Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

What are your thoughts on single arm db upright row?
Most people say bb upright row isn't good so I haven't tried it myself. But I've done the db upright row a few times now and it feels quite good.

Had a bit of a argument going on with my mates earlier
They seem to think that fat people are stronger because of some kind of "leverage" they have....
We were talking about bench press.....how the **** does being fat make you lift more ?
I can understand something like shot put it being an advantage but seriously....they are dumb ****s right ?
If you've got an extra 3-4 inches of fat on your chest, your starting point is 4 inches higher, that's 4 inches less range of motion you're going through... compared to someone with a spade chest, they'll be able to lift more weight.

Does it make their muscles stronger, no.

Anyone got any thoughts on front vs back squats?

Been doing front for a few weeks and liking them much better, my shoulder don't seem to like being in the back squat position.

Any disadvantages for them?

What does bigfooty use/prefer?

both are fine, if your shoulders don't back squats (a common problem) then front squats are fine

if you don't have the shoulder nobility to do squats then of course they'll be done improper but continuing to squat won't solve the problem, it will only make it worse

never done a front squat. can you get in as much as weight doing them as a back squat?? seems to me like it would be very hard too, but having never tried maybe you can....

if you don't have the shoulder nobility to do squats then of course they'll be done improper but continuing to squat won't solve the problem, it will only make it worse

Sure. But how do you know he doesn't have the required mobility? He may just be positioning it wrongly. It's a pretty common mistake. Hence the video.

I didn't know you were not supposed to put your thumb around the bar. I imagine it may be a common mistake.

Had my first workout in my newly setup garage gym today - feels good man.

No *******s (other than myself), loud music, screaming out reps, no packing up the weights, etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a good leg session this morning. I didn't up the weight from last weeks squats as i was a bit slow during reps last week. This morning they went up pretty easily and got through my 3 x 6 x 127.5kg work sets.

As they felt light, i upped the weight of my widowmaker (that i do as a 4th work set) and hit a goal that i've been aiming for for a while. 20 x 100kg!! Almost didn't make the last rep, but didn't want to give up at 19 and pushed through it. Very happy that i made it! I guess next goal 20 x 110?

Had my first workout in my newly setup garage gym today - feels good man.

No ****wits (other than myself), loud music, screaming out reps, no packing up the weights, etc
yeah, it's the way to go.

Hey does anyone else get into watching the Hodgetwins on Youtube. Bloody funny bro-science kinda channel. I find it addictive.

Still just trying to understand that TSF7 type training. So my understanding is you do 3-4 sets usual on say bench 8-12 reps than after that hit the pec deck/flys for example and smash out 7 sets. What sort of rest does this involve?

FST-7 - fascia stretching training

i'm sure i put a template of it somewhere...

main exercise for strength focused so 3 - 6 (maybe 8) depending on the exercise then either another exercise for traditional sets/reps (3 - 4 x 8 - 12) and/or 7 x 8 - 12 w/ 30 - 45secs

i'd just do 1 for strength then 1 for fst

Re: Weight Training: Building Muscle

Yeah, leg work is essential fellas. The longer you go without doing them the further they will lag behind...

Plenty of strength comes from leg work also, building your core and increasing your lifts all round.

I do upper body weightlifting three days per week, but nothing for the legs. However, I cycle and do a shedload of running for footy three times per week (2 training days, 1 game day). Is this enough?

I do upper body weightlifting three days per week, but nothing for the legs. However, I cycle and do a shedload of running for footy three times per week (2 training days, 1 game day). Is this enough?
You're definitely giving your legs the aerobic training required for footy, but try to incorporate weight training into your gym sessions too. This will particularly help with strength and power in contests and really complement core strength well. Not to mention improving your speed and lactic acid tolerance - very important when you increase your running intensity for whatever reason (i.e. chasing opponent or ball, running away with ball). Weight training for your legs will also assist with overcoming fatigue late in a game of footy. Increased muscle size, power and strength will help you exert more force around contests and stoppages.

Remember to vary the number of sets and reps you do so that many components can be trained. For example, high weight low reps for strengths and low weight, mid-range reps and explosive motion for power. Exercises include barbell squats, leg presses on a resistance machine, leg extensions (machine), leg curls (machine), barbell lunges and deadlifts.

Here is my leg workout schedule:

Exercise Sets Reps
Barbell squats 7 20,15,10,8,6,4,2

Leg presses 4 50,25,15,8

Leg extensions 6-7 20

Leg curl 3 10

Barbell lunges 2-3 12-15 (every other session)

Deadlifts 6 5,5,5,3,1,1 (every other session)

Standing toe raise on machine 5 15

EDIT: the first number represents sets, the second set of numbers represent reps (it looks a bit messy, sorry about that).

Notice how I work out muscular endurance, strength and power all in the same session. Plus some mid-range reps for hypertrophy (don't want to look puny on the footy field haha).

That's a lot of leg work during the season.

Re Sebastian Balboa Yes, you should be doing legs still, you should definitely stay away from that workout though if you haven't trained legs in some time.
Sorry I should have mentioned that it was my pre-season legs workout, which I do 5 times a fortnight. I taper it down to more specific exercises during the season otherwise recovery would be too difficult. And yeah probably not an appropriate beginners' workout, just a demonstration of how different fitness components should be targeted and different exercise types.

Thanks fellas, much appreciated.
I'll take some of that, modify it down given we're halfway through the season.
Will look to incorporate a fair bit of that after footy season, and after about a month off from everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back