Opinion Was Melbourne's pandemic premiership a flash in the pan?

Was Melbourne's 2021 flag a flash in the pan?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

We didn’t have a great year. The ten wins in a row to start the year probably cost us as we never hit top gear and had an easier draw than first thought. Played like we thought it’d just happen. Also far more banged up then last year. Missed a trick not resting players during the season even if only playing some of the mids outside a bit more.
Still finished second and have a relatively young list. We’ll be back up there.

*pandemic premiership

You mean when we played a full season with full length games, finished first and didn't get a single home final?

People use "pandemic premiership" like an insult, when really we did it tougher than other premiers.

Never really looked at their 2021 level but still finished 2nd on the ladder. They should be in contention with quite a number of teams

undecided with Melbourne from 10-zip to out in straight sets...strange game footy. Ben Brown and Luke Jackson gave them nothing all year. Tom Macdonald was a huge loss for them. Alot of their players became very selfish in front of goal, they need to re-jig the forward line with someone younger like a Hipwood or Mitch Lewis.

You could compare this Melbourne side with Richmond of 18/19. I feel like the competitiveness of the competition will be a lot higher next year than it was in 2019. I reckon that post-bye Richmond in 2019 would still probably be premiership favourites now, but our only true competition that year was Geelong.

On the other hand, the dees will likely have Geelong, Sydney, Richmond, Brisbane to deal with, Collingwood may still improve and be even stronger next year and the dogs and Port will likely bounce back. And honestly, any team except maybe North could really surprise us and shoot up the ladder.

The Dees are a good side and will probably be thereabouts again next year, but it will take a mighty effort for 2021 to not to be a flash in the pan. Dees fans would be expecting at least one more flag from the Gawn/Petracca/Oliver era.

They were just a bit battered and bruised during the second half of the season. We'll see in 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it wasn’t. But that forward line needs a huge tweak. Ben Brown bending down would be a massive start.

Premiers to out in straight sets in a matter of 12 months.

Flash in the pan or will they be genuinely contending for the flag again in 2023?
Pandemic premiership? You mean the year we won the flag in the season that 17 other teams also played in?

The term ‘pandemic premiership’ doesn’t even make sense.

Main downfalls were McDonalds injury exposing a paper thin forward line and Goodwin's inability of unwillingness to try out alternatives.

They're also still fairly reliant on their big 3 in Gawn, Oliver and Petracca, 2 of which were nowhere near their best in finals due to injury.

I'd back them in to be challenging for a flag again next year.

A lot of things went wrong, straight sets exit will smarten them up.

Lots of talent still on the list, will be around top 4 next year, from there it just needs a little luck

Still don't understand the pursuit of Grundy, just looks all wrong and gives a direct competitor salary cap relief

I really do find these types of discussion threads insulting. Every flag is tough to win and even if it's a one off (West Coast '18), it's still not a flash in the pan. The same with the "weakest year ever" discussions. That's total bulltish!!

Yeah they had a bad 2nd half of the year. I think their midfield and defense in the 1st half of the year covered up the forward line deficiencies. Teams worked out in the 2nd half how to get around the May, Lever defense and here we are today.

Regardless, what an unbelievable flag it was for them in '21.

Too early to tell. It is however a good sign for them that they didn’t play their best footy, had a sputtering forward line and had a fairly banged up list by the end of the year BUT still finished second on the ladder.

I suspect they’ll bounce back next year, especially if they sort out the issues with their forward line, but time will tell I guess.

Only pandemic premiership was really Richmonds which were shortened games (almost completely irrelevant to AFL footy)

Melbourne still have a strong midfield and backline, just need to find some way of fixing their horrible forward line.

Last time I checked, every team played under the same conditions.

I keep telling myself, don't bite. Don't bite.

Too early to tell.
It's a tough comp. Guaranteed a few teams will improve 10% or more. Can the Dees keep up?

Can the Dees solve goal scoring, eccentric oppo movement into their backline, and upgrade their culture from the internal bickering evident on the field?

I fear we have Blues 95 Bombers 2000 on our hands.

Flash in the pan or not, most Dees supporters couldn't give a * either way. At least we can now say we have seen a premiership!

But to the OP for apparently how poorly we were playing during the year we finished the h&a in 2nd place. We were massively banged up for the 2nd final loss (no excuse) but we still finish 5th for the year that's not obscenely bad

Every game we lost the opposition played out of their skins which didn't help. But the biggest concerns that need addressing is better forward scoring and stop running out of legs in games (this happened in almost every loss and maybe has something to do with losing Burgess)

Back