Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Cooper Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Cooper Stephens (26 disposals, 1 goal, 7 clearances)​

"I think it was his best game for the footy club he has played so far. He was strong inside and again, he had a really nice balance between contested and uncontested possessions. We saw some real bursts from stoppage, he was able to hit the scoreboard again and he was really tough again inside. He has great energy."

I'd love to see Stephens get a go, but one good game in the middle of a fair few meh games doesn't warrant a call up. If he can dominate footy at the VFL level for a few rounds he'll get a chance sooner rather than later.

Cooper would’ve been eyeing Worpel’s spot when he crossed, but Jimmy has made it his own.

Cooper would’ve been eyeing Worpel’s spot when he crossed, but Jimmy has made it his own.
This is exactly what we want. Competition for spots. Players outside the team forced to develop themselves to play additional roles. Players inside the team unable to just rest on their laurels.

Who do you think has more scope?
Objectively at this point it has to be Worpel. He's been a BnF winner and is at the top of the comp for clearances. Cooper hasn't shown anything like that. I know when you're talking scope you're talking potential but performance at the highest level is the greatest demonstration of potential you can see.

That said I'm sure Cooper will get an opportunity at some point and things can change very quickly when we're talking about the best of the best

True. Although Day had 7 turnovers too, and we gush about him. Worpel had 9 and was voted MVP by the fans,
Not really comparable. Turnovers from inside mids with high CBA% is normal given they're constantly making their disposal in congestion and under immediate pressure. It's far more concerning when it's from an outside mid who will be afforded a lot more time and space to make their disposal under relatively little pressure.

Not really comparable. Turnovers from inside mids with high CBA% is normal given they're constantly making their disposal in congestion and under immediate pressure. It's far more concerning when it's from an outside mid who will be afforded a lot more time and space to make their disposal under relatively little pressure.
I can recall 2 kicks he made with little pressure that went OOB, but I wouldn't say just because he's not an inside mid that he wouldn't get disposals under pressure and afforded the same grace as an inside mid.

On your point, another comparison is Amo. Amon had 5 turn overs

I can recall 2 kicks he made with little pressure that went OOB, but I wouldn't say just because he's not an inside mid that he wouldn't get disposals under pressure and afforded the same grace as an inside mid.

On your point, another comparison is Amo. Amon had 5 turn overs
Would likely help our mids if there were clear and presenting targets up the ground. Rarely happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw him more going for Nash’s spot. He’s never shown a huge propensity for ball winning even at VFL level with Geelong.

What he does do well is the defensive side of things. With Nash coming on there’s not really a spot for him there either.

It’s up to him to keep putting his hand up for selection. His defensive side could definitely help our midfield out.

Cooper has afl traits he just needs to get games and consistency after a difficult start to his career. He also should remember that he wouldn’t be getting a game at the cats either and he is still more likely to with us, despite the rise of Nash the introduction of Day and the return of the Worpedo. Sounds like a trilogy doesn’t it…

VFL player by player RD10: Each AFL-listed Hawk in review​

Cooper Stephens (2 goals, 22 disposals, 8 tackles, 5 marks)

“This week, he was able to get through the whole game. When he spent some time forward, he was able to hit the scoreboard. He had some really tough moments in the contest. We’re really rapt with what he’s been able to show and the progression he’s showing at the moment.”

VFL player by player RD10: Each AFL-listed Hawk in review​

Cooper Stephens (2 goals, 22 disposals, 8 tackles, 5 marks)

“This week, he was able to get through the whole game. When he spent some time forward, he was able to hit the scoreboard. He had some really tough moments in the contest. We’re really rapt with what he’s been able to show and the progression he’s showing at the moment.”
Interesting comment about getting through a whole game. Was that foot injury related, or any concerns on his endurance / fitness?

Cooper has afl traits he just needs to get games and consistency after a difficult start to his career. He also should remember that he wouldn’t be getting a game at the cats either and he is still more likely to with us, despite the rise of Nash the introduction of Day and the return of the Worpedo. Sounds like a trilogy doesn’t it…
I think he would already have had some under his belt due to the Cat's injury list. Without Danger, Cam Guthrie, Holmes, Duncan and Bowes their starting midfield was Bruhn, Atkins and Blicavs. They look a far cry from the the team that played Rope-a- Dope with us in round 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back