Strategy We need a key forward

WHOS OUR FF SOLUTION?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lynch, Gibcus and Kosi forward would be interesting. Lynch deep, the other two on the move up the ground.
Kosi a bit more physical and Gibcus the class.
Ryan is essentially a ruckman, Gawn style more than English who was always very athletic and moves more like a forward.

Kosi looks anything but physical.
Biggest knock on him from Hawks fans I know is his 'failure to present as an option'.

Biggest knock on him from Hawks fans I know is his 'failure to present as an option'.

I’m reluctant to give up on a 23 year old tall.

Right system, right coaching and he could be a player. We just need him to play his role. Be that second tall option and provide a contest, move to create space and hopefully kick over 25 goals for the season.

He’s gonna cost very little. To me, it’s a smart get.

Right system, right coaching and he could be a player. We just need him to play his role. Be that second tall option and provide a contest, move to create space and hopefully kick over 25 goals for the season.

Agree. I suspect he may be used down back. He spent a fair bit of his Juniors as a key Defender. Was recruited as a key defender. Rutten will take him under his wing. Then Balta possibly goes forward.

I'm pretty bullish on Ryan, more as a ruck-forward option though

Kozi will help a lot imo. just need to play his role make a contest, I'm pretty sure he will offer more than Riewoldt did this year & that's not to disrespect Jack but I thought he has been done for a couple of years.

I'm pretty bullish on Ryan, more as a ruck-forward option though

Kozi will help a lot imo. just need to play his role make a contest, I'm pretty sure he will offer more than Riewoldt did this year & that's not to disrespect Jack but I thought he has been done for a couple of years.
So you're saying he will be better than Jack as he has been cooked for a while now? Very interesting so I expect 30 t0 50 goal season's wonderful can't wait :oops:

So you're saying he will be better than Jack as he has been cooked for a while now? Very interesting so I expect 30 t0 50 goal season's wonderful can't wait :oops:
I think he will create more goals than Jack this year is probably the better way to word it, I expect him to kick at least 30 goals himself if he plays a full season in the team.

Pies just won a flag off the back of no real traditional key fwd. Melbourne won a flag with Ben brown as key fwd. We won a flag in 17 with Jack and a bunch of dwarves.

We are better off making sure the game plan is correct and suring up our defence.

Lynch, kosi, Sampson and Bauer are more than adequate at the moment and then once Dusty’s money isn’t on the books we can look at a lynch replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was mainly in reference to Miller, a bit more physical which wouldn't be hard. He is mobile and he goes for his marks, might not be a champ, but we just need someone who presents. Doesn't have to be Mihocek in that regard, but in tandom with someone like Bauer or Gibcus it is a whole lot better than what we had this year.

Brown over Van Rooyen was a blunder. Everyone could see we needed a tall forward.
Agree, remember watching it and thinking what are they doing... Then having Van Rooyen kick goals against us to rub it in. We haven't seen Brown yet at AFL level have we?

Agree, remember watching it and thinking what are they doing... Then having Van Rooyen kick goals against us to rub it in. We haven't seen Brown yet at AFL level have we?
Played round 24. Could end up being a good player, but we really needed a key forward

Will have Lynch to learn from for a few years yet. Couldn't ask for a better forward to model his game on.

If we don't have a key forward then we find one from the team and/or change our game plan to suit the strengths of the players we do have. It worked in 2017 when we played a very small forwardline and it can work again moving forward.

I think Lynch will be back with the support of Kozi but if he's not, I'd rather play players who are performing than just gift games to plodders because they fit the measurements of typical players from that set position.

Last edited:
I'm not listening to trade radio or anything (life is too short), however apparently Cal Twomey is reporting that Hawthorn is driving are a very hard bargain regarding Jacob Koschitzke. Even people like myself who don't rate him or have zero expectations of what he can deliver can live with him coming for a third or fourth. However, can we all agree that our 2nd should under no circumstances be on the table. Pluck someone out of a state league if we have to, but we have already done our quota of trade overs this year with Hopper. I know it's early days but if a second is what is needed to prise him out of Hawthorn, let them keep him.

It was mainly in reference to Miller, a bit more physical which wouldn't be hard. He is mobile and he goes for his marks, might not be a champ, but we just need someone who presents. Doesn't have to be Mihocek in that regard, but in tandom with someone like Bauer or Gibcus it is a whole lot better than what we had this year.
At the start of the season our forwards were doing training drills where the tall forwards were not trying to mark but were tapping the ball to ground. This was clearly a Hardwick game plan which Miller tried to execute throughout the season. Hopefully Yze will let him train as a genuine key forward or key back

Back