Game Day VFL Wildcard Round week 1 v Richmond. Sunday August 27 - Swinburne Centre (Punt Road), 12pm. Live on Ch7

Remove this Banner Ad

I think just not AFL level. But understand they probably won’t play him due to conservative injury management
I figured since he technically not on the list, unless there was a spare spot available, he can't play at any level. I've got no evidence to back this up though, just what I assumed.

I figured since he technically not on the list, unless there was a spare spot available, he can't play at any level. I've got no evidence to back this up though, just what I assumed.
You could be right but I think that would just apply to afl matches. They would need an injury exemption for him though. Very much doubt they risk him though

Wow. We have not lost at punt road in 127 years at this level. Maybe we shouldn't have worried about losing home ground advantage lol

COLLINGWOOD vs RICHMOND​

COLLINGWOOD 4.4, 7.5, 16.7, 21.9 (135)
RICHMOND
2.4, 7.7, 8.9, 8.12 (60)

A nine-goal third quarter blitz booked Collingwood an elimination final trip to Williamstown as it thumped an undermanned Richmond by 75 points at the Swinburne Centre.

The Magpies trailed by two points at half-time after the Tigers produced an impressive five-goal-to-three second quarter despite only fielding eight AFL-listed players to their opponents’ 16.

However, Ash Johnson’s major a minute into the third quarter opened the floodgates.

Collingwood kicked eight unanswered goals in 23 minutes to blow the contest sky high and added the last five after Hugo Ralphsmith briefly blocked the avalanche in the shadows of three quarter-time, with the second half scoreline reading 14.4 to 1.5.

Despite having to give up their home ground advantage with Victoria Park being out of action, the Magpies were untroubled by a ground where they have not lost at this level for 129 years.

Collingwood won the disposal count by 83 in holding Richmond to less than 300 possessions and winning every statistical category, including tackles 53-51.

They had no shortage of avenues to goal with 10 players hitting the target including seven multiples, headed by Nathan Kreuger, who took five marks and kicked 4.0. Reef McInnes and Aiden Begg booted three each, with the latter also winning 19 disposals, six marks and 14 hitouts while laying seven tackles.

MicInnes was unfortunately one of two casualties for the victors after hurting his collarbone, while Josh Carmichael was forced from the field following a head knock and did not return.

First-year player Ed Allan starred with 26 touches, 99-game co-captain Lachie Tardrew warmed up for his looming milestone with 24 disposals, six marks, five inside-50s and four rebounds and Fin Macrae backed up from an AFL substitute appearance on Friday night to have 23 and six tackles.

At the back end, Richmond couldn’t find a way past the returning Will Kelly (20 disposals, 10 marks, five rebounds), assistant coach Neville Jetta (20 disposals, nine marks), co-captain Campbell Hustwaite (20 disposals, six clearances, seven tackles, one goal), Campbell Lane (19 disposals, 10 marks) and Trent Bianco (19 disposals, eight marks).

Meanwhile, young ruckman Oscar Steene played one of his best games with 13 touches, 19 hitouts, five clearances and two goals.

BEST
Collingwood:
A. Begg, T. Bianco, W. Kelly, E. Allan, N. Kreuger, F. Macrae, L. Tardrew, N. Jetta, C. Hustwaite
Richmond: L. Street, M. Pickett, B. Melville, S. Ryan, M. Lefau, B. Cooper, H. Ralphsmith.

GOALS
Collingwood
: N. Kreuger 4, A. Begg, R. McInnes 3, J. Richards, O. Steene, T.G. Wilson, T. Wilson 2, H. Harrison, C. Hustwaite, A. Johnson
Richmond: N. Cumberland 2, K. Bradtke, A. Hicks, G. McDonagh, M. Pickett, H. Ralphsmith, S. Ryan

So much for the VFL game v Richmond being unable to be played at Vic Park “because you can’t charge admittance there”!

View attachment 1794237

It was never that. It just wasn't available at the time. They have been fixing up parts of the turf in prep for the AFLW season.

It was never that. It just wasn't available at the time. They have been fixing up parts of the turf in prep for the AFLW season.
Ah fair enough Jen, I was misinformed then.

Which then begs the question why wasn’t the game played at AIA given we were the higher qualified team?!

Ah fair enough Jen, I was misinformed then.

Which then begs the question why wasn’t the game played at AIA given we were the higher qualified team?!
Can they play a final there? I'm not totally sure. Feels like it has to be vic park or elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can they play a final there? I'm not totally sure. Feels like it has to be vic park or elsewhere.
It’s all irrelevant now of course but gate receipts aside, if AIA is good enough for VFL roster matches then I fail to see why finals couldn’t be played there - or a Wildcard game that some have said was technically not a final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back