Media Monday Night: Talking Qooty Episode 15 with Noobz0r

Remove this Banner Ad

Danoz: Welcome to the couch Karnezis_13. I want to start off by asking how you've coped personally, as a leadership group and as a team with all the heart breaking losses this season.

Karny: I've actually taken it upon myself to PM okeydoke7 about the matches finishing ten minutes into the last quarter. I reckon we'd be up there with Coney and the Gumbies on wins, quite easily, and it's good for the league to have the Hawks up and about. If he doesn't accept that completely logical and reasoned proposal then I'll begin the campaign for his removal, with eaglesfan99 his successor. At least he'll listen to me.

In all seriousness, it's become quite humorous by this point; constantly going down in the last quarter by a matter of 1 point, 2 points; it's a weekly ritual! I suppose it's going to galvanise the group in the long-term, and on the bright side, at least our percentage is remaining respectable. We're still just a win out of the eight and over the remainder of the season we've probably adjusted our aim to trying to claim an elimination final at home, a 5th or 6th position finish, if not scraping into a qualifier by grabbing 4th. There's a lot of season to play.

Personally I take it fairly lightly, as a leadership group we take it lightly, as a team I think we have a laugh about it during the week. Surprisingly the opposition have barely mentioned it as ammunition if at all, so I suppose they don't do their research like you do Danoz!

Danoz: You took on a big role leading into this season, and tried and failed to recruit any big names to the Hawks over the break. How do you feel about the way the Hawks are travelling currently off field?

Karny: You certainly have done your research! There were three pretty big names I attempted to court over the off-season, obviously none panned out the way I would've liked to, but I'll approach a few more as this season draws to a close and hopefully the Hawks can grab the big name which would compliment us so.

Quite honestly, our off-season output was a possibility to be a flop this season. There would've always been the Hawks core; I'm talking IMS, Mr Eagle, Dagless, Tarks; but there was potential that no rookies would come on and we'd suffer a down season. It's been so far from that. Clint Beastwood and Rendered Unsafe have been absolute godsends, they've had fantastic off-field seasons so far. larrikin has absolutely wound back the clock the last month or so both on and off the field. We've got two rising stars in Captain Awkward and scaryness, I don't want to go through and just list the entire team but those five have been really good for the team. In bombersno1 who played his second game this week we could have another rookie coming into his own.

In summary, I guess the rise of those I listed above have allowed the Hawks to not only dodge a bullet in some ways but more than compensate for the departure of bomberlegend2007 and Chezzalenko Reborn, where the former was great for us last season and the latter had been a great clubman for a long time at East Side.

I don't want to bring posting stats into it too much but we're averaging 14 posters a match thread and 220 posts a match, that's more than 30 posts a day; you can't ask for much more than that. We're never going to be a team of spammers but I like to think our match threads are enjoyable for opposition.

TFB: Is that why it was easier to send Atley on his way?

Karny: That and the fact that he was suspended from BigFooty permanently. :p

Danoz: How are you coping with the captaincy at the moment?

Karny: Good question, I love talking about myself.

Pretty fine. Not a whole lot has changed, partly because I was already taking on a fair bit around the club, partly because the leadership group I've got to bounce off is one of the more experienced in the league.

The only thing I may struggle with from time to time is consistent activity, but that's been a problem of mine for all my time in the league bar the end of S15/S15 offseason where I was a ridiculously active, irritating and spamtastic schoolkid.

Captaincy's fun in all. I'm glad I took it on. Having said that, I certainly won't be in the job for long. I'm already searching for a successor and I've been in the job for what three, four months?

Danoz: Why are you searching for a successor already?

Karny: I'm led to believe that in much the same way that a baker bakes and an alligator alligates, a successor brings success.

TFB: Do I smell retirement?

Karny: Tough one. I love the league and what it is but no doubt the day will come soon where I simply don't have time for it. I've got a couple of obligations I need to see out, the primary one is to leave the Hawks captaincy with the club in an even better position than when I entered it, but once they're ticked off, I may ride away into the sunset. We'll see.

TFB: Will the top job be handed back to IMS?

Karny: Tone it down Freshy! I'm not giving it up so soon that speculation can be begun on who would take the job. The circumstances under which I leave the role are pretty clear to me. There must be a) a club that's even better than when I took over and b) I'm going through the motions in the role. It may be three seasons before that's fulfilled, it may be the end of this season, who knows.

Danoz: So tell us a little more about your noobs. What do you like about them, what can they do better?

Karny: My second favourite subject.

