Weight Training: Functional Strength

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Optimal Exercises and Optimal Techniques for Muscle Gains

for healthy shoulders you're better off just sticking with chins and front pull ups

the behind the ehad sort put you right in the impingement zone

exactly, you can't engage the back muscles without the lean back as your shoulders will round forward at the bottom

same

it's puts the shoulder in abduction and external rotation, i.e the "impingement zone"

everyone has impingement to some degree with some being asymptomatic and some not, by by staying out of it taking all the risk out of it by doing pulldowns to the front, you'll be right

Re: Protein & Other Supplements

Form check?

I know I'm weak but i'm getting there.

hard to see when your nuts are in the way but here are some pointers:

1 - get your set up right, if this isn't right then you can't fix it half way through the set...before you even touch the bar squeeze your shoulder baldes in together and down towards your feet which will puff your chest up a little...there should be a normal lower back arch too but nothing more then your normal posture...next set your thighs at about a 30 - 45 degree angle from the hips with feet in the same plane

2 - now you can touch the bar...obviuosly grip width can shift the emphasise of the lift SLIGHTLY" but the grip you go to without thinking will probably be your strongest one...that being said, instead of worrying about where your hands are, think about where your elbows are when the bar is on your chest...they should be asbout 45 degrees out from the torso which also means that your elbows have not flared out to the side, they should be kept in the same plane as the shoulder blades which have stayed tucked in and down from point 1

3 - when your lowering the bar it is essential to resist it through your upper back which gives you a platform to push off in the concentric phase...from the vid you lack a lot of upper back strength as it simply drops and you have to turn artound around force at the bottom to during transition...think of me dropping a 10kg wt from 5cms into hands, you could catch it easily...now if i dropped it from 1m, you'd have a much harder time catching it without your arms dropping...now think of a bench wt...yep shithouse for your shoulders

4 - lastly if your doing it properly it should be a full lift...if your core is good enough you should develop power from it that goes down to the feet, into the floor, back into the feet up through the core and into the upper body...if your core can't transmit force up, down, and all the way back up again then you'll struggle big time

the left shoulder/lat and left hip/glute work in tandom (and vice versa) so if you're squeezing your glutes for chin/pull ups such as squeezing a swissball up behind you into your arse, you'll be stronger...if your not then you need more glute work

Chin up for Jumping higher/Running faster?

Can you explain this a little cptkirk? Just a little confused...

Chin up for Jumping higher/Running faster?

Can you explain this a little cptkirk? Just a little confused...
My 2 cents: compound movements will help with the "excess fat" and stimulate the endocrine system to increase the production of testosterone to make the football training more effective as well.

In the military chin-ups are done to max, then assisted (someone else puts hand on the knee and the other on the lower back to help the person get their chin up to the bar, like the weight-assist machines most gyms have) which would help him improve his output.

chin ups train relative strength (bw to strength ratio)

for jumping you have to overcome you're own bodyweight...the more chin ups or the more wt you can add to yourself for chin ups reps, the more relative strength you have

you can only load jumps a little bit without risking a back compression injury so to see if you're on the right track, chin ups is the best to exercise for it upper body wise

of course they won't directly increase your leap, that's what the deads, squats and lunges will do

just realised whomb talking about the pec problem. i had it in the same area but it went away after less than a week and a bit. was just from going really deep on dips and flys. i remmeber you saying you do pullovers as well, that used to niggle too much so i havn't done pullovers in ages
Turns out it stemmed from a hip misalignment, which caused particular parts of my body to carry more load than others.

the opposite hip?
:eek: I can't actually remember which side it is now.

A neuromuscular therapist picked up on it, and we discovered that it was causing my right side to carry all of the load, resulting in my left shoulder rounding forward and the front delt, as well as the pec mnior, to carry too much of the load.

