List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

The polar opposite to Sheed at the moment, who has a bad case of fummbleitis and often looks glued to the spot.

His football has regressed badly, hopefully he turns it around asap.
Sheed has also seemed to have lost his arse . May have something to do with it - Aaron Ballintyne

Then, after the 2021 season, Ginbey went home to Dunsbrough and came back bigger.

Much bigger.

“We said, ‘Mate, what have you been doing?’ and he said, ‘I have just been in the gym.’ We wanted him to play in the midfield and we wondered if his size would affect his running but he ran a really good 2km time trial.

“At one point at training at Leederville he took his polo shirt off because he was sweating and he was just ripped. I had not seen anything like that before at Colts level.”

The East Perth Colts coaches wanted Ginbey in their midfield but, before the summer was finished, they had lost him to the league team. He only played four senior games in between school football commitments at Wesley and interstate commitments for WA. By the end of the season, however, he had firmed as a top 10 draft pick and the Eagles were delighted that he got through to them.

It is no surprise to Ballantyne that Ginbey already looks capable of holding his own physically in the AFL.

“He is really strong through his arse area, for want of a better word,” Ballantyne said. “When he is set and in position it is going to be hard to move him to be sure.”
I remember watching former Man City star Yaya Toure talk about what he wanted to pass along in coaching - how could he pass on what made him so good.

They showed a clip of him defending the ball and his sentiment was the same - he had a big strong "bum" as he called it. The most important lower body muscle for holding off other players.

Makes sense it works in our game too

Ginbey‘s kicking has been described as average here. I have the following comments:
1. Nat Fye‘s kicking is even worse and won 2 Brownlow Medals.(that does not mean Ginbey should be spending less time to improve his kicking to a higher standard)
2. Kicking can be improved by an 18 years old. For example, Josh Kennedy had improved his kicking quite a lot in his playing life. Dean Cox is another example. I am sure there are a lot more examples out there.

Ginbey‘s kicking has been described as average here. I have the following comments:
1. Nat Fye‘s kicking is even worse and won 2 Brownlow Medals.(that does not mean Ginbey should be spending less time to improve his kicking to a higher standard)
2. Kicking can be improved by an 18 years old. For example, Josh Kennedy had improved his kicking quite a lot in his playing life. Dean Cox is another example. I am sure there are a lot more examples out there.

Only one poster has continued to bang on about his kicking which is now reaching parody levels. It's fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the criticism of his kicking wasn't so much that it is bad, but rather that he kicks to an area and maybe isn't pinpoint. To date, that is probably true. That said, I think his kicking is fine/ decent and the rest of his game looks awesome.

SPP would embarass his opponent 9/10 times in that situation.

Seriously impressive how he tackles him and throws him to the ground like he's Andrew Gaff.

SPP would embarass his opponent 9/10 times in that situation.

Seriously impressive how he tackles him and throws him to the ground like he's Andrew Gaff.
Any opponent can be taken down in a tackle if you have the right technique and pre-empt their tactics (usually the strong arm).
If you catch the tackler off-balance (say with their weight shifted to one foot) you can often push them away (and perhaps even over on to the ground).
At the first instance Ginbey reached for the body and when Powell-Pepper went to push he clung to his arm to ensure he didn't lose his centre.
At second instance Ginbey quickly moves into closer proximity so when Powell-Pepper tries to push off with his forearm for a second time Ginbey already has hands around his waist, and that's all she wrote.

Meh, all the top inside mids have reasonably average kicking because everything is in tight and contested, it's about moving it forward.

Issue with poor kicking is if you are an outside player and you can't lace out teammates when you're out in space. That's the killer.

Meh, all the top inside mids have reasonably average kicking because everything is in tight and contested, it's about moving it forward.

Issue with poor kicking is if you are an outside player and you can't lace out teammates when you're out in space. That's the killer.
Agreed. Hence guys like Lachie Hunter and Fiorini struggle to make an impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Back