Rendered Unsafe is getting to a stage where he's not really considered a noob anymore, having played a season of Qooty. His match thread posting and dedication to the team is probably his best trait, he's first to jump to the defence of a teammate in a match thread. If I had to pick anything to improve about Rendered it might be to get into the rest of the forum a bit more, he could shine.

Clint Beastwood adds a great element to our match threads. He's really got into the spirit of the league and can take the piss out of himself as quickly as he can anyone else. A genuinely funny quality poster who will probably be a leader of the Hawks in the future. I don't want to repeat the same 'something they can do better' but Clint would definitely benefit from getting into the media side of the league, getting into the whole forum a bit. Would be leading our most improved award and I can say he's not doing too badly in the MVP side of things.

Captain Awkward is probably the funniest of the bunch. Doesn't post as much as the others but gets me laughing on a consistent basis, which is exactly what I wanted to get him to the Hawks for. As far as improvement goes, I guess he could get into match threads more, but he's been a very good recruit.

scaryness is one of the newest guys but has been getting into the banter more and more each week and is by no means out of his depth like some rookies are when they first enter. Has held his own and his improvement on and off the field has been good to watch. I also love his name. His improvement would be to stop nicking my pre-game fairy bread!

bombersno1 is the newest of the bunch. He only made his debut two matches ago but played well and got into the match thread. Will be a good player for us.

Finally TheMidRunner who kicked the season off beautifully, particularly with his stats work in the match threads. Was quite a boom rookie early on. My only advice to him would be to make sure he reads all his posts thoroughly before he posts them; I think he learnt that from the hotdog stand though. :p

Danoz: We all know you we're pretty close to the Warriors bid, and put in a lot of hard work to get them over the line. How close were you to joining and why didn't you?

Karny: Very close, to be honest with you. I was a signed and sealed Warrior early in the bid, early S17, before gradually coming to the realisation that I did not want to leave the Hawks. After I left the bid, a number of star players we had also vacated for their own personal reasons; I was also very close to jumping back on board then. Especially when BoshtrichBurger left.

I made the decision to stick with the Hawks and I'm glad I did it. I'm loving this season at East Side but I'm also loving watching the progression of the Warriors from afar. They're certainly a second team, pushing the Roys back to third, and the work I devoted to that side during all of the first bid and during the second bid until FR took over means I don't think I'll lose touch with them. Boshtrich and Franky are always trying to drag me back but as I keep saying, there's unfinished work at East Side, and I'm sticking around, but who knows what will happen in the distant future.

There was a real star bid assembled there at one point. These days I wonder if the rookie approach is turning out even better. Posters like BigJoeD and invinciBlues are fantastic.

In summary of my way tl;dr answers which read more like a bad translation than correct use of the English language, I was at a cross-roads at the end of S17 where I had to decide between the Hawks or Warriors, and I chose the Hawks. I was pretty close.

Danoz: You said earlier that you may think about leaving in the near future. Is it likely you will have a stint at the Warriors prior to retirement?

Karny: I said nowhere that I may think about leaving in the near future, you're twisting my words like a pretzel! :D Towards the end of my career, I may cut some oranges for the orange folk. We'll see.

I used to say that I wanted to have a quick stint at the Roys before I retire too, so things change. Kinda. It's going to take some special circumstances to entice me from the Hawks; I've chosen us over many enticing offers before; but if I was to depart, then yes, the Warriors would be a romantic notion.

Danoz: Appreciate your time Karny, TheFreshBanana and I have had a blast.

Karny: Thanks for the interview guys. Hope I supplied enough intrigue. Shout out to The Half Back who's been complaining he never gets interviewed so that now he features in one.

Danoz: Well that's all from us, until next week we bid you adieu.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome to the eleventh edition of Talking Qooty. I'm your host Danoz, and with me as always is TheFreshBanana.

TFB: Hi.

Danoz: Hi fitzroybulldog. Would you care to join the crew on the couch?

FB: Oh YES!! I've been waiting for someone to ask me for an interview, for anything really. I think this means I've made it........now i'd like to announce my retirement. Kidding. But yes, love to join you on the couch.

Danoz: I'd like to know how you expect the Roys to cope over the coming seasons since you seem to not be able to attract new talent at the moment?

