxes, so hopefully he can rediscover that form of 2022.....

After round 5 last year he got 22 free kicks, the vast majority of those in the forward 50 and a large amount of those leading to shots on goal/goals.

In 2023 he's gotten... 2 free kicks. If you can't see the difference there then you're acting like a dumb biased supporter.

Clearly the game has changed for Jack after 2022, and he'll need to adapt or he'll be replaced, that's the brutal nature of AFL footy.
He got 8 of his first 21 goals from free kicks last year, with the bulk of those coming in the first 6 rounds via high contact. Round 6 was when he kicked 5 against Essendon and admitted he played for high contact frees. He scored 11 goals to that point.
Of his last 18 goals of the year, he only got 2 via free kicks. In total he got 10 goals from frees, 12 from general play, 15 from marks, and 2 from 50m penalties.

So a quarter of his goals came from frees, which I doubt would be much more than the average AFL forward. Spare me your hyperbole and stop cherry picking stats. It’s pathetic.

Last edited:
I was referring to Ginni. In answer to someone asking what mojo he had lost...the mojo he's lost imo is lack of confidence. He'll be fine. And he'll be back. Thankfully Fly has confidence in him too. We have a few players in our current best 22 who were lacking in confidence & down on form in their previous clubs. Fly brings out the best in players. And Ginni, AJ etc are no different.
Would not be surprised if Jack doesn’t play seniors for us again. On his VFL form, he is now behind Hill, McCreery, Elliott, Reef, Harrison and possibly Carmichael. Just too slow sadly

Would not be surprised if Jack doesn’t play seniors for us again. On his VFL form, he is now behind Hill, McCreery, Elliott, Reef, Harrison and possibly Carmichael. Just too slow sadly
Maybe it won't be this year, maybe it will. If he keeps working on what he's been asked to work on, has a good preseason, no reason why he can't be in the mix with others next year. I know there are plenty who want to write him off. I'm not one of them.

Elliott style? Thats his go much more than kpf. Having a couple of proper talls in the team should help him.
Feel this might be his eventual in as an Elliott replacement. Got the same burst speed and strong hands for a lead up forward, but capable at ground level and bursts in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel this might be his eventual in as an Elliott replacement. Got the same burst speed and strong hands for a lead up forward, but capable at ground level and bursts in the middle.
I see him as a strong, explosive inside midfielder. He’s a special talent, Reef.

Lee Walker had sublime talent for a CHF at 197 back when KPF were a lot shorter.
Walker but for 4 knee recos could have been a generational player, alas he played only 16.
Rusling played a similar amount of games and had talent but my memory is that Walker had him covered for talent.
Which I don’t make lightly as, Rusling was highly talented.
16 and 17 games from them we only saw a glimpse of what might have been…
Walker was a freak. Rusling was an athlete.

His other problem is he doesn't seem to have the endurance to play midfield -- I wonder if he could be trialled at half-back the way they're doing with Bianco. He's a natural forward but he needs to add some strings to his bow.

Great show by the Reef man. Thx to the poster who linked the YouTube clip of the game. Our seconds look like they're a chip off the old block re: game style and run and carry. Really good culture for them to replicate.

Just cannot for the life of me see Macrae dislodging anyone from our senior team which is a shame as I would love to see how he stamps his authority on a midfield position. Maybe the Fremantle game coming up? Or the Hawthorn game?

His other problem is he doesn't seem to have the endurance to play midfield -- I wonder if he could be trialled at half-back the way they're doing with Bianco. He's a natural forward but he needs to add some strings to his bow.
His best bet is as a fast leading forward.
I reckon he will make it. Later this year or at worst next year.
Prefer him to Ollie Henry.

Great show by the Reef man. Thx to the poster who linked the YouTube clip of the game. Our seconds look like they're a chip off the old block re: game style and run and carry. Really good culture for them to replicate.

Just cannot for the life of me see Macrae dislodging anyone from our senior team which is a shame as I would love to see how he stamps his authority on a midfield position. Maybe the Fremantle game coming up? Or the Hawthorn game?
The issue for Finn is with the addition of Mitchell and the breakout of Nick in the mid, we really bat quite deep there. There’s also Degoey, adams, and then crisp and pendles can run through, hell even sidey.

Worst case scenario he’s handy depth for now

The issue for Finn is with the addition of Mitchell and the breakout of Nick in the mid, we really bat quite deep there. There’s also Degoey, adams, and then crisp and pendles can run through, hell even sidey.

Worst case scenario he’s handy depth for now

Worse still is that he’s not even competing with Daicos, who is a completely different type of player with his pace and agility.

Macrae is like a more inside Lipinski type; dual sided one paced, will win more contested ball but isn’t as good a kick.

Macrae is obviously contracted for 2024, but if he doesn’t cement himself for us, he should fit into a midfield that has more pace around him than we do. We have De Goey and now, in some capacity which is yet to be determined in terms of CBA’s etc., Nick D.

For those that want to know what happened with the fight close to 3 Qtr Time

Frankston player who had the original dangerous tackle charge can accept the maximum fine for a vfl listed player of $150

5 Collingwood and 5 Frankston players can accept reprimands for wrestling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back