Review VS Geelong review/rant megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree entirely re skill level and decision making tangles. Was very poor in the first half. We fumbled, ran into each other, miscommunicated and sprayed the footy quite a bit.

Just a little concerned about wallis at the moment. He needs to be careful not to turn into a "sideways, backwards, chip it around, slow handball to player under pressure" kind of player. Does any of that make sense? I just feel he's become very very very conservative with his disposal, and isn't helping the team at all. Anyone else think Mitch is being highly ineffective so far this year?

I'm not sure we need to worry about Wallis to much Fronk, he was a little quieter last night but did run with James Kelly most of the game. He reminds me of Westy in his early mid field days and I think his hand balling is a little more creative than you're giving him credit for. As soon as we can add more outside run & spread to our list and game style he'll become a very dangerous player....

G'day guys, don't mean to intrude or stomp on your face when your down but here to let you know that from an outsiders point of view there is ALOT to work with for the future.

Really enjoyed watching the younger brigaide and the glimpse of the future. The early game showing of Jason Johanissen was very impressive and something to work with. Liam Jones was simply irresistible, looks a completely different player when he is allowed to run and jump at the ball, rather than scrapping body on body. I must say I was very impressed with the work rate of young Wallis. Much has been made of Little Libba this season, but the developing inside group at the Bulldogs is going to cause some trouble for even the best of them.

In short, so many short highlights and glimpses of the future. The work of Roughead at either end, the no fuss approach of the manchild in #9, Wallis & Liberatore again showing why everyone was pissed the Bulldogs got a steal in them, Johannisen early.

Guys, stay positive, might not be next year, but the Dogs are building something special. It is certainly exciting and I found myself barracking for the young pups in the late 4th quarter surge at one stage.

Jones was immense last night. And perhaps the thing I liked most (aside from marks goals crashing pacs etc) was he left it all out on the track. He was spent in the last minute or two of the first half but hung on and then fronted again in the second half and kept going.
I thought the young inexperienced forward line looked unburdened by the presence of experience.

For a long time now I have felt that our forward line was killing us. Chronically slow players like Gia, and Cordy together with half hearted efforts from Higgins have see defences clear our forward thrusts with impunity. When the team was selected for this week I was very interested to see if their exclusion and the inclusion of a little more mobility would change things.

With all due respect to Gia his lack of leg speed has reached chronic proportions and his opponents know it; allowing them to run off him to come in as the third man in our forward forays and to create the loose man on the rebound.

It will be interesting to see if our forward line continues to be more potent during this period with Gia and Higgins unavailable and Cordy in the VFL. - Very interesting indeed!

As others have stated, JJs game last night was a major step forward. I had my doubts of the value of Young, other than as a decoy for Cooney, but he too last night took a big step forward. In Smith, we may have found a good foil for Dalhaus. He may not have the electric pace of a Yarran or Motlop but Smith is stronger, more physical and more courageous. It will be interesting to see if he can make this role his own. Particularly as Dalh does his best work further up the ground and Smith seems to be a more natural crumber.

I think we potentially found a few pieces which fit the premiership jig saw, last night. Only 8 more pieces to find.

Thinking about what a weapon Taylor was last nite and has been for a few weeks. 193cm and 96g. Can attack and defend and a good shot on goal. Fletcher Roberts (currently) 194cm and 87gs. Can attack and defend and a good shot on goal. Mmmmm

Yep get all excited just like last year when they played "admirably" against geelong and collingwood then lost 15 in a row. Go doggies we sorta got close! i didnt want to make it personal but it seems when u dont have an argument, stat or shred of evidence to support gandpa Mac from sleepy hollow u go for the personal stuff - Your weak as piss, Ra ra team we lost ADMIRABLY

On a highnote thank god the MRP will rub out the clanger king in the back pocket (you cant paint eggs by farting on them goodesy) one game doesnt make a champion and u have already played ur one and only career best game!

Yeah I agree! Sack Macca! Delist Goodes!

At half time in the replay now, geez the umpiring has been shocking towards us, didn't realize last night because I was too pissed haha but now looking back at it, we were completely killed whenever we got any momentum.

Sam Hay (20) Robert Findley (23) & Leigh Fisher (33) should never umpire again after last night
Leigh Fisher is a former St. Kilda player, even more reason to hate St. Kilda.

I reckon the reason Wallis was so quiet is that they're attempting to add another role to his game. We already have an abundance of inside midfielders, so if they all have a secondary role that could be dangerous. Wallis was looking at being a good outside defensive player - which makes sense, because he's good both offensively and defensively inside, but when he's on the outside he's not as good offensively which means he needs to be defensively minded. Not sure who he tagged, was it Bartel or Kelly?

