List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not concerned, yet. These is a lot of growth left for his footy smarts and midfield craft. Has the tools, just needs more experience and support around him.

He'll be fine, reminds me of Clayton Oliver, he took a little bit of time to figure how to win more of the footy.

The kid has been the closest thing we have had to a physical presence in the midfield this year, playing with maybe one AFL standard constant in Kelly, in the hardest position in the game at 18!

And he's played every game - a genuine act of God.

Worried? Come on. The boy's basically a T-1000.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if in a couple of years we don't play a few short just to make it a contest.

He'll be fine, reminds me of Clayton Oliver, he took a little bit of time to figure how to win more of the footy.
Not sure that's correct. Clayton Oliver averaged 19 touches in his first year, 29 in his second.

I know it's not panic stations yet, and it's impossible to really know given we are getting flogged with a completely denuded midfield. But, from memory the concern pre draft was that he wasn't a prolific ball winner. Needs to develop that side of the game as we get more senior mids back.

Not sure that's correct. Clayton Oliver averaged 19 touches in his first year, 29 in his second.

I know it's not panic stations yet, and it's impossible to really know given we are getting flogged with a completely denuded midfield. But, from memory the concern pre draft was that he wasn't a prolific ball winner. Needs to develop that side of the game as we get more senior mids back.
Ginbey's time on ground is being restricted to manage him. Is playing 60-70% of game time.

Ginbey's time on ground is being restricted to manage him. Is playing 60-70% of game time.
Ginbey averages more TOG than Oliver did in his first year.

Ginbey has had one game of 20 touches, the others have been 17 and below. That's a long way off what Oliver was doing. Oliver played 13 games and 7 games of 20 touches or more in that first year.

1684892648195.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ginbey has had one game of 20 touches, the others have been 17 and below. That's a long way off what Oliver was doing. Oliver played 13 games and 7 games of 20 touches or more in that first year.

View attachment 1695386

View attachment 1695386
I dunno man, the stats aren’t worlds apart. Similar contested / uncontested ratios and kick / handball ratios.

A bit easier to score a few extra possies when you’ve got your first choice midfielders surrounding you and Max Gawn shoving it down your neck.

The kid’s 18 and has moved from being a defender all his life into rubbing shoulders in the middle with Dangerfield, Petracca, Rowell ect.

Give him a break.

View attachment 1695386

The difference seems to be in handball numbers, which I guess correlates with Oliver's higher clearance numbers as well. For more touches Oliver gained less ground and had less i50s.

I look forward to seeing how Reubs goes with a bit more support around him. At the moment it's the battle of the tag. Can he stop someone better than TK can be stopped.

first 3 rounds ginbey averaged 18 disposals.

after that he has had no one around him to support. the situation of eagles this year cannot be compared.

the kid needs a rest. look at the players he has been coming up against.. it's a lot for a kid who had limited exposure to a inside mid role in previous years.

hes a huge tick in my books.

The kid has been the closest thing we have had to a physical presence in the midfield this year, playing with maybe one AFL standard constant in Kelly, in the hardest position in the game at 18!

And he's played every game - a genuine act of God.

Worried? Come on. The boy's basically a T-1000.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if in a couple of years we don't play a few short just to make it a contest.
thats effen damning for the rest of the experienced midfield "leaders"

While I agree it’d be great if he can develop the offensive side of his game, I think on his athletic profile alone, there’s a lot of be excited about. He’s 18, has had one AFL preseason and is still growing into his frame, but is already imposing himself on guys like SPP. He’ll be monstering opposition mids by the time he’s 22/23.

I dunno man, the stats aren’t worlds apart. Similar contested / uncontested ratios and kick / handball ratios.

A bit easier to score a few extra possies when you’ve got your first choice midfielders surrounding you and Max Gawn shoving it down your neck.

The kid’s 18 and has moved from being a defender all his life into rubbing shoulders in the middle with Dangerfield, Petracca, Rowell ect.

Give him a break.
Just clarifying, i like Ginbey and think he'll be good. From memory the concern pre-draft was his ability to gather possessions.

At this stage, it's something i'd like to see. Don't have any issues with currently as we are dog s**t and he's tired. I'd like to see him get a rest, and then have a decent run in a team more resembling an AFL team with our senior mids back in the second half of the year and see what he can do.

thats effen damning for the rest of the experienced midfield "leaders"

Not really. I mean, we have Gaff, Sheed and Kelly out there. Not exactly who you'd think of when you think of a "physical presence in the midfield".

Those blokes are either injured (Yeo, Nic Nat) or were never drafted to begin with.

Just clarifying, i like Ginbey and think he'll be good. From memory the concern pre-draft was his ability to gather possessions.

At this stage, it's something i'd like to see. Don't have any issues with currently as we are dog s**t and he's tired. I'd like to see him get a rest, and then have a decent run in a team more resembling an AFL team with our senior mids back in the second half of the year and see what he can do.

It is also role based to an extent. He is playing on the opposition’s best big bodied mid most of the time, and clearly being coached to do that more defensively rather than hunt the ball.

If/when we flick that switch he should accumulate more.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is also role based to an extent. He is playing on the opposition’s best big bodied mid most of the time, and clearly being coached to do that more defensively rather than hunt the ball.

Yep. It'd be ideal if he was learning by playing alongside Yeo and Shuey, but getting him to follow the opposition's best mid around and take notes is about the best we can do for his apprenticeship right now.

like others have said it’s too early. Early in the season he looked like he was heading in the right direction regarding accumulation but with no midfield and him being slammed inside its gonna be hard. He’d be fairing lot better if we had a good midfield unit. He’d be very cooked atm and probably deserving of a rest soon too

like others have said it’s too early. Early in the season he looked like he was heading in the right direction regarding accumulation but with no midfield and him being slammed inside its gonna be hard. He’d be fairing lot better if we had a good midfield unit. He’d be very cooked atm and probably deserving of a rest soon too

Plan heading into the season was Ginbey, Yeo and Shuey to form a rotational trio that would alternate between the midfield and half-back.

We saw how that played out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back