Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Was brilliant when Oliver lost it at quarter time ……. Finn has won the contest as his man’s focus is not on their game. Love seeing the boys coming in to protect him because he will get under plenty of skin while doing his thing. Best tagger in the game!
Quite reminiscent of Ryan Crowley I feel. Hawthorn games are beginning to look ominous for opposition key players as the thought of having Finn hanging around all day is just too much to handle. They become focussed on Finn, our best players take charge and wins follow

The prevailing view from senior coaches for several years has been that successful sides do not play a full time tagger. While we are not a successful side (yet), Mitchell and Finn are challenging that view, because a player who can shut out players the calibre of Daicos and Oliver can be very effective. His ability to play on both outside creators and inside bulls makes him very valuable. It's going to be really fascinating to see how this unfolds over the next few years. Massive credit to how he has applied himself in the back half of this season. His discipline is terrific and despite being a pure stopper, there is nothing dirty or untoward in the way that he is playing. He is playing a part in making us a side opponents do not like playing against.

Ball use whilst not exceptional is now reliable.
Yep, I think there has been visible improvement in the second half of the year.

No longer has that "Uh oh! Hot potato!" look in his eyes when he gets the ball in his hands...

The prevailing view from senior coaches for several years has been that successful sides do not play a full time tagger. While we are not a successful side (yet), Mitchell and Finn are challenging that view, because a player who can shut out players the calibre of Daicos and Oliver can be very effective. His ability to play on both outside creators and inside bulls makes him very valuable. It's going to be really fascinating to see how this unfolds over the next few years. Massive credit to how he has applied himself in the back half of this season. His discipline is terrific and despite being a pure stopper, there is nothing dirty or untoward in the way that he is playing. He is playing a part in making us a side opponents do not like playing against.
As they say everything old is new again
Sam is just challenging everyone else step up or get left behind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're a defender and you shutdown a forward, nobody says anything bad about you.
Might even win some plaudits.

Do the same thing as a midfielder... :cryv1:

Maginness plays a clean game.
He's got the tank, the strength and the discipline to shut them down, and they can't deal with it.
The best midfielders in the league have no answer.
It's quite an extraordinary collection of scalps he has taken.

2 more years according to Tom Morris

Massive credit to a guy who was on the cusp mid season and has found a way to use his athletic strengths and discipline to carve out an effective AFL role.

Cornes’ comment about the lack of resilience in the modern midfielder is really interesting. Todays guns have gone their career without dealing with the hard tags.

Goodwin was an absolute sook in his post match presser saying that Finn is a player that doesn’t want/play the ball. Ok so a big part of the game is getting the pill first …….. but keeping the ball from the opposition is also. No different to what Finn does to the best oppo players and I’m sure hypocrite Goodwin has never told his players to play keeping’s off at certain times during games NOT. Poor form having a cheap shot like that at Finn …… but having said that you know Finn must be doing a fine job 😀

I reckon Mitch pulling Finn off Oliver was a bit of a strategic move for the future? ………. he knows he’s definitely got this up his sleeve when he needs it!

Goodwin was an absolute sook in his post match presser saying that Finn is a player that doesn’t want/play the ball. Ok so a big part of the game is getting the pill first …….. but keeping the ball from the opposition is also. No different to what Finn does to the best oppo players and I’m sure hypocrite Goodwin has never told his players to play keeping’s off at certain times during games NOT. Poor form having a cheap shot like that at Finn …… but having said that you know Finn must be doing a fine job 😀

I reckon Mitch pulling Finn off Oliver was a bit of a strategic move for the future? ………. he knows he’s definitely got this up his sleeve when he needs it!

I can imagine that Finn will be more attacking in the future, as we improve. then used to nullify a threat when he needs to.

Cornes, as much as he drives sensationalist journalism to get the clicks, can certainly do a good level of analysis.

To be honest, he's someone I'd like doing analysis during matches. Tell us what the coaches and players are doing, make us aware of things they can do to change it up. AFL is sadly lacking at that sort of thing during a match.

He's certainly correct here too. Well done Finn, great job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back