List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reubs is pumping out his program down at Dunsborough Oval, looking fit & strong & putting in the miles at a very good pace coming off that surgery.
Looking forward to what he can bring next season & hopefully gets a bit more support (rotation wise not club, he loves it) & a chance to play a few different roles.

Reubs is pumping out his program down at Dunsborough Oval, looking fit & strong & putting in the miles at a very good pace coming off that surgery.
Looking forward to what he can bring next season & hopefully gets a bit more support (rotation wise not club, he loves it) & a chance to play a few different roles.
Hello friend, thanks for stopping by.

Just wanted to let you know that Reuben has been talking sh*t about you.

He's not as strong as he looks. I reckon you could take him.

Seems like a number of folks are starting to get the jitters already because Ginbey as a second-year player isn't cranking out 30-plus disposal performances yet.

Needless to say, we've been down this road before:

Opinion - Elliot Yeo to the midfield​
Analysis - Elliot Yeo 2016​
Analysis - Elliot Yeo?​

Let's not forget that Reuben is still only 19, is already a huge unit with a good tank and perhaps most importantly, is a dedicated workaholic to become the best footballer that he can be.

From where I am looking, he is tracking along just fine.

19 games and just over a season into a career is way to reactionary to put a kid down as a failure but I guess this sorta expectation is what comes when you’re not tracking well. I still remember Shuey and Gaff getting calls to be traded in 2013/14 after the club dropped down the ladder after a sharp rise.

I noticed at times the commentators mentioning Yeo was used as a defensive option at times against Ports guns. If thats the case I rather Ginbey in there doing that and learning off the best.

Duggan being used a lot through the middle annoys me. Yeah I agree we probably need a mature body in the middle but at the end of the day Duggan is hardly a mid and is quite mediocre at best. While TK and Yeo are there you might as well have Ginbey in there with Reid and use the likes of Duggan and Cripps in short bursts as relief.

Sheeds copped s**t but at least his output exponentially better than Gaffs and has versatility in his game where he can go sit at HFF and snag a couple of be a handy outside mid. Which help a lot more in allowing the kids rotate through there.

Reuben was on SEN this morning. Actually a pretty good listen - he’s a well-spoken kid and seems like he’s got a good understanding of the game.

Also gave some insight about his role this year - seems like he’ll play a bit more outside this year to complement his inside game and get the most out of his fitness and skill. Would explain his low CBA numbers on the weekend.

Also hinted that he wasn’t quite at his best on the weekend so we didn’t really get to see the best of him in his new role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought his first half was horrible but was much, much better in the second half.
Thankfully he has good endurance which allows him to become more dominant when other players are struggling.
Needs to be getting more than the 12 disposals, but he's only a 2nd year player and not even remotely near the worst of our current issues.

It's all about role

Let him play on ball and chase the ball

How many of our young players need to struggle before people start thinking it may be a coaching/development issue and not a talent issue?

Lets look at the game we just played. Bailey Williams had the highest number of hitouts, we dominated the clearances and broke even on inside 50's.

Take away that structure to just allow one or a few second year players to cycle through the middle and we're losing by a further 6-8 goals.

I think today might have been the first time I've seen him lose his cool and get aggressive. Even when he was sticking tackles on SPP et al last year, he didn't seem to have any spite in it. He's such a physical specimen, even if he isn't winning the ball I'd like to see him put the fear of God into oppo mids/start enjoying nailing tackles and pushing some heads into the dirt a la Yeo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back