Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

first time Weddle has been tagged, the little irritating Port bug did really well, hopefully Josh will learn a lot from that.
I remember the first time Newk was similarly tagged, he struggled big time, but very quickly adjusted in subsequent weeks.
I'd say he is ear-maked for the middle in 2025, but Sam happy to teach him defence this year, as we are not in contention.
if Sicily is available this weekend, the opposition attention will be turned away from Josh, and I reckon we will see him at his best again.

Think he is our most exciting player on our list still, he is one of the main reasons i tune in each week. He almost always shows you something new that makes you sit back and just scoff at the things he can do.

Crazy to think how good he is going to be in another 50+ games.

I think this bloke will explode in 2025.

I have said it before, but I applaud Sam's development of Josh. Teaching him solid defence, team first and controlled actions. Whether completely by design or necessity.

Some coaches (north maybe), would let him race around like an unregistered dog, chalking up brilliant possessions mixed with brain fades and turnovers with DE in the 50's. that teaches bad habits.

Once finally unleashed, Josh will have the game awareness, IQ and experience to really elevate himself into one of the best players in the competition IMO.

I think this bloke will explode in 2025.

I have said it before, but I applaud Sam's development of Josh. Teaching him solid defence, team first and controlled actions. Whether completely by design or necessity.

Some coaches (north maybe), would let him race around like an unregistered dog, chalking up brilliant possessions mixed with brain fades and turnovers with DE in the 50's. that teaches bad habits.

Once finally unleashed, Josh will have the game awareness, IQ and experience to really elevate himself into one of the best players in the competition IMO.
cough zane duursma cough

My favourite individual act right in front of us. Last quarter they kicked a pisser from the boundary line and next play looked like a kick was going straight down Daniher's throat (geez I hate that campaigner). Weds was onto it came in to block the hole and knew he was going to get crunched but he did not hesitate …… he got hammered and felt it but Daniher did not mark it. Was brilliant and he wouldn’t have done that in his first season. That shit saves you games and stops momentum. Well done Weds and hope Mitch pumps up this act the entire week!

Last edited:
My favourite individual act right in front of us. Last quarter they kicked a pisser from the boundary line and next play looked like a kick was going straight down Daniher's throat (geez I hate that campaigner). Weds was onto it came in to block the whole and knew he was going to get crunched but he did not hesitate …… he got hammered and felt it but Daniher did not mark it. Was brilliant and he wouldn’t have done that in his first season. That shit saves you games and stops momentum. Well done Weds and hope Mitch pumps up this act the entire week!
There are times in a game as a defender when you’ve “got to go”, put your head in the slot and cop what’s coming.

He did exactly that.

It was his time to go and frankly I thought the knock might have done some serious damage.

Very important defensive effort. 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back