WAFL Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course, if we remove the games restriction, and we begin talking about the biggest "what if?" careers in WAFL footy history, the talk will lead and ultimately settle upon one man - John Todd.
One big "what if?" WAFL career I have looked at a lot lately is Gary Fathers of Subiaco, who played a mere thirty-seven matches for the Lions before a horrific car smash near Margaret River around the 1978 New Year (can someone give me the exact date) put an end to his ambitions in the WANFL.

Fathers started slowly in 1975 and 1976, but in 1977 he booted eighty-four goals for the Lions, and was remarkably consistent: he did not kick more than seven in any match, but even Ross Glendinning in his prime could not hold Fathers to less than two. At the end of 1977, Fathers was viewed as the heir to Austin Robertson, and what he would have done but for the car crash is an interesting question since he would have had a good decade more to prove himself had he not been severely injured. It's easy to see how much better Subiaco would have done in 1982 if they had had someone like the Fathers of 1977 to kick to - or he might have been a star spearhead in the VFL since, despite his awkward kicking style, Fathers' competitiveness in generally beaten teams won rave reviews from The West Australian??

We need WAFL tables and SANFL tables sites

I had started collating WAFL stats in the hope of incorporating them into Paul's (W)AFL Tables site. As I'm sure you all know, collecting and presenting stats is a big bloody job. Now I know a few out there have their own sites, set out in their own way, and that's fantastic. I presume the AFL Tables site is heavily accessed so I was looking to fit into its structure.

I was hoping to have put some time into this in recent months but I didn't. I know there's a lot of data that was never recorded, such as every detail about Sandover Medals, but would anyone like to see this project come to fruition? NB. I had had some discussion with some of you about which clubs should be considered separate entities and which shouldn't, but the list of teams below may not be 100% accurate.

WAFL_index.JPG
WAFL_season.JPG
WAFL_sandover.JPG

I had started collating WAFL stats in the hope of incorporating them into Paul's (W)AFL Tables site. As I'm sure you all know, collecting and presenting stats is a big bloody job. Now I know a few out there have their own sites, set out in their own way, and that's fantastic. I presume the AFL Tables site is heavily accessed so I was looking to fit into its structure.

I was hoping to have put some time into this in recent months but I didn't. I know there's a lot of data that was never recorded, such as every detail about Sandover Medals, but would anyone like to see this project come to fruition? NB. I had had some discussion with some of you about which clubs should be considered separate entities and which shouldn't, but the list of teams below may not be 100% accurate.

View attachment 50874
View attachment 50875
View attachment 50876

Website needs to be live.

I'm now hosting my site myself with a new domain, if anyone noticed. So a WAFL section is potentially possible, but how it will work would need some discussion.

What was Mal Brown's career games record for his three WAFL clubs?
What was the most goals he kicked in a match?

Round 4 review onlin (without player stats - I'll add them tomorrow)
Highlights this week include West Perth's biggest ever winning margin v East Perth, Swand breaking win streak record v South Fremantle ans Peel kicking their most points in a 4th qtr v Subi
From now on I'll provide link to the scores page, from there you can click the see more link for the games to access the reviews. You can also view round by round ladders here and click link to view the 2014 records page.
http://www.waflfootyfacts.net/Seasons/2014/scores.php

More season added 1930-2014 and updated tema, venues and records pages not far away

I'm now hosting my site myself with a new domain, if anyone noticed. So a WAFL section is potentially possible, but how it will work would need some discussion.
Paul not sure if you've seen my site based on afl table and incorporates Rogers results type match reviews. As my web skills develop I add more stats and data.

www.waflfootyfacts.net

What was Mal Brown's career games record for his three WAFL clubs?
What was the most goals he kicked in a match?

Here you go:

MAL BROWN
Debuted 1965

TEAM | YEAR(s) | GAMES | GOALS
\East Perth|1965-73|166|253.255*
\Claremont|1975-76|12|21.9
\South Fremantle|1977|10|6.6
\TOTALS||188|280.270

*East Perth list his goal tally at 254. I've only got 253 but there may be a match where I'm missing goalkicking data.

As for most in a game, Brown kicked 6 goals in a match on three occasions:

6.4 vs Swan Districts in Round 1, 1965 (Debut match)
6.5 vs Swan Districts in Round 1, 1972
6.1 vs Claremont in Round 9, 1972

Thanks for the Mal Brown info. Looks as though goal-kicking accuracy was not his strong point ~ nearly as many goals as behinds.

I had a feeling Mal had played 205 club games altogether (including his 14 for Richmond). This would have given him the same total of club games as Campbell played for Hawthorn and Gold Coast. I was going to post this in Stats Observations but it seems Mal is three short of Campbell.

Thanks for the Mal Brown info. Looks as though goal-kicking accuracy was not his strong point ~ nearly as many goals as behinds.

Those mid-60s East Perth sides, while dominant to the point of consistently losing Grand Finals (they were Grand Final losers in 1960, 1961, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969), were also consistently inaccurate for a time there.

YEAR | GAMES | GOALS | BEHINDS | ACCURACY
\1960|24|371|360|50.75%
\1961|23|314|385|44.92%
\1962|21|271|272|49.91%
\1963|22|315|291|51.98%
\1964|21|195|264|42.48%
\1965|21|235|309|43.20%
\1966|24|325|397|45.01%
\1967|24|370|336|52.41%
\1968|24|337|362|48.21%
\1969|23|373|354|51.31%
\TOTALS|227|3106|3330|48.02%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Major update to the team records section of the website. Explore win loss records, scoring and margin records, streaks, quarter and half records, records at each venue and against each opponent. You can also view a season by season summary and a list of all games played per club. Get your mind lost in a numerous number of stats - Defunct clubs North Fremantle and Midland Junction also included.

