Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order and Selections

ROUND 1 :

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (Matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
4. North Melbourne - Zane Duursma
5. Hawthorn - Connor O’Sullivan
6. Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders
7. Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (Matched bid)
9. GWS - Nick Watson
10. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched bid)
11. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (Matched bid)
12. Geelong - Nate Caddy
13. Essendon - Ollie Murphy
14. Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
15. Melbourne - James Leake
16. Hawthorn- Will McCabe (Matched bid)
17. Sydney - Archer Reid
18. St Kilda - Caleb Windsor
19. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
20. North Melbourne - Will Green
21. GWS - Harry DeMattia
22. North Melbourne - Lance Collard
23. North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
24. Collingwood - Charlie Edwards
25. Adelaide - Taylor Goad
26. St Kilda - Ashton Moir
27. Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

ROUND 2 :

28. West Coast - Zane Zakostelsky
24. Gold Coast Matched bid
29. Geelong - Archie Roberts
26. Gold Coast Matched bid
27. Gold Coast Matched bid
30. Carlton - Tew Jiath
31. Richmond - Will Patton
32. Brisbane - Caidyn Cleary (Bid not matched)
33. Essendon - Mitch Edwards
30. Gold Coast Matched bid
35. Gold Coast - Will Graham (Matched bid)
35. Collingwood - Angus Hastie
36. Fremantle - Phoenix Gothard
37. Essendon - Jack Delean
34. Gold Coast Matched bid
38. West Coast - Cooper Simpson
36. Gold Coast Matched bid
39. Brisbane - Joel Freijah
40. St Kilda - Luke Lloyd
39. Gold Coast (surplus from Read bid) Matched bid
41. Richmond - Charlie McCormack (Bid not matched)
41. Gold Coast (traded from Melbourne) Matched bid
42. Western Bulldogs - Luamon Lual (Matched bid)
43. GWS - Billy Wilson

ROUND 3 :

41. Hawthorn Matched bid
44. Sydney - Koen Sanchez
45. Fremantle - Logan Morris
44. Hawthorn Matched bid
45. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
45. Hawthorn Matched bid
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
46. Brisbane - Riley Weatherill
49. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
50. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
47. Sydney - Wil Dawson
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
48. North Melbourne - Liam Fawcett
49. West Coast - Lachie Charleson
50. Fremantle - Nathan Philactides

ROUND 4 :

51. Carlton - Joe Fonti
52. Port Adelaide - Kane McAuliffe
53. Hawthorn (surplus from McCabe bid) - Clay Hall
54. Geelong - Kade De La Rue

ROUND 5 :

55. West Coast - Shaun Mannagh
56. Geelong Harvey Johnstone
57. St Kilda - George Stevens
58. Geelong - Pass

ROUND 6 :

59. St Kilda - Will Lorenz
60. Port Adelaide - Bodie Ryan
61. Western Bulldogs
62. Melbourne (traded from Gold Coast)
62. Gold Coast Matched bid
63. Western Bulldogs - Pass
64. Western Bulldogs - Pass
65. Gold Coast Matched bid
66. Gold Coast Matched bid
65. Hawthorn - Pass
66. Gold Coast - Pass
67. Gold Coast - Pass

NB: I have removed picks that clubs aren’t going to use based on Cal Twomey’s analysis of how many selections each club is expected to make

Last edited:
Well it turns out the player I was after is a Bulldogs academy player, I didn’t realise that because all the phantoms I’ve seen have him going inside 40.

So anyway I’ll bid on Luamon Lual from the GWV Rebels, but since we’re at pick 42 eagles rule gets the chance to match.

Pick 41 Richmond get Charlie McCormack

1699246367582.png

Charlie McCormack​

Height: 198cm
Weight: 76kg
D.O.B: 02-04-2005
Leagues: AFL U18 Championships, Coates Talent League Boys

STRENGTHS:
  • Aerial ability
  • Conversion
  • Marking
  • Upside

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Production
  • Strength

Personifying the term ‘quality over quantity’, Charlie McCormack isn’t a player who accumulates high amounts of the footy, with his highest disposal return at any level this season being eight, but he makes those few disposals count. Generally, his possessions result in scores. A further testament to McCormack's economic impact is how he ended the National Championships as the title-winning Allies' joint leading goalkicker, alongside Jed Walter. In total, he slotted 11 majors from just 18 disposals and gave GWS a glimpse of his potential.
Whilst largely a mark-to-goal type of player currently, McCormack has showcased raw athleticism and an ability to impact when the ball hits the ground - when he keeps his feet. McCormack's height, reach and leap also make him a difficult prospect to handle in marking contests, particularly as he builds confidence throughout a game. Though, he remains a work in progress and there is improvement to come with regards to his accumulation and four-quarter impact. Shifting into the Murray Bushrangers program and rolling into the ruck somewhat developed that late in the season.

