Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

He likes Tom Stewart and Nat Fyfe. Interesting... If he was to play his career as a defender surly he would be modelling his game on Stewart, but also he has the strength, size, speed, and competitive nature to be that big inside player like a Fyfe.

Best thing about this kid is he has the tools to become anything, it's up to him now and how he is developed.

Was a bit worried (again) when I saw "defender", but youse lot have excited me up with the winger talk. I just wonder why none of his junior coaches thought of that? You can always find another defender.
From what I've gathered (in the few hours since he joined us), he's only played in defence the last two years. Sounds like he's had a pretty versatile junior career.

Right. So death-riding the throwdogs next season it is!

And welcome Josh, "Weds", or maybe even "Del"?

Was a bit worried (again) when I saw "defender", but youse lot have excited me up with the winger talk. I just wonder why none of his junior coaches thought of that? You can always find another defender.
Weddle was the best defender in the country this year on form. All Australian FB, NAB TOTY CHB, the scalps of Cadman, Sheezel, and Lemmey. If you're a coach who wants to win, you don't take out your best defender to try him out as a mid or a wing when you've got a million guys vying for that already.

Think this point needs to be reinforced

WE DON'T SEE HIM AS A BACK FLANKER!

The comparisons to Birchall & Scrimshaw are moot our vision for him is Mark Blicavs

Looks to have heaps of talent. MM described as a utility/ wing I think.

I wouldn’t be getting too hung up on positions at this stage.

But a guy who has the athletic tools to play wing or mid but also ability to be an elite defender (on kpp an smalls) is a pretty exciting prospect.

This may have been confirmed prior. Can someone confirm for me.

We gave up pick 27, WB future 2nd and the Future 3rd we picked up via trade….?

So, our picks next year are unaffected? Yes

inverse of that - fairly sure it was our future second and third.

the F2 and F3 that we traded to Swans are tied to us....not the Dogs

Our picks for 2023 are currently

Round 1 - ours
Round 2 - dogs
Round 3 - dogs
Round 4 - Lions

Looks to have heaps of talent. MM described as a utility/ wing I think.

I wouldn’t be getting too hung up on positions at this stage.

But a guy who has the athletic tools to play wing or mid but also ability to be an elite defender (on kpp an smalls) is a pretty exciting prospect.
Combining his elite spring both standing and running jump with his ability to take a grab could probably webble him up forward at times as well.

Looking at his highlights the main thing that stands out for me is his speed.

Got a great fluid running motion, like a big powerful 100m sprinter.

I still think we will use him as a key defender though as all his assets shout out to me as being suited as key back who can run the ball (like a combination of Alex Rance and Sam Frost).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I was completely off looks like Sam has him down as a midfielder.

That could be a slow burn as it takes quite a while to learn the midfield craft.

He obviously thinks Josh can be an elite mid though to take this approach?
Honestly, it's far easier to be a midfielder than it is to play pretty much anywhere else on the ground.

One criticism of our list is we lack a players with genuine point of difference. However, Weddle seems a pretty unique type - elite defender (can play as kpp or smaller) but can likely play wing/mid. Blicavs is even more unique (as can play ruck) but it’s an interesting comparison - as not really many others in afl land (lots of hbf/mids but not kpp/mids).

Geelong benefited a heap by having Blicavs run the wing but then drop back to defence with needed (rather than having an extra defender on bench).

Can’t wait til he hits the track.

I'm gonna go old school, and declare him Anthony Koutafides-like!

(After a few years on the weights, at least)
He certainly runs like Kouta used to.

I can see the similarities, powerful 190cm athletes with great running ability.

I don't think Josh will have any problem reaching Kouta like body shae, he's not that far off it already!

Welcome Josh!

In reading BigFooty it seems that already you've joined the ranks of players like Osborne, Thorp and Maginness as the name most likely to be mis-spelt.

So pleased that you are a Hawk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back