Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the upgrade from Kossie whilst not huge is a considerably a better fit for the club. Mabior is good once the ball hits the turf and can also take a grab but most importantly of all he kicks the goals he should where as Kossie misses some sitters from 30m out. Mabior is a very unselfish player that likes to look for teammates in a better postion than himself and is great at hitting them up with short kicks.
His field kicking for a 200cm is super! Has a beautiful technique

Last edited:
Exactly. And actually, only three players averaged more goals per game than Gunston at the Lions last year… Daniher, Charlie Cameron and Hipwood. So if you go by goals per game, he was the fourth best forward. Not bad for an old bloke :)
We've already been through this but Gunners kicked the bulk of his goals against the West Coast so his goal average last season probably doesn't mean too much. He averaged 1.3 goals per game but only 1 goal per game if it wasn't for the West Coast game.

He averaged 1.5 goals per game against top 8 sides and 1.2 goals per game against teams that missed the top 8.

Either way I don't think you can measure his importance to the club by just goals alone because the experience he brings will invaluable.

Rd 1 vs Port Adelaide - 2
Rd 2 vs Melbourne – 0

Rd 3 vs Western Bulldogs – 3
Rd 4 vs Collingwood – 0
Rd 6 vs GWS Giants – 2

Rd 7 vs Fremantle – 1
Rd 8 vs Carlton – 2
Rd 8 vs Essendon – 0
Rd 10 vs Gold Coast - 1
Rd 11 vs Adelaide – 0
Rd 12 vs Hawthorn – 0
Rd 17 vs Western Coast – 6

Rd 18 vs Melbourne – 3
Rd 19 vs Geelong – 0
Rd 20 vs Gold Coast – 0
Rd 21 vs Fremantle – 2
Rd 20 vs Adelaide – 0

Just read that article, I didn’t know how well he did at VFL level last year. Yeah I know, big drop in standard, blah blah blah….that and his year before proves he knows his craft, on top of his obvious physical and athletic attributes. Plus there’s still room for further development.

I for one am fascinated as to what he can do this year.

I think the upgrade from Kossie whilst not huge is considerably a better fit for the club. Mabior is good once the ball hits the turf and can also take a grab but most importantly of all he kicks the goals he should where as Kossie misses some sitters from 30m out. Mabior is a very unselfish player that likes to look for teammates in a better postion than himself and is great at hitting them up with short kicks.
Cholly demands the ball as a KPF. When Kossie got it he looked as surprised as the crowd did that it was in his hands. It’s a huge change.

Just read that article, I didn’t know how well he did at VFL level last year. Yeah I know, big drop in standard, blah blah blah….that and his year before proves he knows his craft, on top of his obvious physical and athletic attributes. Plus there’s still room for further development.

I for one am fascinated as to what he can do this year.
Gold Coast clearly putting all their attention into King and Lukosius and knew Walter was coming in. Could end up biting them but just judging it as high draft pick = better. As those guys in 2023 where not that much better than Chol in 2022 and natural progression in Chol he could have had a great 2023 if Suns kept him in. Instead he dominated VFL. He was playing Ruck/Forward early but when he was put at Full Forward kicked goals more regularly.

Prelim final against Box Hill he kicked 5.4 on DGB.

Exactly. And actually, only three players averaged more goals per game than Gunston at the Lions last year… Daniher, Charlie Cameron and Hipwood. So if you go by goals per game, he was the fourth best forward. Not bad for an old bloke :)
I don't think that's a list you wanna be 4th on :grimacing:

I don't think that's a list you wanna be 4th on :grimacing:
Yeah but everyone says Hipwood is useless. He kicked 3 in their semi whilst Jack was rehabbing. He also kicked 1.1 and played well enough in the PF.

Jack was never getting back in, and he’s not getting any younger. He had “the chat” with Fagan and no doubt didn’t like what he heard.

So he’s back.

Hopefully his body holds up and he can contribute. 👍

Personally think he’s going to be huge for our forward line and how others can impact, regardless of how many marks he takes or goals he kicks.
Our smalls will enjoy getting around him.

I hope Hawk fans aren't anticipating judging him on raw numbers.

If he can snag 20-30 goals a season, crash a few packs for our smalls to flourish and give Reeves a rest for 5 minutes a quarter then he's worth every cent of his contract.

I'm surprised no-one has posted in this thread.
Anyway, what did y'all think about his debut?
Personally I was VERY happy. 👍
He flew, he ran, he kicked a couple. Missed a couple. All in all that game should have more than met most on Bigfooty's (where it matters) expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same. Unfortunate he started cramping before 3QT and missed the last. But he did have a limited preseason and it was a hot day to start our season. He'll keep building. Great early signs.

Same. Unfortunate he started cramping before 3QT and missed the last. But he did have a limited preseason and it was a hot day to start our season. He'll keep building. Great early signs.
Well said. And I completely forgot to post about him missing the last quarter. I loved how he flew for his marks. Have to go eat for now... Bye😂

I'm so pumped to have Ma-Chol man in our team.

Kicked a couple and gave one off to Amon in 3/4 of footy.
Was a nice target when Lewis was AWOL.
Took an absolute killer of a mark.

Looking forward to him kicking a bag at some point this year.

Eddie McGuire has accused Chol of intentionally hurting May. Says he was pretending to go for a mark.

Eddie McGuire - "everyone will say what as that like compared to Maynard, Maynard's got nothing to do with this. What was that one like compared to Mabior Chol, who instead, stuck his knee up and pretended to go for a mark. He's broken the ribs of May and his vertebrae"

In the youtube clip Eddie is saying that Peter Wright is all good and should get zero weeks.

I'm amazed that anyone could interpret the Chol mark (though he dropped it) as anything other than going for the ball. Completely amazed. Thought it was text book stuff.

Then i remembered it is Eddie and he might go a little harder on Chol, for some reason.

Didn’t think Ed would struggle for basic ears, but there you go. Chol should have jumped out the way. Why do people have to act like dicks to get attention
AFL media is now just bunch of people trying to say the most extreme things. The most critical, the most outlandish predictions, etc.
They care more about the story than the game. They care more about clicks than quality.

All of a sudden, AFL is a sport that has 'right of way' for the player approaching the ball from other direction; the player going with the flight of the ball needs to cede way???

WTF, Macguire???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back