Please leave feedback via Facebook, Twitter or the Feedback link on the website. Venues and WAFL Records section to be updated next along with Season reviews for 1898-1919. 1885-1897 will be also included in the near future. Enjoy!
http://www.waflfootyfacts.net/teams.html

Sorry mate - been off the grid for a couple of weeks.

I don't really have a concrete idea, only that it may have something to do with the size of their respective noses :)

Hi, just hoping if anyone knows how many career goals Ray Bauskis kicked for South Fremantle? and how many games he played? or any other stats?
Also I've been told he has a Doig Medal, but I can't find any info confirming what year he received it etc. only that its awarded to those who play for Freo in the AFL, but he ofcourse never played AFL.
(I'm his daughter in law, just trying to put together some stats for his birthday presentation if anyone is able to help)
Thankyou in advance!

Hi, just hoping if anyone knows how many career goals Ray Bauskis kicked for South Fremantle? and how many games he played? or any other stats?
Also I've been told he has a Doig Medal, but I can't find any info confirming what year he received it etc. only that its awarded to those who play for Freo in the AFL, but he ofcourse never played AFL.
(I'm his daughter in law, just trying to put together some stats for his birthday presentation if anyone is able to help)
Thankyou in advance!

Hi - I just sent you a message with year-by-year details, but I'll put them here for you as well:

YEAR | GOALS | BEHINDS
\1973|13|5
\1974|34|25
\1975|47|33
\1976|59|61
\1977|107|64
\1978|83|43
\1979|76|41
\1980|8|12
\ TOTALS | 427 | 284

Ray kicked 5 or more goals in a game on 35 occasions, with his best haul being 13.4 versus Subiaco in Round 11, 1979.

He also had the distinction of being one of the few WAFL players to kick 10 or more behinds in a match when he kicked 6.10 versus Subiaco in Round 5, 1976.

From the looks of things, Ray loved playing Subiaco. In 12 games against them he kicked 72 goals, 70 of which came in his final 10 matches against the Lions. He kicked 10+ goals against them twice, plus two more bags of 9 goals.

I can maybe get some more information from you later tonight (games tallies etc).

Hope he has a great birthday!

G'day stats fans...

Round 7 review on line - minus player stats which I'll add during the week.
Tipping not going so well only 1/4 last 2 weeks!
Huge number of stats relating to high quarters this week with quite a few goalless and a couple scoreless quarters. Some streak ending and other gaining momentum.
http://www.waflfootyfacts.net/Seasons/2014/rnd_7_review.php
Also site update: all scores and seasons from 1898 complete . If you haven't already explored the new teams pages there's lots of stuff in there. If there's anything (apart from player and attendance data - which will be added some time soon) let me know. Still working on updating the venues and WAFL records pages but getting there.

Hi - I just sent you a message with year-by-year details, but I'll put them here for you as well:

YEAR | GOALS | BEHINDS
\1973|13|5
\1974|34|25
\1975|47|33
\1976|59|61
\1977|107|64
\1978|83|43
\1979|76|41
\1980|8|12
\ TOTALS | 427 | 284

Ray kicked 5 or more goals in a game on 35 occasions, with his best haul being 13.4 versus Subiaco in Round 11, 1979.

He also had the distinction of being one of the few WAFL players to kick 10 or more behinds in a match when he kicked 6.10 versus Subiaco in Round 5, 1976.

From the looks of things, Ray loved playing Subiaco. In 12 games against them he kicked 72 goals, 70 of which came in his final 10 matches against the Lions. He kicked 10+ goals against them twice, plus two more bags of 9 goals.

I can maybe get some more information from you later tonight (games tallies etc).

Hope he has a great birthday!

Oh wow, that's great! That's actually more goals than what was quoted from one of his team mates! Thankyou heaps, really appreciate it!! Me too, its his big 60th :)

UpForGrabs do you know if your stat for 1977 takes into account the missing goal incident? I have a few sources which indicated he got 108 in 1977 was all. Sorry, not trying to be a pain, we're organising a frame of his South Fremantle jumper which will contain an engraved plaque with the overall goals he achieved. Just don't want to get it wrong, so i'm cross checking all the stats i've found.

Attachments

• p15-1.jpg
    p15-1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 106
I seem to remember Ray and his wife Lyn also having a very smart horse (pacer) back in the early 90's called Scotlyn Ray who won many big races at Gloucester Park!

Site update: I have now expanded the WAFL records section which includes the normal scoring records, margins and qtr x qtr records. In the margin section you can view all drawn matches, all 1 point margins and 100+ margins. You can view a season summary and summary for each venue - you can even view a list of every game played. Bear in mind all records on my site are from 1898 to this stage.

http://www.waflfootyfacts.net/WAFL_records.html

Site update: I have now expanded the WAFL records section which includes the normal scoring records, margins and qtr x qtr records. In the margin section you can view all drawn matches, all 1 point margins and 100+ margins. You can view a season summary and summary for each venue - you can even view a list of every game played. Bear in mind all records on my site are from 1898 to this stage.

http://www.waflfootyfacts.net/WAFL_records.html

Awesome job! Thanks so much for doing this. You've done what I always wanted to do but never had the know-how to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back