I've corrected it a fair bit, but as a result haven't been allowed to lift any weights for over 2 weeks now. I'm already noticing the size difference. Hating it. I'm not to get back to 100% intensity for another 6 weeks, either. Bollocks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Quick couple questions regarding weight training

the chest doesn't have 5 parts or functions on it's own, why does it need 5 exercises?

it doesn't

do heavy bench 1 session and then a db variation for higher reps another day and push ups for even higher reps on a 3rd day maybe but no more then that

i'n not sold on surgery myself either

my suggestions:

1 - if you're not already, activate your glutes multiple times daily and get into them in the wt room...they are the strongest muscle in the body so if there not doing their share then it's lot of stress moves to other smaller and weaker muscles...the best way is to stretch the hip flexors/quads x 30secs each then use a simple bodyweight exercise for the glutes like a supine bridge, side lying clam, kneeling squat or pelvic tilt

2 - there's no rules that says you have to deadlift from the floor...i too have some SI joint problems that seem behind me now but i'm only just getting back to deadlifting of the floor...for about 18months i deadlifted off pins from a mid shin type height...you're not going to lose anything from shortening the range of motion a little but you'll still get all the benefits deads provide

3 - deload your training if your not already, every 4 weeks (3 hard, 1 easy)

4 - overall i think you need to think about your future a little more and be a little proactive with correcting and/or prehabing a few of your issues...it's no fun trying play with your kids when you can't bend over or put your arms over your head and physio isn't even really needed, just a little discipline with some daily exercises and warm ups

i'n not sold on surgery myself either

my suggestions:

1 - if you're not already, activate your glutes multiple times daily and get into them in the wt room...they are the strongest muscle in the body so if there not doing their share then it's lot of stress moves to other smaller and weaker muscles...the best way is to stretch the hip flexors/quads x 30secs each then use a simple bodyweight exercise for the glutes like a supine bridge, side lying clam, kneeling squat or pelvic tilt

2 - there's no rules that says you have to deadlift from the floor...i too have some SI joint problems that seem behind me now but i'm only just getting back to deadlifting of the floor...for about 18months i deadlifted off pins from a mid shin type height...you're not going to lose anything from shortening the range of motion a little but you'll still get all the benefits deads provide

3 - deload your training if your not already, every 4 weeks (3 hard, 1 easy)

4 - overall i think you need to think about your future a little more and be a little proactive with correcting and/or prehabing a few of your issues...it's no fun trying play with your kids when you can't bend over or put your arms over your head and physio isn't even really needed, just a little discipline with some daily exercises and warm ups

Yeah i'm a bit gung-ho or old school in the gym. Basically i treat my muscles as if my brain is a toffee nose English officer and my muscles are the infantry. Rightio lads over the top we go, chop chop tally ho, bring me back some german sausage won't you! I walk in, do about 5 seconds of stretching (usually rear delt stretches) and then up and over i go. Old habits die hard...

Re: Weight Training: Bodybuilding

Not sure if this has been covered (don't recall it), but what are the best exercises to build forearm & grip strength?

I'm at the point where I cannot progress deadlifts any further simply due to grip. Unfortunately I have long hands as well - at & above 130kgs the bar is basically being held by four fingers with the thumb unable to hold on - it reduces reps at 130kgs as well. I deload the bar between each rep and slightly "re-grip" but am still struggling.

same problem for me except i have the worlds tiniest hands...

- fat bar exercises or simply wrap around the bar and do some holds or walks with it
- plate pinching on the smooth sides
- gripper/captains of crush

to name a few

Ah fat grips, that sounds like an easy solution to include in other exercises (will try calf raises on Thrusday with a handtowel around each dumbell). Cheers.

Plate pinching = holding the plate from the top for periods of time? Sounds more like a finger strength exercise (which would be useful too).

Not sure if this has been covered (don't recall it), but what are the best exercises to build forearm & grip strength?

I've found seated forearm curls with a barbell or dumbbells and good old fashioned hand grippers both work well for increasing grip and forearm strength.

I'm at the point where I cannot progress deadlifts any further simply due to grip. Unfortunately I have long hands as well - at & above 130kgs the bar is basically being held by four fingers with the thumb unable to hold on - it reduces reps at 130kgs as well. I deload the bar between each rep and slightly "re-grip" but am still struggling.

Deadlifting itself is a great grip-strengthening exercise. Are you using the alternate grip or the double overhand? The alternate grip is great for heavy weights and keeps the bar from rolling in your hand but the double overhand grip builds the grip strength best/fastest I read somewhere. Try doing all your warmup sets in double overhand reserving the alternate grip for heavy stuff. Straps can cause as many problems as they solve so I would avoid using them..Pull the bar like you would pull a rope or anything else, the bar should be further down near the hooks in your fingers, not in the middle of the hand which will help the rest of the lifting posture as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back