Stoked to get the mulleted kid for the Tigers and will fit right in.
Averaged 2.8 goals for the Allies.
Needs to spend some time in the gym at only 76 kgs. If he can pack on the muscle, he has some serious upside.

My other option was Rylie Weatherill but extremely happy Koen's Dad didn't match.

With the Tiger's two picks I had a plan to target tall players as they need another developing forward and back.

Keys Eagles rule hasn’t been online since Friday. Should I just assume they’re matching the bid and move on?
Good call - suits the purpose of the exercise and makes sense as they need a running back. They will match it easily with 61 63 and 64.

Pick 43. Swans

Taking Koen Sanchez (East Fremantle).

I took the gamble not to match Cleary (which was a hard decision) but felt taking Sanchez here means it paid off.
He's got amazing forward craft and super dangerous in the forward half of the ground. For a small is a good mark, but also has a bag of tricks to produce quality goals or find opponents inside 50.

Similar to Noah Long, has played plenty of midfield as a junior and can really accumulate the ball, but it's forward where I see him at AFL level. When he has the ball in hand in the forward line things happen. Very smart footballer and will be a huge threat for Sydney.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 43. Swans

Taking Koen Sanchez (East Fremantle).

Write up to follow.

I thought my nephew Koen might have been the player you were talking about 😂

Good call - suits the purpose of the exercise and makes sense as they need a running back. They will match it easily with 61 63 and 64.

They also had pick 47 (316 points) which easily covers the 198 required to match - an overall surplus of 118 points which I don’t know what to do with

I think the points get added to the Bulldogs next pick (61) to move it up in the draft to pick 52.

I’m sure someone will clarify

With pick 46, the Lions address the tall timber in the draft and select Riley Weatherill. He is a later birthday and managed a tally of 37 goals in the current Coats League.

Keeping with the Lions track record of liking the talls closer to 200 cm, Riley may well be the steal of the draft once he settles into his body size and shape. I always like seeing the talls in their draft year gaining momentum as the season goes on and that is what Westherill did this year.

1699256015389.png

KPF's for Brisbane limited with Henry Smith not yet proven. Lost Fullarton in the trade period but brought in Ryan while losing Gunston.

Keys - can you check the order as the Lions had picks 51 and 54 with Doggies holding 52 and 53. You seem to have dropped off 54.

If I read it correctly, I should be picking again next for the Lions

1699256807112.png

Last edited:
With pick 46, the Lions address the tall timber in the draft and select Riley Weatherill. He is a later birthday and managed a tally of 37 goals in the current Coats League.

Keeping with the Lions track record of liking the talls closer to 200 cm, Riley may well be the steal of the draft once he settles into his body size and shape. I always like seeing the talls in their draft year gaining momentum as the season goes on and that is what Westherill did this year.

View attachment 1847313

KPF's for Brisbane limited with Henry Smith not yet proven. Lost Fullarton in the trade period but brought in Ryan while losing Gunston.

Keys - can you check the order as the Lions had picks 51 and 54 with Doggies holding 52 and 53. You seem to have dropped off 54.

If I read it correctly, I should be picking again for the Lions

View attachment 1847329

From the OP

NB: I have removed picks that clubs aren’t going to use based on Cal Twomey’s analysis of how many selections each club is expected to make

You are right Brisbane have 30,39,51,54 going into the draft but Twomey has reported they’re only likely to use 2-3 picks in the draft. So when setting up the draft order I dropped off pick 54 as it was their 4th pick.

It was also the first pick to disappear into the ether. GWS with 59 was the second

I will listen to complaints

From the OP

You are right Brisbane have 30,39,51,54 going into the draft but Twomey has reported they’re only likely to use 2-3 picks in the draft. So when setting up the draft order I dropped off pick 54 as it was their 4th pick.

It was also the first pick to disappear into the ether. GWS with 59 was the second

Fair enough - Eastcoasteagle I believe you are up again

From the OP

Well, technically we can take 4 picks to the National Draft, as we currently have 33 senior listed players and 5 rookie listed players. Reality is we're trying to trade a couple of picks in to next years draft, and more than likely just want to take 2 draftees, and upgrade McKenna to the senior list.

View attachment 1847313

If I read it correctly, I should be picking again next for the Lions

View attachment 1847329
Great pick. He was my choice if GWS matched.

Pick 47. Swans

Will Dawson (Gippsland Power)

200cm key defender, he is the other reason I didnt match Cleary. Swans fill another list need and really really need a KPD. He is raw but has plenty of athletic traits for his size, I'm very confident he'll be a good key defender in 4 years time.
Strong in the air, good contested mark and one on one.

Tinrattlers is up next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back