FB: Honestly I think we will be perfectly fine, And one season does not a bad team make. I'm still relatively new here, a veteran of 2 and half seasons (just 2 if your count my disappearance in the second half of my first season), but even in that short amount of time I've seen the cycle of the SFA. Teams peak and trough, activity wise, but with little adjustments things change. I was the one of two rookies at the Roys in my first year, the year before there was a considerable influx with Cheetah, Dicky Fitzwell, the silent but deadly icefreak and the EKA winner pantskyle, last year we had Wonna and the influx that followed him. Sadly after his disappearance a number of his recruits followed/went walkabout to, which happens. Thankfully Volta, who joined us midway though the season, is progressing wonderfully and really adds to the dynamic at the Roys, and we also acquired Mooch who is simply just brilliant. This year Flat Chat and brettman135 are our rookies, who are still finding their feet, and this is a daunting year to join, with so many rookies coming in this year, it'd be an intimidating place. We've also added Chezzalenko Reborn, who has slotted in beautifully.

Looking back at our history we've never been a big recruiting team, with one or two key additions a season, and unless things get desperate, which is unlikely, I can't see that changing.

Personally it was more about the retirements we've had that have effected us the most, how does a team replace captains Broken and Mobbenfuhrer (yes he still floats around but we rarely let him out of the basement), Freakie has got big things in RL that's led to him scaling back his posting and also pants to the bears. That's 4 Elite SFA players right there, who are always going to be hard to replace, not only for what they didn't on the qooty field, but what they did off it. This is where outsiders get the idea that we are struggling. Take 4 of the top 5 posters out of any team and see what happens.

Danoz: So what has happened? Your activity has gone from the most active team, 20+ posters most weeks (as Mobbs was always happy to point out) to ~10 posters in total. Is it just all an unlucky coincidence? Or is there more to it?

FB: My activity has stayed about the same in comparison to last years, i've always been about 50+ thread post player. Last year started off in a massive way, I was shocked at the activity rate, with about 20 posters per match, but that waned after Wonna left, and we dipped to about 15 - 17, with a few token posters. Take 4 out key players out, add a couple of new recruits and we get about our average this year which has been 12-13 posters. Last week with 10 was a bit disappointing, but it happens.

I think you're missing something that's a tad more important than actual number of posters and posts, and that the enjoyment of the match threads. Everyone still loves playing the Roys, we have an amazing core group of players, and i am yet (Uncle_Leo aside) to hear anyone complain we provided a s**t thread. I'd much rather have 10 posters at the Roys and have everyone involved from both sides have an amazing time, than 20 posters at the Roys and both teams label the thread a waste of time and space. Quality, not quantity.

Danoz: So overall do you think you're in a better position now than last year, or worse, posting wise?

FB: I'd go for different. Last year we were lambasted for being spammy but it evened itself out as the year progressed. This year our dynamic has obviously changed with players changes, but it's definitely not worse. Numbers may be down, but the quality isn't. Well not that i think anyway.

We've got a fantastically talented core, and i think it shows. Hopefully we will see some natural growth out of players, which will further shift our dynamic.

Roys players do their own thing, and we go about it our own way. The SFA running joke is that we're old and so on, and in SFA terms we do have a lot of experienced campaigners (campaigners in the literal sense of the word, not the SFA sense of the word) who started their career when threads weren't hundreds of posts long. We've got a talented old guard that, who may not put up numbers compared to some other teams, but do such great things with only a couple of posts, They have an understanding that why do something mediocre in 40 posts, when you can do something well in 10. or 5.

Obviously not everyone will agree with me, or the Roys style, but until i hear complaints internally and externally, i'm not worried at all. Teams enjoy bantering with us, when that stops happening, then that's when we will have to have a good hard look at ourselves.

Danoz: So with most of the old guard moving on, who do you look to for support within your ranks?

FB: If I have a question or issue to raise I turn to Reardo or Fred, even Mobbs (cause he's not going anywhere), they've been around here enough to understand the ins and outs of this place. They've probably forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Aside from that I'm a firm believer that the other Roys will do as much as the can. I want players to want to be here, not feel obliged or pressured. I'm not much of a fan of pestering players to do things, but there will always be someone that will put up there hand if it's needed.

TFB: 2 seasons into the SFA, no leadership aspirations?

FB: Not particularly, well not yet anyway. My first season i went missing in the second half, last season i disappeared in the middle for a few round. Mobbs was actually going to promote me into the leadership group early last year, but decided against it after i went walkabout, but i ended up being brought in late in the season. I wanted to focus on my own time here in the SFA, making sure i was doing my best before igniting any leadership aspirations. I'd do anything i can for the Roys, and i think i'm having a good season working with that mentality. I'm trying to set a good example and keep spirits and interest up, but if they wanted me do other things, i'd do them too.

Danoz: So how do you feel you're going on field this season? What areas are you focusing on at training at the moment?

FB: There is room for improvement, always is. Our best is unstoppable, but we don't seem hit as much we like. But I'm one of those annoying bastards that is always trying to get that little bit better. Our hospitality had improved, we've opened up a few more food stalls and alcohol troughs which seem to be going down a treat.

