Watson to Hird: Don't come back in 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd suggest that misses some very important considerations. The solidarity at Essendon on several levels has indeed been somewhat surprising, and in it's way impressive. But I would advance that bunkering down behind barriers does not make you stronger. It provides an illusion of safety while in the large picture you become weaker.

One example. A few weeks ago there was an amusing talkback radio piece about Woolworths being nailed in court by the regulator for having signs in their stores saying "Bread baked fresh in store daily." The bread was in fact baked elsewhere (Ireland I believe), frozen and then thawed in store daily.

A Woolworths spokesman defended this by stating that they felt they'd done nothing wrong, it was a retail environment and that it was the customer's responsibility to discern that the signs were not true. The station received a stack of talkback callers, texts and emails along the lines of I was confused whether I was listening to a spokesman from Woolworths or a spokesman from Essendon Football Club.

Damage. An impression so strong in the wider community that EFC = untruthful weasels that it can be used as a joke commenting on another subject. And everyone who hears it understands it.

Internal strength is important. But it's not as important as external relationships with other Clubs, the AFL, the broader football audience and the general community.

Perhaps, but in the situation we are in at the moment, I think unity is far more important than external perceptions. The vultures would be far more excited if we were imploding as well.

Did you watch the video? If not, best not to dispute what it says.
We know there was untoward committed by both if not all parties,but that does not substitute blame in the end cause!

Hird has definitely mis-read the play here and he hasn't been welcomed back to the fold as he would've hope.
Ha ha baa hah, you could be more wrong, but you would have to include torturing kittens in your post. Get over yourself, and your skewed perceptions, and leave this to the big boys. EFC and Jimmy tracking nicely to the pre-arranged plans. Don't lose sleep.

Ha ha, Hird thought the fans would be out in their thousands to greet him at Tullamarine airport and the club would organize a ticker-tape parade down Mount Alexander Road to mark the return of the messiah.

Ha ha, Hird thought the fans would be out in their thousands to greet him at Tullamarine airport and the club would organize a ticker-tape parade down Mount Alexander Road to mark the return of the messiah.
Not likely, more a case of "ambush" press by Caro, Purple and Phatprick. But without Vlad leaking the itenerary, like every other juicy morsel - their poxy exclusive's evaporated into F.A.

How little has been forthcoming from the AFL or ASADA since AD walked away in disgrace? The sad clique has been relegated to writing "puff" opinion articles, that surely spell the demise of their printed product. Speculation is not reportage, and tenuous grasps on legal proceedings will not engender loyalty amongst readership.

The ticker-tape parade is currently reserved for #17, which should not be far away, based on current trajectory. And against the disgraceful mistruths of the AFL. ASADA and in particular, the Fairfax media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not likely, more a case of "ambush" press by Caro, Purple and Phatprick. But without Vlad leaking the itenerary, like every other juicy morsel - their poxy exclusive's evaporated into F.A.

How little has been forthcoming from the AFL or ASADA since AD walked away in disgrace? The sad clique has been relegated to writing "puff" opinion articles, that surely spell the demise of their printed product. Speculation is not reportage, and tenuous grasps on legal proceedings will not engender loyalty amongst readership.

The ticker-tape parade is currently reserved for #17, which should not be far away, based on current trajectory. And against the disgraceful mistruths of the AFL. ASADA and in particular, the Fairfax media.
:cry:

Did you watch the video? If not, best not to dispute what it says.
Hird's mouthpiece agrees:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...es-mark-robinson/story-fni5ezi5-1227001937844
On Wednesday morning, Hird said he couldn’t wait to get back to the club. Asked if he was looking forward to it, he said: “Definitely.”

Now, two days later, Little says it was Hird’s idea to not be involved.

If Little expects fans to believe that Hird did not want to be involved in Round 23 and potentially finals, then Little must think the fans are boneheads.

Last edited:
Ha ha baa hah, you could be more wrong, but you would have to include torturing kittens in your post. Get over yourself, and your skewed perceptions, and leave this to the big boys. EFC and Jimmy tracking nicely to the pre-arranged plans. Don't lose sleep.
Your head in the sand comments appear to contradict today's papers and the perceptions of most people with half a brain. I'm truly sorry you do not qualify in that department. Hird is being ostracized by his own people and Little has backed himself into a corner that he ultimately can't get out of unless he walks himself? The Golden boy has been shafted. There is no doubt Hird was under the belief he would be involved in some way or another in the final weeks of this season. The players had no issue with his return, Thompson had no issue, but it does appear the board have plenty of issue with James Hird and it will linger....

I really don't understand why people (the media and on here) are so jumpy on Hird. He came back from France and isn't going to coach for the rest of the year. Well that's not unexpected given that Bomber is the coach for 2014.

There is no reason why he won't coach Essendon next year at the moment and I think his record isn't too bad tbh. No reason why we won't be better under him either.

There is a debate between Essendon supporters as to who should be our coach next year. Some say Bomber and some say Hird. All have their reasons, some valid and some not so valid. It isn't as clear cut as everyone is making it out to be. Personally, I think it is Bomber for a couple of years with Hird as an assistant. He is a two time premiership coach and I think Hird and the club can learn a lot from him. Our structure looks good this year, we have been able to cover injuries and the loss of Crameri quite well and of course player development and support (like Carlisle, Zaharakis, Dempsey, young players stepping up as leaders).

The problem with bigfooty is that people take two comments and generalise the whole supporter base with that. They look at one aspect of a situation and take it as a fact, which is why Hird and Essendon are looked so down upon.

Yeah Essendon supporters can be a bit bias, but most of the other people here are as well. There is no reason why Hird will not succeed as a coach. There is no evidence for that. That view is more to do with people wanting to see Hird fail. We did look like a top 4 team last year and I think we can be a top 4 team next year, whether with Bomber or Hird. I'd be inclined to have Bomber coach us next year though based on experience.

Personally, I think it is Bomber for a couple of years with Hird as an assistant. He is a two time premiership coach and I think Hird and the club can learn a lot from him.

You really think Hird would return as Bomber's assistant? He should have done that to begin with as did Buckley but Hird thinks he's above being an assistant. I'm sure if he had done that the mess that resulted would not have happened.

B
You really think Hird would return as Bomber's assistant? He should have done that to begin with as did Buckley but Hird thinks he's above being an assistant. I'm sure if he had done that the mess that resulted would not have happened.
Based on what? How would Bomber coach Essendon if he was 'burned out'? He left Geelong for a reason.

Your comments about these events are so out of step with reality that no-one can possibly take you seriously.

It is crystal clear from numerous comments by Little, Thompson and Tim Watson and even from Hird himself that this outcome has not been the plan all along and that EFC are, as usual, making it up as they go. Not even the Essendon media mouthpiece at the Hun saw this coming.

M
E
L
T
D
O
W
N.............................

Could have fooled me. He said on his return he would talk to Bomber about what his role would be. If it was all decided why say that?

And he did the doorstop where he said he "definitely" wanted to be coaching asap. Just what Little and the board wanted to hear.
As usual Hird was forcing their hand from a public forum.
As usual it's "me, Me ME".

That trajectory that has not seen you win a final for over 10 years and your last two outings in finals, you got belted by more than 10 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back