WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Victoria trying to set up a WACA style deal for cricket at the Junction Oval
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...da-football-club/story-fnocxssc-1227131220481

As the self proclaimed Sports Capital of the World its good to see cricket getting a gig in Melbourne.

The folly of allowing cricket to play 2nd fiddle to a suburban cricket club, the majority of whose members follow footy, is here for all to see.

Went to the game last night expecting a paltry crowd of under 15000, given that the start time has been moved earlier from 4.40pm to a ridiculous 4.10pm, and that it's the Monday before Christmas. Very surprised to see that the actual figure was 18693. The temporary seating was set up so there were still seats available on the peasants side, plus I've seen the members side fuller. Next game is the "traditional" Boxing Day Big Bash, which only drew 15953 last year, but given what we saw yesterday I think we'll see 18-20k there.

Must say, if you're going to play a game at 4 in the afternoon the people on the eastern side would really hope for a decent-height structure in the west to get in the way of the sun before it gets too low. I remember during the AO reconstruction in the Western stand we all had that problem sitting in the east - I found a nice seat in that little stand on the old south hill, where the old Bradman stand blocked the sun after about 2pm, that was fantastic :)

With Perth Stadium to be ready for football in 2018 I'd be amazed if the WACA Ground sees out another 10 years. Spectators won't stand the s**t facilities and Cricket Australia won't stand the restricted revenues when there's a much better stadium just over in Burswood.

With Perth Stadium to be ready for football in 2018 I'd be amazed if the WACA Ground sees out another 10 years. Spectators won't stand the s**t facilities and Cricket Australia won't stand the restricted revenues when there's a much better stadium just over in Burswood.

It will come down to money. The WACA own their ground, but they'd have to rent the new stadium. Only really big crowd-pullers would move to the new stadium - ODIs and domestic T20. Nothing else would be worth it, they will stay at the WACA.

Australia and Scorchers will move to the new stadium. Shield could stay but pretty quickly the WACA would realise "* this, let's sell the land and pocket the money".

It will come down to money. The WACA own their ground, but they'd have to rent the new stadium. Only really big crowd-pullers would move to the new stadium - ODIs and domestic T20. Nothing else would be worth it, they will stay at the WACA.

That is true, but it must be expensive to hold major events at the WACA given the amount of temporary facilities that need to be installed like toilets and bars. Those costs aren't going to be incurred at the new stadium, and the increase in revenue might make up for any rent.

That is true, but it must be expensive to hold major events at the WACA given the amount of temporary facilities that need to be installed like toilets and bars. Those costs aren't going to be incurred at the new stadium, and the increase in revenue might make up for any rent.
A lot of the facilities at the WACA are now pretty permanent. What isnt is set up at the beginning of the cricket season and doesnt get taken down till March, so it's not an ongoing cost. What revenue they could make at the new stadium depends on what deal they can make with the new stadium's management. As a guide Queensland Cricket need 25000 through the gates just to break even, so anything around that mark will keep even most ODIs at the WACA.

But why play at a ground where people don't want to attend in greater numbers?
I reckon scorchers would get an extra 10 to 20k at the new stadium,with majority of the extras being there for novelty factor,new stadium,plus the remainder of new ones being there because its a great stadium.
I lived in Perth for near on 35 years and went to waca twice,first time it was horrible,second time it was to give it a second shot and it was worst. The waca is a tv watching venue..

Having been in qld for 3 years, I have already been to gabba a handful of times.
Plus, over past 30 years I purposely went on holidays to games at mcg and scg to watch cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But why play at a ground where people don't want to attend in greater numbers?
I reckon scorchers would get an extra 10 to 20k at the new stadium,with majority of the extras being there for novelty factor,new stadium,plus the remainder of new ones being there because its a great stadium.
I lived in Perth for near on 35 years and went to waca twice,first time it was horrible,second time it was to give it a second shot and it was worst. The waca is a tv watching venue..

Having been in qld for 3 years, I have already been to gabba a handful of times.
Plus, over past 30 years I purposely went on holidays to games at mcg and scg to watch cricket.
That's why they've already pencilled in Big Bash to move, because you can realistically expect 30k for the Scorchers at a suitable timeslot.

Seems odd. I thought the Perth test was a bit of a favourite because it goes into prime time in the eastern states. Making Perth a night test would see it dragging on till midnight and beyond eastern time, which would be too late for many people if it's a working day.

Seems odd. I thought the Perth test was a bit of a favourite because it goes into prime time in the eastern states. Making Perth a night test would see it dragging on till midnight and beyond eastern time, which would be too late for many people if it's a working day.
add to that, you won't get much greater turn out in crowd size.

Watching the cricket show, it seems they are pushing the perth test to be a night test. Seems very silly to me due to the loss in ratings for the eastern states...
Ignore them, the commentators on Channel 9 are muppets. The executives were probably facepalming in the studios listening to them suggest the idea of a Perth night test. No way they'd want a test that'd just finish at midnight over east.

A lot of the facilities at the WACA are now pretty permanent. What isnt is set up at the beginning of the cricket season and doesnt get taken down till March, so it's not an ongoing cost. What revenue they could make at the new stadium depends on what deal they can make with the new stadium's management. As a guide Queensland Cricket need 25000 through the gates just to break even, so anything around that mark will keep even most ODIs at the WACA.

Surely they could just sell the WACA and build a smaller boutique cricket ground 20-25k with top facilities.

That piece of the CBD would be worth a fortune.

Ignore them, the commentators on Channel 9 are muppets. The executives were probably facepalming in the studios listening to them suggest the idea of a Perth night test. No way they'd want a test that'd just finish at midnight over east.
The Channel 9 commentators always love reminding us that Test cricket from Perth comes to the eastern states in prime-time.
Probably they were just failing again at mentioning this fact for the x millionth time ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back