Toast Welcome back, Rough!

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s accepting of the inevitable - that midseason player movement is going to go through the roof in the next few years.
Going to be pretty interesting to see how it works. From what assets (current season & future picks etc.) can be traded, to salary cap considerations.

I believe this to be a well considered and strategic move. A large part of these transactions are based on relationships and knowledge of the market. TD is so right when he says we are well placed with Rough.
Rough is well based in both critical categories. An early win will help him in the industry. We have plenty of cash, desire to make it work, a football dept headed by a bloke who knows how to grow and succeed in a patient and measured way and a senior coach that is very keen on this market but also knows “we need the right people to succeed” in our endeavours.
I seriously believe this is a blueprint the whole competition is going to follow.

Last edited:
If you look up the word 'genuine' in the dictionary then I wouldn't be surprised to see a picture of Roughie right next to it. As you say he'll come into the job with assets ($$$ + draft collateral) but if we really want to help him and make things easier then it all starts with on field success. We need these guys end up begging to come here not the other way around.

To be honest, we're getting a 2 for 1 deal here. A guy who has spent years learning the ropes in recruitment and management - but wont be afraid to get on field on a Thursday morning training session to give a Chol/Lewis a kick up the arse ;)
To do that he'd have to be playing CHB!

FINALLY!!!!!

How much has he learnt working in list management at st kilda? (Noting they also just moved on their list manager). Rough might be a cracking bloke and a favourite son but experience/competence for the actual role has to be a question mark.

How much has he learnt working in list management at st kilda? (Noting they also just moved on their list manager). Rough might be a cracking bloke and a favourite son but experience/competence for the actual role has to be a question mark.
There is always someone!

Experience is huge.

As for the question mark , no one was any good at their job until they had a chance to prove themselves

Do you remember when HFC appointed a reasonably unknown Clarko as coach ?
Most people asked Alastair Who ??

Good luck Rough, glad to have you back in the family

The core competency for the job is interpersonal skills. He is not sizing up potential in school kids. He is engaging with players and managers and selling what our club has to offer if a player moves. The players themselves are mostly known quantities. Our needs have already been identified. Part of his job may be spotting players whose potential is not being realised in their current environment but I would think he has been around long enough to have a feel for who they might be and I don't doubt their managers will also be keen to bring such players to his attention. In short, being a cracking bloke and favourite son will get him a long way in the role.

Hawks people:

“Why can’t we land the big fish?”

“Why aren’t we a destination club?”

“Why don’t these established guns want to come to us in droves?”

Answer:

We don’t sell our club to established players well enough.

Mitchell is there to coach the players we recruit.

McKenzie is there to manage the List and identify new talent to recruit.

So Rough comes in to work on improving the appeal of the club to established players and shmooze those the club identifies as targets we want to land via trade and free agency.

Makes a lot of sense and Roughy doesn’t need to be a gun talent spotter as long as he “plays his role”.

Last edited:
Hawks people:

Answer:

We don’t sell our club to established players well enough.

Mitchell is there to coach the players we recruit.

McKenzie is there to manage the List and identify new talent to recruit.

So Rough comes in to work on improving the appeal of the club established players and shmooze those the club identifies as targets we want to land via trade and free agency.

Makes a lot of sense and Roughy doesn’t need to be a gun talent spotter as long as he “plays his role”.
Devil’s advocate to those saying we should recruit on merit rather than ties to a club…perhaps it could be considered a KSC for the job?

Maybe ties to a club is actually an asset for this kind of role. Come and play at Hawthorn which has a long history of success…let me tell you about the threepeat…let me tell you about Sam Mitchell. Let me tell you about the club culture. Business knowledge, ie Hawthorn knowledge, could be key

Add in that has some experience at St Kilda, add in that he is the best bloke around

This is a slam dunk. Come on

“There was this training session where Cyril, Hodgie and Buddy were hand passing to each other and…”

Happy In Love GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Roughy sit in the Coach's Box on Game Day, in his new role?

Does MM or any of that crew? Do they even attend games or travel with the Team?
Wouldn’t have thought so.

They’re not part of the coaching staff or the match day crew.

He’s not a coach and hasn’t expressed any serious desire to be one either.

Hawks people:

Answer:

We don't get AFL cola money or have acres of land to give away for peanuts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back