Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

First game in the big time is generally just an excuse.

For example, Moore didn't do a great deal, but he didn't do a great deal wrong either. Maynard, not only didn't do a great deal, but he did a bit wrong. Crucially wrong.

There's your difference.

But yeah, you geniuses keep throwing personal insults around. No worries.
Not allowed a differing view to the unwashed, you know this!

Based on last night thus far, Maynard looks like he may join those 4 for me. A kid who may do some good things here and there, but just undo it all by costing us goals.
I certainly don't think it will be through being a turnover merchant in keeping with the others on your list. The main blunder with his disposal was a kick which asked a fraction too much of Toovey, but could easily have been because the two hadn't played together before. Had Toovey known Maynard had enough confidence in his kicking to even attempt to let him run on to a mark like that, an extra half-step (hell, even the same circumstances repeated another ten times) he might well have swallowed it.

The defensive lapses are what he'll need to work on most, and hopefully those are the result of inexperience and playing on a very difficult player to bring down in Puopolo.

So let me get this right, you have pretty much written him off after one AFL game? Tad harsh, no?

In any event it's of no relevance whether you think he's good or not, the CFC rates him at this stage and that's all that matters.

For what it's worth, I thought he showed plenty.

Read my post again. I said Maynard appear that he's on that track. I haven't written anything off and when THATSGOLD and I were discussing him yesterday (in a far more reasonable fashion than some in here are) I said hopefully he can prove me wrong.

As yet, he has not changed my initial view of him. See, the problem with most Collingwood supporters is that they see the normal as extraordinary. Maynard hits a regulation target and all of a sudden he's great. I've got news for some of you, AFL standard players SHOULD be hitting more targets than they miss. This is not something that you should see as exceptional, it's something you should EXPECT.

Example:

Pendlbury hits a target 20 metres away. Standard
Pendlebury weaves through a pack of 15 players without having a finger laid on him and then sports are target in the congestion and hits him into space. Extraordinary.

This is how some of you view the Collingwood players:

Maynard hits a regulation 20 metre pass. Amazing
Maynard trips over his own feet. Bu bu bu it was a big game

This is how I see Collingwood players:

Maynard hits a 20 metre pass. Would hope he could at this level
Maynard falls over his own feet. Gimp

Tripping over your own feet is inexperience? It's called being unco
Watch the footage again, he didn't trip. Breust turned his body and made contact with him to knock him over.

He did a few things that I think shows that he will be a good player for us once he gets his share of games up his sleeve.

Watch the footage again, he didn't trip. Breust turned his body and made contact with him to knock him over.

He did a few things that I think shows that he will be a good player for us once he gets his share of games up his sleeve.

Let's hope he does. Toovey is finished and Sinclair is injury prone. Marley can't be our only small defender going forward or Freo and Hawthorn will torment us for many years to come.

Read my post again. I said Maynard appear that he's on that track. I haven't written anything off and when THATSGOLD and I were discussing him yesterday (in a far more reasonable fashion than some in here are) I said hopefully he can prove me wrong.

As yet, he has not changed my initial view of him. See, the problem with most Collingwood supporters is that they see the normal as extraordinary. Maynard hits a regulation target and all of a sudden he's great. I've got news for some of you, AFL standard players SHOULD be hitting more targets than they miss. This is not something that you should see as exceptional, it's something you should EXPECT.

Example:

Pendlebury weaves through a pack of 15 players without having a finger laid on him and then sports are target in the congestion and hits him into space. Extraordinary.

Haha is this post for real?!

The pressure of debuting at the MCG infront of 75k+ would be far higher than Pendlebury who has nothing to prove because hes a proven star.

He did some nice things last night. And he's actually a good user of the footy majority of the time, so by the looks of it the "big game excuse" is real in this case.

Even slightly comparing the two players is simply idiotic.