We all have personalized training plans at the Roys, so while I might be working with Volta on tackling practice, Roylion and Mobbs may be just punching stuff to improve their spoiling, Fred usually just paces around the goal square and stuff like that. We work towards our own skill sets. A couple of time a week we will get together for a slow walk around the track, talk tactics, and organise whose doing the dishes for the week. Wayne Jorgensen is very hands off, which we like, but can get a bit feral if we don't get things done. As a unit we are all aware that 3 quarters doesn't win you a match, unless its against the Wonders, so no matter what we are doing were all working towards a full 4 quarter effort.

Danoz: What is your favourite moment of this season so far?

FB: That's tough, it's been a very enjoyable season, nothing really stands out though. The Bears match was great fun, and Broken popped his head in to say hello, which was a nice surprise. I've actually really enjoyed seeing the progression of some players around the league making the jump from regular posters to leading posters in the SFA, like Wacky Tiger, yourself Danoz, and bomberlegend2007 just to name a couple. And some new rookies taking the league by the scruff of the neck This Is Anfield , NathanMJ_WB54, brahj and the Warrior clan. It's been a transitional but exciting season for the league.

Danoz: Thanks for joining us FB, I'll finish by asking for your tips for the weekend.

FB: Gold City Royals vs Baghdad Bombers at The Golden Throne
Coney Island Warriors vs Dragons FFC at Van Cortlandt Park (MOTR) Draw
East Side Hawks vs Alberton Swamprats at Waverley Park

It's been a pleasure, I hope i didn't kill your readership and put everyone into a coma.

Danoz: Haha no I'm sure not :D

Hang on, do we even have any readers?

Well anyway, TheFreshBanana and I hope you enjoyed catching up with fitzroybulldog, we certainly did. Until next week, we bid you adieu.

:hearts:'s fitzroybulldog and look out The Half Back you now have some competition for my heart ;)

Not sure im anywhere near a leading poster but nice to get a lil pat on the back

:hearts:'s fitzroybulldog and look out The Half Back you now have some competition for my heart ;)

Not sure im anywhere near a leading poster but nice to get a lil pat on the back
You got that one right, love evil me.
images

Young Warriors Face Colossal Expectations
TheFreshBanana

During a recent interview with the Warriors captain, Frankston Rover, on Talking Qooty, FR came out with a bold statement claiming that the Warriors are “arguably one of the strongest posting sides in the league”.

It's unclear where FR is basing such a statement on, considering the real season doesn't begin for another 13 days, and any such competition with the word “cup” in it, isn't going to be a true reflection of each team's posting calibre for the upcoming season. It didn't stop there, he went on to further reiterate statements that players such as Haduken, invinciBLUES, BigJoeD, Lord Flashheart and zackah were capable of becoming future Hall of Famers, and even favourites for the EKA. This will no doubt place a heavy spotlight, and burden, on these individual rookies, to not only meet their captains expectations, but also to carry their side to become “one of the strongest posting sides in the league”. And they surely will have to carry the brunt of the posting load this season, considering their VC, Sydney Bloods, wasn't a feature on any of Gee Dub's or Gentlemen's top 50, and eaglesfan99 and thetradesman managing to poll 25% of the votes as the worst poster in the league for S17 (with thetradesman on 23%).

Is it possible for a team of rookies to really be considered in an argument discussing the strongest posting sides in the league? We'll just have to wait and see.

Just revisiting this, TheFreshBanana.

Top posting side? We'd have to be very close.
EKA Medallist? We'd have 6-8 blokes who are a shot at it.
Future HoF? I'll name invinciBlues, BigJoeD, zackah and Mr_Smooth as my personal picks for the time capsule.

Looking forward to your comments. ;)

Just revisiting this, TheFreshBanana.

Top posting side? We'd have to be very close.
EKA Medallist? We'd have 6-8 blokes who are a shot at it.
Future HoF? I'll name invinciBlues, BigJoeD, zackah and Mr_Smooth as my personal picks for the time capsule.

Looking forward to your comments. ;)
I feel sorry for Haduken.

But then again, months have passed and a player has gone from capable of becoming a HoFer to not at all, which is no surprise to me.

I feel sorry for Haduken.

But then again, months have passed and a player has gone from capable of becoming a HoFer to not at all, which is no surprise to me.

Given he's had some RL issues and has already spoken to me about it, I don't see it being a huge issue. If he can get his posting back up, he'll be a shot but I also think others have overtaken him.

It's nice that you focus on the negatives though, rather than the positives.

I guess admitting you're wrong isn't who you are...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back