Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
kurt-angle-milk.gif

The milk man cometh

Full article

He was with Reid at the draft so the good mates bit isn’t just made up

Says they’ll be looking for a place to live together post Christmas

West Coast has signed up No. 1 pick Harley Reid’s great mate Jason Gilbee to play WAFL next year in another adventure for the milk-loving former GWS rookie.
Giants rookie Gilbee went viral this year after admitting he had replaced his entire water intake with milk, dubbed “Milky” by coach Shane Mumford after drinking up to 10 litres a week.

Category B rookie Gilbee was delisted after only a season as a 191cm running midfielder and was at Marvel Stadium as part of Reid’s entourage on Monday night to see him selected as the No. 1 overall pick.

Gilbee told this masthead on Sunday he was keen to try new life experiences and also push his AFL aspirations playing with the Eagles’ WAFL side.

But living with Reid – who has quashed any talk about homesickness after signing a mandatory three-year deal — can only help the brilliant mid-forward settle in under Adam Simpson’s care.

It is a canny move by the Eagles, who will ensure Reid is surrounded by friends while also giving former Bendigo Pioneers teammate Gilbee a football lifeline in the WAFL after he was shocked to be delisted.

Gilbee jokes he has set up a football factory, having helped good friends Aaron Cadman and now Reid on their respective journeys to become a No. 1 AFL draft pick.

“After (I was delisted) I was pretty keen to get home but once I did I said to myself, ‘I am 19, if I don’t do anything else I will regret it in a few years’ time.’

“With Harley coming over to Perth it probably got me over the line but I wanted to have a few life experiences too,” he said as he arrived in Perth for a pre-Christmas fact finding mission

“So I have come over and will try something different. Obviously there is that connection (with Harley) but they were keen though to get me over to see what I was doing. They are keen to have me over, not just as Harley’s mate.”

Gilbee and Reid established a firm friendship through their Coates League careers, with Reid often bunking down at the Gilbee family house in Bendigo if he needed a place to stay on football duties.

They will live together post-Christmas, with Gilbee in awe of Reid’s capacity to handle the hype this year playing for six teams amid speculation about his intentions.

“He has dealt with it all year. It’s a lot of pressure for a young fella. I don’t know how he does it but he has been unbelievable. It doesn’t get to him. For the first couple of weeks I will stay with (new Eagles ruckman) Matt Flynn, who was at the Giants as well. Then after Christmas me and Harley will try to get a place.”

Gilbee took the milk episode in his stride but admits the pressure to perform even as a category B rookie was difficult to adjust to in his single year with the Giants.

“Now I have finished with the Giants, you speak to people about not putting as much pressure on yourself. You get caught up with trying to impress and get a spot and if you can play with some freedom it helps.

“We went through a few things in my exit interview and it was a bit of a shock (to be delisted – but I sat down with ‘Cads’ afterwards and he was great. It is unfortunate but that’s the way it is. It’s a tough industry and I was on the wrong end of it.”

Oh god that's a bad idea. Gilbee will get sick of losing and he will have a bad taste in mouth and leave.

Wafl beagles is not good for morale. Worst case is he bad mouths eagles to Reid.

Better hope the contract is long/well paying and he gets a chance to go main roster

Oh god that's a bad idea. Gilbee will get sick of losing and he will have a bad taste in mouth and leave.

Wafl beagles is not good for morale. Worst case is he bad mouths eagles to Reid.

Better hope the contract is long/well paying and he gets a chance to go main roster

The first step in fixing the Beagles is player availability.

It’s the biggest issue we have as a club because it magnifies all of the other problems

The first step in fixing the Beagles is player availability.

It’s the biggest issue we have as a club because it magnifies all of the other problems

Second step is building a strong top-up squad. Adding two recent AFL listed players in Ruscoe and now Gillbee is a good start.

Sounds like something written by Our Kane or Our Sam.

Excellent move and regardless of the Harley connection, as Miguel has already said, Gilbee and Ruscoe are two very solid signing to strengthen the Beagles.

Nice move recruiting team. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually thought Gilbee looked a pretty good prospect in last year's draft. He'll be a handy addition.

191cm, a good height and looks like he's a utility

Given the mass exodus by wafl players that was working with us and now forced to pick between wafl or jobs.

Can we assume ruscoe and gilbee will be replacing Alec Waterman and Brayshaw in those community roles?

“Mass exodus”? Do you know how many of our 2023 WAFL list that actually affected? I’m pretty sure it was only Waterman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back