Bumped We don't play footy to lose - autopsy vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

My kids were in bloody raptures singing the song at the top of their lungs.

“Feels good doesn’t it?” I asked.

“Dad, I have copped crap from cocky opposition fans at school all year. I can’t wait for Monday!” was my son’s reply. He’s playing in a prelim final himself in the morning and he was walking on air tonight.

My daughter was just thrilled and sporting “happy tears”.

“You’re not concerned we’ve lost pick one in the upcoming draft?”

“I couldn’t give a crap!”

That’s what this is about. Belief and a winning culture. Kids have the memories of a sieve so this one victory means the world to them, and hence me.

F*** the naysayers! 👊

I was pretty torn before the game about missing out on Harley Reid because he looks a class above the others in the draft, but seeing the smiling faces on the NMFC coaches, staff and players (especially those getting their first win), it's pretty hard to think about the potential cost of that right now.
Larkey kicking nine was pretty special and it'll be exciting if we can get a couple more dangerous additions around him next year.
I felt like GC kinda tanked a bit so it's hard to tell how much of it was we played really well vs them going through the motions a bit.
In reality we probably should've picked up a couple of wins before this result so perhaps this was meant to be us having pick 2.
In some ways it's actually the best draft pick to have from a recruiters position as the no. 1 team takes all the heat on the first selection.
Still reckon we're bottom four next year but we should be able to get at least five or six wins. Development isn't always linear though so we'll see.
A massive off-season ahead but one positive is we'll have continuity in a system and program for a change.

“Dad, I have copped crap from cocky opposition fans at school all year. I can’t wait for Monday!” was my son’s reply. He’s playing in a prelim final himself in the morning and he was walking on air tonight.

That’s what this is about. Belief and a winning culture. Kids have the memories of a sieve so this one victory means the world to them, and hence me.

F*** the naysayers! 👊
So much this Toes.

As I zoomed into the driveway with minutes to go, I could hear my Joey roaring at Kayo. The look in his eyes told me everything I needed to know. This young mob have their shinboner hearts forged in the fires of Mordor - they know heartbreak.

The thrill of waiting for the biggest team huddle in history to form a circle & then the unbridled joy of roaring our victory song out of sync with them was precious.

I am with you Toes, to the naysayers I simply roar: Hearts to hearts & hands to hands, beneath the blue and white we stand …

I went into the game with mixed feelings but by the end I was just so happy for them. I’m also having no trouble rationalising that we are likely to still come out of the draft very well, and that days like today inject optimism into the players and coaches we have and to anyone we might target.

Larkey deserved a day out like that, Lazzaro and Dawson and Berg deserved a game to show what they can do. WilPhill and Tom Powell had probably their best games for the season, everyone played their part. They could have folded when they got several goals down after a slow start but they did the opposite, and in the end they found they knew how to win one. Sheezel is extraordinary and Thomas is wonderful and there were passages of play today I’d like to bottle.

I could have focused on the upside if we’d lost, but losing is still horrible and losing on purpose is a deal with the devil. Very glad we didn’t do it.

Nailed it perfectly H2H.

If we had’ve lost, the streak would’ve been 21 games in a row and climbing. There would’ve been no sign of the streak being broken, either. The psychological effect of that would’ve been significant, without a doubt. Talk about a monkey on our back going into the next season! We would’ve spent the entire offseason fearing the fact that we were every chance to break our all time losing streak from back in the thirties! Now, all that is over. There’s a stake of sorts in the ground, finally.

a voice from heaven...
Coach Emeritus Scamper (my little saint Geelong Cat)
meows the follow...
thanks for winning for me...
i am doing The Scamper right now in heaven...
The Scamper.jpg
i want you all to join in with me down in Melbourne right now, and a one and a two...

Last edited:
a voice from heaven...
Coach Emeritus Scamper (my little saint Geelong Cat)
meows the follow...
thanks for winning for me...
i am doing The Scamper right in heaven...
View attachment 1786741
i want you all to join in with me down in Melbourne right now, and a one and a two...
i will be dancing on his grave next time i am out there (while playing the club song).

Coach Sissy Rose (my Little dachsador girl)
resized_20210507_204521-jpeg.1361219

barks the following....

F*** the naysayers!

Was watching it with my 4 and 2 yo girl and boy both were very excited and both sang the song with gusto.
My daughter was so happy as she’s been asking me a lot this year “when are we going to win Daddy?”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We actually need Kolby McKercher more than Reid. I have never been more obsessed with a player’s outside carry, disposal and hunger for the sport. He’s so natural. I know Ried is an incredible utility and multiple players in one, but you need to build top notch role players first. Of course I’d take Reid, but ending up with picks 2 and 3 is so fine with me. McKercher, Watson, get the GC pick and take OSullivan. Something like that. Take Curtin if WC don’t play ball. It’s a funny year, we could do with every one of the projected top 5.

We really needed to know we can win and we did that. The boys walk away holding their heads up. If the club really wants Reid, we can get him. We have the the picks to make it happen.

Nice username. Scientists fan?

Was watching it with my 4 and 2 yo girl and boy both were very excited and both sang the song with gusto.
My daughter was so happy as she’s been asking me a lot this year “when are we going to win Daddy?”

You read this and think No 5 is going to be an emotional win for the youngsters who held on and us Grumpy Olds who are starting to wonder if we will get to see another one in these dark days.

1930-1975…as a kid it feels like forever…35 years

1990-2025….35 years

1999….(?)

Hmmmm…🧐

Haven't posted on here for a long time, been watching the games and then moving on very quickly, no point wasting my time and dwelling on losses, simply better things to do.

To be blunt, I was pro-tank. Losing was the worse outcome. As the game progressed I began to remember why I watched footy, I was having a lot of fun. There was a patch from the 10th minute mark of the 2nd to the 20th minute mark of the 3rd where we kicked 11 of the next 13 goals. We were genuinely playing very good footy. In the previous 5 weeks heading into this week we were in positions to win all of those games and it was a lot better than just getting smacked in the face for 4 straight quarters, standing 0 chance like last year. This win I think helps with the confidence and I hope it leads to us shutting out more games with a decent margin rather than falling over the line.

* tanking, as my profile name states I think we can Pick 1 isn't the messiah.

Hey guys, pardon the intrusion. I just wanted to say congrats on the win, and well done on going out on a high.

I was really impressed you guys chose to do this rather than tank for P1. I think it was really important and you might look back on that game as a turning point.

As good as Reid could of been - culture, morale, environment, positivity etc is far more important. Winning is more important than any pick IMO.

It's a sign your club is ready to turn things around.

Super impressive and all the best for 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back