Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Lloyd Meek

Remove this Banner Ad

Great write up đź‘Ť

I understand your point about how a Darcy / Meek combo couldn't work due to them being too similar.

What makes me think that Meeks will do well at the Hawks is that big noodle (Reeves) has shown some suprisingly adept skills in the forward line (snapping crumbling goals no less) so I think a combo of Meeks as the number 1 ruck rotating to the bench with Reeves as a combo ruck/forward could work quite well.

The question to me is how Lynch fits into this picture? It's very unfortunate that Max had so many untimely injuries past year as he had a real opportunity to claim a permanent ruck position but couldn't get onto the field.
Yep I think we'll play Lewis as the main leading forward, big Reeves in the square and have a bunch of little tackling machines zipping all around them hoovering up ground footies. Can't see Kozi getting a game tbh

Yep I think we'll play Lewis as the main leading forward, big Reeves in the square and have a bunch of little tackling machines zipping all around them hoovering up ground footies. Can't see Kozi getting a game tbh
I think when Ned goes into the middle that Meek can still go up forward, even if just to just create havoc to allow the likes of Serong or Green to do their thing.

From what I have seen so far though I think its fair to say that Ceglar was a better/more talented player than Lynch at the same age.

That's why Cegs played as many games as he did, he was actually a good to very good player (on his day) whereas I haven't seen the same ability from Lynch yet (I admit last year didn't give a great sample size for comparison).

But we definetly need Lynch as a backup ruck because we all saw what happened last year when you run out of rucks (you are up that creek without a paddle).

Agree that Ceglar on his day was very good, and likely a more talented ruckman, but I got tired of him always watching the opposing Ruckman and never the ball. Lynch doesn't have this issue and is also a much tougher player than Ceglar ever was. I also think that KLynch is much better around the ground than Ceglar was although Cegs was handy in the fwd line.

Agree that Ceglar on his day was very good, and likely a more talented ruckman, but I got tired of him always watching the opposing Ruckman and never the ball. Lynch doesn't have this issue and is also a much tougher player than Ceglar ever was. I also think that KLynch is much better around the ground than Ceglar was although Cegs was handy in the fwd line.
I have always been of the opinion that the ruckman should have a presence that makes the mids walk taller. I never saw that in Ceglar.

Meek has the body to be that man ....

Last edited:
Agree with all of the above but would argue the Lynch is already a far better forward than Ceglar. Ceglar was a one trick pony - mark ball ( which was pretty good) go back and kick goal. His accuracy in front of goal was very hit miss, Lynch is a lot more agile and has a few more tricks around goal. As mentioned by another poster, couldn’t stomach Ceglar watching the opposing ruckman first rather than ball

I actually thought that one of Cegs big strengths (alongside his marking) was his ability to play as a quasi midfielder around the ground (sort of a poor man's Dean Cox). He could rack up 20 disposals in a semi regular basis which is very decent for a ruck.

His weaknesses were always his consistency (probably injury related) and lack of physicality in the ruck contest.

I always maintain that prior to his knee injury he was tracking to be one of the best rucks in the league.

Like I said I haven't seen the same level of ability in Lynch but to be fair Max hasn't had a good run at it so far.

I have always been of the opinion that the ruckman should have a presence that makes the mids walk talker. I never saw that in Ceglar.

Meek has the body to be that man ....
Shane Mumford has exclusively played for despicable clubs and has a persona to match. But you had to admire his on field impact through his physicality. He could easily send a player down to the rooms until the next major break or at the very least have them looking over their shoulder if they were having a good game. He'd have kept opposition midfielders worried at all times that they were moments from being cleaned up.

Is this supposed to be a joke???
Some mouthy Blues flogs on the main board keep saying that Meek is just a reserves player.

So who else do we have to play as a 2nd or 3rd tall forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The options, as I see it, are Kosi, Fergus, Serong, Scrimshaw and Day. Probably in that order.

Those first 3 are the hardest to predict on our list in regards to expectations.

Will Kosi recapture his 2021 form or see a decline?
Can Greene translate his VFL form into the senior side?
Can Serong break out and become a best 22 player?

Shane Mumford has exclusively played for despicable clubs and has a persona to match. But you had to admire his on field impact through his physicality. He could easily send a player down to the rooms until the next major break or at the very least have them looking over their shoulder if they were having a good game. He'd have kept opposition midfielders worried at all times that they were moments from being cleaned up.

Took out Lewis for months for no apparent reason. Just dickheadery

I do remember Lewis absolutely destroying Todd Goldstein a couple of times. For some reason he really had it in for Goldy which is strange as Todd always struck me as a relatively innofensive chap.

Maybe Mumford was settling a score in behalf of the Ruckmen's Union?

I do remember Lewis absolutely destroying Todd Goldstein a couple of times. For some reason he really had it in for Goldy which is strange as Todd always struck me as a relatively innofensive chap.

Maybe Mumford was settling a score in behalf of the Ruckmen's Union?
Lewis was asked and said there was no reasoning behind it all. He actually looked puzzled as to why he had done both times to the same person.

Lewis was asked and said there was no reasoning behind it all. He actually looked puzzled as to why he had done both times to the same person.
Yeh I found it weird myself.

Out of all the players to have as your number one on your hit list I doubt many would have Todd Goldstein!

From memory both instances were almost identical as well. Poor old Goldy was absolutely poleaxed.

I wouldn't want Meek to be a sniper - he'd spend too much time suspended. I just want him to throw his weight around a bit and if on occasion a fair bump or tackle happens to put a Petracca or Bont type out of action until half time then that's just bonus.

It's a psychological thing more than anything. How many turnovers must have Cyril caused during his career without having to even touch the opposition, simply because they fluffed their disposal because they were hearing footsteps thinking he was about to run them down.

Those first 3 are the hardest to predict on our list in regards to expectations.

Will Kosi recapture his 2021 form or see a decline?
Can Greene translate his VFL form into the senior side?
Can Serong break out and become a best 22 player?
I am really, really hoping for Serong. Incremental improvement with some more real signs he has it. We need xfactor. Take many a grab son. Do something smart. Do something different. Do something like Jack.

The other two …… nah !! Don’t think they have got the attributes. Kosi is too pedestrian. Greene, just has not got what it takes to make the AFL, VFL yes, AFL no.

Will be very happy to be wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back