Anyone know where I can watch a replay. That AFL Smart Replay is not working for me, apparently I'm accessing it from abroad and denies me access. Stupid thing

Went to the game, wouldn't mind watching a replay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wallis needs to hone his forward craft, otherwise his spot in the team is in danger. Needs to become as good a mark as he is in my AFL Live game where he rotates off a flank. :cool:
Yea I agree. I was a little concerned watching Wallis and Boyd last night. I'm worried that Wallis is modelling his game on Boyd's and focusing exclusively on winning the inside contest. This is a good thing but he can not forget the importance of effective disposal.

Libba, on the other hand, seems to be mastering both.

Clay Smith - Get him up here i want to boof him. Love the way he goes about it. Will be a gun.

Who else thought Podsiadly was going to be shattered into a million pieces when Clay ran into him?

Lucky it was J-Pod and not Stokes or Motlop or one of their other smaller forwards/mids.

Clay is fearless and just has the type of head that you know he is just as happy as dishing out some hurt as he is getting his hands on the footy.

Cannot articulate how much I love the way he goes about it. Must play as a forward that can rotate through the middle.

Yep get all excited just like last year when they played "admirably" against geelong and collingwood then lost 15 in a row. Go doggies we sorta got close! i didnt want to make it personal but it seems when u dont have an argument, stat or shred of evidence to support gandpa Mac from sleepy hollow u go for the personal stuff - Your weak as piss, Ra ra team we lost ADMIRABLY

On a highnote thank god the MRP will rub out the clanger king in the back pocket (you cant paint eggs by farting on them goodesy) one game doesnt make a champion and u have already played ur one and only career best game!
I truly wish there was a dislike button on this forum.

If our blatant acceptance of mediocrity is upsetting you, there's always Facebook. I think you'll like it. They hate everything about the club too. :rolleyes:

One player that hasn't been mentioned much is Koby Stevens, I really liked his game and his kicking was really good last night as well. I think him playing on the wing and Clay down forward is the way to go all year

All we heard before we picked him up was how he has a contested possession machine but had questionable disposal, but I've yet to see much evidence of the latter!

All we heard before we picked him up was how he has a contested possession machine but had questionable disposal, but I've yet to see much evidence of the latter!
Played very well. Gives our midfield better balance with genuine size, is good overhead and kicks a loooooong ball. Not a speedy outside mid but a really really nice combo mid. Will run out games better with another pre-season or 2 under his belt as well.

One further rant I forgot to add earlier - I love Luke Dahlhaus. He brings pace and a work rate to our team that was lacking and is essential. He is easily in our best 22 and must be picked each week BUT he is 178 cms tall always will be and has been since he arrived at the club. Almost every time he plays his opponent will be much taller than him (but probably not quicker). Therefore is it totally useless and pointless for our players to kick high slow floaters to him that are aimed somewhere in the vicinity of 1 to 2 metres directly above his head. It is far too easy for the defender to either knock the ball away or mark it. Either hit him on the chest with the ball ( preferable) of if you lack the skill to do this, put it out wide so he can use his pace to get it. Just stop putting the ball on his head.

I was having a beer with Tony Dean, The Athenian & Dry Rot after the game and we were all disgusted that the rest of the doggies supporters are accepting this mediocrity crap of losing and being happy. Not good enough.

Clearly MacDonald isn't up 2 a coaching posiztion. He is a high school teacher nothing more, you said youself. Peter Gordon needs to be replaced with Paul Roos and we need a big KPF who can take a strong mark, like a Dawes or a Petrie.

Wow! It would have been an interesting conversation with you three there. Full of positivity and knowledge of football.

Just because there is half a brain between you all, just want to let you know I am being sarcastic...

Just replayed the game. Goodes was poor last night. Too slow/loose defensively and butchered the ball kicking in and rebounding from half back.

Jj on the other hand was superb. Has such a nice feel for the game and can just accelerate when he needs to. Sees the ground really well and makes good decisions.

Boyd shouldn't have even called for the hand pass from jones when he stubbed the kick. He's awful on the left anyways so irresponsible to even call for it.
I barely noticed Boyd last night apart from a 50 metre penalty which resulted in a goal and too often when Goodes had the ball he had options forward but looked for the safe option and chipped it side ways; do expect better of both. Dahl was pretty quiet but is young and if he finds any sort of 4 quarter consistency he'll be an all aus. small forward. Whilst Geelong were the umpires pets last night, Geelong just had too much class last night in the end.
Just glad none of my friends highlighted Tom Hawkins/Paul Chapman been out, because we had alot of important players out to

Remove this Banner Ad

Back