Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Well done young man!!! This article is getting me teary eyed - so sad yet so beautiful to have achieve a debut so quickly.

Losing someone close like his old man is hard esp when he is still quite young. Harness that pain and make us supporters proud dear boy!

I will be cheering either way regardless of how he goes. I saw his father played when I was younger, definitely a courageous player that didn’t take a step backwards. Paul will be looking down and be so proud.

Last edited:
Given the story behind it all potentially there is a bit of work going on - filming calls to family etc.
Out of all the debuts we've had in the last 20 years one would think this one is going to be the most emotional one. His old man would be so so proud as would his mum and all of his family. This debut is just going to be different to others (it's bloody special) for various reasons and all of just so desperately want it to go well. Really hope the coaches simplify his role so he can finish it off feeling he's played his part.

Having said all this now we wait on an offical announcement.

Out of all the debuts we've had in the last 20 years one would think this one is going to be the most emotional one. His old man would be so so proud as would his mum and all of his family. This debut is just going to be different to others for various reasons and all of just so desperately want it to go well. Really hope the coaches simplify his role so he can finish it off feeling he's played his part.

Having said all this now we wait on an offical announcement.
Not waiting
Got announced allready

He may still not be ready....
Have a look at the lad.. He’s ready. Doesn’t mean he’s gonna go out there and kick 5 goals and take 10 contested marks every game. Just means he’s ready to get out there and start getting games and experience under his belt. The more games he plays and more comfortable he gets the better for us.

Butttt he is not Readyyyyyyy
I was in the "not yet" camp and I am sure that this would not be the first choice situation for Calshers debut if the Club had choices.

In saying that, there would not be a Hawks supporter anywhere lt alone on Bigfooty who does not wish Calsher the best.
Go well young man.

Have a look at the lad.. He’s ready. Doesn’t mean he’s gonna go out there and kick 5 goals and take 10 contested marks every game. Just means he’s ready to get out there and start getting games and experience under his belt. The more games he plays and more comfortable he gets the better for us.
There's more to being ready than just size and strength. He said himself after the pre-season game that it took him a while to recover. That kind of stamina comes from multiple pre-seasons, not just 5 VFL games. Bear in mind that he is a bit behind others in this regard due to taking 18 months or so off. It'll certainly be a good experience for him at least, but you really do need to be able to string a few games together to get some confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was in the "not yet" camp and I am sure that this would not be the first choice situation for Calshers debut if the Club had choices.

In saying that, there would not be a Hawks supporter anywhere lt alone on Bigfooty who does not wish Calsher the best.
Go well young man.
So rapt to see Calsher debut.. He just needs to soak it up and get the experience and it will only fast track his development. One of my great mates is closely related to Paul and Greg… they’re a good family, they deserve this special moment after going Through so much.. good luck Calsher!!

You really think every team, including hawthorn, has FOUR big forwards better than Dear?
Yep - 3 or 4 at each of the 18 teams. We have the second worst forward line in the competition.

Theres 700+ players in the competition.

Calsher was one of the last players added to an AFL list - and we all agree it’s our horrible injury / suspension situation which has him debuting this week.

Anyhow - selection has been made and we all hope for the best. 👍

Bit of egg on face in this thread. Can't wait to see him out there.
sure i am one of them. I have egg on my face. I still maintain it wasnt the best choice but how can u not be happy for the kid. I cant wait for him to run out with the team. An emotional moment for him and his family

Last edited:
Yep - 3 or 4 at each of the 18 teams. We have the second worst forward line in the competition.

Theres 700+ players in the competition.

Calsher was one of the last players added to an AFL list - and we all agree it’s our horrible injury / suspension situation which has him debuting this week.

Anyhow - selection has been made and we all hope for the best. 👍

Not sure I agree that’s purely a result of injury. Would have been named if he was playing poorly at Box Hill?

sure i am one of them. I have egg on my face. I still maintain it wasnt the best choice but how can u not be happy for the kid. I cant wait for him to run out with team. An emotional moment for him and his family
Well... I don't think you have egg on your face.

He didn't need to debut..until he did. I don't think the club sees this situation as ideal...

Ideally, he wouldn't have to debut so early...but our mature big man supply has run dry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back