Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we put the discussion of DGB and his playing position to bed. He is training in defence. That is where he will lineup
That’s where he trained last pre season and started the year too, only to be switched forward mid season after poor performances. Until he consistency performs in a role, there will be discussion. Within the club too

Last edited:
Hawks Insiders interview with Peter Burge is a good listen. Around 34:40 he talks about DGB getting a lot stronger this off season as well as completing 100x100m sprints. touched on his relatively weak tank but notes his explosiveness and speed as quality attributes. It felt like he was going in to bat for Denver. Was good to hear from someone inside the club.

EwO8q9oWEAAIMKZ.jpg

Sigh.

Geez, that really stings. For a guy with such huge knocks on his fitness, it’ll be extremely difficult for him to maintain a strong base, let alone improve on it, with this kind of injury.
Hard to imagine how this could have come at a worse time for DGB. Our tall defensive stocks are depleted which would have created opportunities and he was coming into a season that was already shaping-up as make-or-break for him. Now he is likely to lose any gains he made during the pre-season while Phillips, Serong and McCabe will be developing his absence. Really bad luck for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Removes another selection headache I guess! Good luck to DGB - hope he takes the time to work on the things he can in his time away from the turf.

Can someone with a physiotherapy / biomechanics background ( sven_inc perhaps) tell me if this injury is likely to be related to the tight toed boots footballers have to wear?

From an amateur's perspective, we get a lot of problems with that region from poor footwear.

Happy to be educated. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Terrible news. This was the year he needed to step up, and being out of contract end of the year makes it more unfortuante. Turf toe is one of those annoying injuries that linger, so hopefully he can get it sorted.

Can someone with a physiotherapy / biomechanics background ( sven_inc perhaps) tell me if this injury is likely to be related to the tight toed boots footballers have to wear?

From an amateur's perspective, we get a lot of problems with that region from poor footwear.

Happy to be educated. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
Hard to say definitively. Would say that while footy shoes are bad for the feet due to constriction over the long term, to my mind they're less likely to contribute to injuries like turf toe because the shoe is more solid, engineered to provide spring and absorb shock.

Rotten luck for DGB.

As others have said really bad timing for him on a personal level (not that there ever is good timing for an injury like this).

That's the power of mean reversion. We have had a blessed run with injuries the last couple of years but sooner or later it was going to revert back to normal (as it has with a thud this preseason).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back