Let's hope he does. Toovey is finished and Sinclair is injury prone. Marley can't be our only small defender going forward or Freo and Hawthorn will torment us for many years to come.
I think Toovey is going through a bad patch and agree that we may need a Maynard/scharenberg/ Sinclair to come in and take his place. He is still good one on one, but is starting to give his man too much space.

I'm not saying that Maynard is a monty, and agree that sometimes we are quick to judge players (positively and negatively). Although Maynard made a couple of blues, they are ones that can be worked out of his game and I saw a few things/ efforts that lead me to believe that he could develop into a good half back flanker for us.

The pressure of debuting at the MCG infront of 75k+ would be far higher than Pendlebury who has nothing to prove because hes a proven star.

He did some nice things last night. And he's actually a good user of the footy majority of the time, so by the looks of it the "big game excuse" is real in this case.

Thanks for confirming that you missed the point of my post.

Yeah he wasn't comparing the two players.

He was comparing the set of standards we apply to our young players to determine whether they're quality, to the league standard in 2015.

we cannot drop maynard after one game. The kid needs few games in the afl to get used to the speed.
I always thought you should get picked to play AFL games based on your performances and what you bring to the team. You shouldn't get gifted them to get your debut out of the way or get a taste of the action. We are playing for a spot in the finals in a make or break month of footy! He's not best 22 at the moment and there are other available guys who are best 22 or thereabouts and they have runs on the board.. so out he goes until he earns a spot or we have a structural need for him.

Example:

This is a very, very good post

Facepalm, read it again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude cost us 2 goals. One by tripping over his own feet and by failing to pinpoint a 15 metre pass he should never have been attempting

Toovey dropped that kick which if delivered by Pendles would have been called sublime. User-end problem.

Looked very good to me on debut.

It was three. There was a moment at the Punt Rd end when he went to whack a bouncing ball away from a contest he missed it completely and it fell to the back for Hawthorn to punish us...

He wasn't ready, IMO, there was a bit to like when he had ball in hand and he took the game on by foot which I really liked. The problem is we need him using it by foot at least 10+ times a match to cover for his current defensive weaknesses and he's not there yet.

I've seen worse debuts (Moore's for instance), but last night may have cost us top 4 so we need to make sure we don't get in a scrap to make the 8 from here and the first step in that process is to send Maynard (and Moore) back to the VFL for a little while.
Agree with most of your stuff.
This one implies, (even if it's accidental) they're the reason we lost.
Our kicking was the reason we lost.
If we won we'd all be marvelling at how gutsy Bucks was and what a great experience for the kids.
I think that sentiment still applies.

Agree with most of your stuff.
This one implies, (even if it's accidental) they're the reason we lost.
Our kicking was the reason we lost.
If we won we'd all be marvelling at how gutsy Bucks was and what a great experience for the kids.
I think that sentiment still applies.

Agree - A result/Win can change people Perception

Guys, it's against BF rules to publicly discuss and lambast other posters. Have differing opinions, post them, discuss some of the finer points of contention, and then get on with it.

I have deleted a bunch of posts which fit into the above category. And also to tidy up this thread, in recognition of a young debutant and his first game. Good luck to Maynard, the kid showed some signs. It's no mean feat to debut against the reigning premiers.

Not the best of first games. Cost us a few goals with cruicial turnovers.

The one thing he has going for him is he doesn't mind taking the risky options, he just needs to ensure he can follow through with it. I like the look of him

Not the best first game but hey hes young i remember adams first few games and he made me sick but as time goes on he got much better....he will learn but port are a good running side so i would bring in marsh for pace.

Not the best of first games. Cost us a few goals with cruicial turnovers.

The one thing he has going for him is he doesn't mind taking the risky options, he just needs to ensure he can follow through with it. I like the look of him

Did lot better then the last 2 players we Debuted against the Dawks

Not the best first game but hey hes young i remember adams first few games and he made me sick but as time goes on he got much better....he will learn but port are a good running side so i would bring in marsh for pace.

Would you trust Marsh’s Kicking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back