Player Watch Welcome to Collingwood Kate Sheahan

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know if it's just that I follow Collingwood but apart from Sheahan, Rodan, Hutchings and especially Mo Hope the only other name I can think of off the top of my head is Daisy Pearce.

I would love to see this succeed, but atm there is not 8 teams worth of elite talent so it has to stay newsworthy to get the corporate support - What we are doing is making the Pies a destination club for the next generation who will grow up playing the sport.

I don't know if it's just that I follow Collingwood but apart from Sheahan, Rodan, Hutchings and especially Mo Hope the only other name I can think of off the top of my head is Daisy Pearce.

I'm guessing that up until six weeks ago you'd never heard of Mo Hope either? I hadn't.

There's still five months to go until the competition even begins. Things can and will change over that period.

I'm guessing that up until six weeks ago you'd never heard of Mo Hope either? I hadn't.

There's still five months to go until the competition even begins. Things can and will change over that period.

I had heard none of then until Collingwood was Granted a Liscence

She's 34 and hasn't played footy for 20 years and is joining the Collingwood team?

Umm wtf? Is that a joke?

Are we serious about this competition or is it a bit of hit and giggle?
Yeah, female footy players over 30 is by itself nothing unusual, but she hasn't played footy in 2 decades o_O
Not sure if it's your maths or reading comprehension that is an issue with these two posts :)
"In 2006 she played a game for Melbourne University in the top-level VWFL"
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/ef64a4ae4fbc8b675e4ab9541b0a88f4

From SEN this morning.

7.56 – Collingwood AFLW player Kate Sheahan
  • Broke down in tears when the coach was addressing the group in the huddle before the praccy match last week
  • To be able to live out your dreams at the age of 35 is remarkable
  • It is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me
https://audioboom.com/posts/5547752-kate-sheahan-on-sen-breakfast-30-01-17

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kate Sheahan grew up thinking she’d never live her dream, that is about to change
157e949f58ff6f6a3dfa1fce4677996b

KATE SHEAHAN, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only
157e949f58ff6f6a3dfa1fce4677996b

WHEN I was a young girl I was obsessed with two things - the Hawthorn Football Club and Dermott Brereton.

I knew every Hawks player, their number and the brand of boots they wore and my bedroom walls were covered with newspaper articles, particularly those featuring Dermott.

I was lucky I was born in the 1980s because we dominated.

WHO’S WHO: COLLINGWOOD’S AFLW PLAYER PROFILES

AFLW OPENER: MAGPIES ON TOP OF THE WORLD

AIMING HIGH: ‘NO POINT HIDING’: MAGPIES EYE AFL GF

My first real memory was the ’89 Grand Final. I couldn’t go as my dad (journalist Mike Sheahan) was working. Dad gave me the next best thing - a letter from Dermott. He said he would kick the first goal for me in the Granny, and he did! I always believed it really was for me - ignorance really is bliss.

Dad and Dermott weren’t best buddies back then because Dad had written a few things that caused a stir.

People say you don’t want to meet your idols because you will be disappointed but that was never the case with Dermott. He always had time for me and made me feel like the most important person in the world.

eb191ece728604427644a953d607b49f

Dermott Brereton certainly had a memorable 1989 Grand Final.
It’s those early experiences that make you love the game.

Dad and I spent a lot of time together while I was growing up and his love of football clearly rubbed off on me.

I wasn’t a typical Daddy’s little girl. I was more like daddy’s little boy. My brothers and sister called me “The Shadow’’ - they said I followed him everywhere.

I had a boy’s hair cut and played all my sport with the boys.

ONES TO WATCH: GREAT UNKNOWNS OF FIRST AFLW SEASON

MAGPIES STAR: FOOTY NO LONGER A HOOP DREAM FOR RODEN

My oldest brother Tony was great mates with Jason Cripps (who played for St Kilda) and Justin Murphy (Carlton). They would spend day after day at our house after school. They called me ‘Kenny’.

One day my brother asked them why ‘Kenny’? Murph responded with “because that’s his name, isn’t it?”

I didn’t care what they called me if it meant I could play footy with them.

Our great family friends were the Powers, including the boys Ben, Luke and Sam. Luke and Sam both played footy at AFL level and Luke played in three premierships with the Lions.

6c20915fcd4cf930b36feeb3f073c891

A young Kate Sheahan with father, Mike, after a game for Balwyn.
When we were kids, every summer we would train at the Sorrento oval and hone our skills.

It never occurred to me back then that only their dreams would come true, that they were the only ones who would play league footy.

When I was 13 years old the Powers invited me down to their local footy club, the Balwyn Tigers.

My mum was totally against the idea of me playing. She said it wasn’t lady like and that I would get hurt, so much so that I had to find my own way to training and matches, wash my own gear and secure my own footy boots, which I won entering a footy quiz on 3AW.

Nothing was going to stop me playing.

In 1995 I played in the Balwyn under-13 premiership side where I played centre half-forward. It was the greatest achievement of my life.

Then my dreams came crashing down.

I could no longer play with the boys and certainly couldn’t go on to play at AFL level. I was shattered. I felt cheated. I was always just as good as the boys but there was simply no pathway.

0edd58bc125b39195a999c24a16c4e7f

Kate Sheahan in action at Collingwood training.
But it didn’t stop me loving the game, it just stopped me playing. I was still just as obsessed.

In high school I would spend my holidays in winter in Brisbane staying with then chief executive Andrew Ireland, a friend of my dad’s.

I would hang out at the club during the day and they gave me the job of kicking with the injured players, including players like Andy Gowers and Jarrod Molloy.

The players also knew I played tennis, so one day Chris Scott and I played - it was the first time I experienced sledging.

I had Jason Akermanis standing behind the fence giving it to me, telling I was going to miss, that my old man was an idiot.

But I won the match and Chris took me out for lunch.

When I was 18 years old I was asked to play in an exhibition match at Toorak Park. It was half-time of an old Xavs and Uni Blues game.

In the crowd was a young man who would to go on to run the AFL, Gillon McLachlan.

b2c6b9bb957e393becd552168896c0df

Kate & Mike Sheahan arrive at the 2016 Brownlow Medal. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
He still remembers watching me collect the ball at a centre bounce, run inside the forward 50 and slot a goal. I don’t think he had ever seen a girl play. All he knew was that I was ‘Sheahan’s daughter’.

At the start of 2016 playing footy at AFL level still remained the impossible dream.

I thought being 34, with 12 orthopaedic surgeries behind me and with a five-year-old son, footy was hardly an option.

But out of nowhere Gillon sent me a text. It it simply said: “Have you thought about playing in the new women’s league”?

Instantly all those emotions of excitement and elation came flooding back.

Finally, after all those years there was a chance I could live my dream. And I can’t wait.

It probably depends on the club's objectives ...

Bulldogs (for example) seem to be playing the long game. Their marquees are gun 24/23 year olds in Brennan and Blackburn.

Collingwood by contrast want to win the competition year 1.

Of course everybody wants to win and they'll be trying to win ... But different clubs will have different long / short term strategies.
Well...

Just announced on AFL 360 that she has been delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back